Nadia: The secret of blue water

Discussions about anything anime-related.
Misato
Visitor

Nadia: The secret of blue water

Post by Misato »

Anyone else here watched Nadia and has an opinion?

I enjoyed the show very much. 39 episodes seemed a bit long and as a result many episodes don't go on with the mainplot about Blue Water, Atlantis and Gargoyle, but still those are entertaining thanks to Nadia's temper, Jean's optimism and of course Grandis and her guys in general. Since the setting is back in 1900 I think Grandis could be the Grandmother of Jesse from Team Rocket - could it be the ones resonsible for Pokemon took Grandis as a rolepmodel for Jesse? The red hair, the running-gag about the age, leading a team with a rough tone, all this talk about beauty and love. But maybe that's just me.
Another resemblance seems to be Disney's Atlantis. I still haven't seen that, but reading about the characters and looking at the designs makes me a bit suspicious there.

Nadia may not be one of the most intriguing animes ever, but no character seemed wasted (PLUS there is none that annoyed the hell out of me) and the plot is simple, yet effective, action packed and just fun to watch.
RedXIII
Visitor

Post by RedXIII »

You and WhoWantsToKnow would be perfect for each other 8)
Dawn
Full Metal Otaku

Re: Nadia: The secret of blue water

Post by Dawn »

I also saw the show and agree with you about Grandis. I loved it they had some greate episodes, but by the last episode I cryed it was so tauching and as Nadia's brother used his last will power to save his little sister...
“In my live,I already lost two people who I loved weary much and I don’t want to lose a third one.”-by Kurama

"Light and Drakness are twoo sides of life, bound by destiny...Light bears Darkness and Darkness bears Light..."-by me
Duuz
Uber Otaku

Post by Duuz »

Yeah, it was a good series. Much better than it's later version called "Evagelion" . If you pay attention closely a lot of the plot, philosiphy(sp?) and psuedo-science from Evangelion were already done in The Secret of Blue Water first, only done better. It was the same writers and animators after all.
"Charge! The Goddess of Victory is flashing her panties at us!" -Bittenfeld / Legend of Galactic Heroes
Lestat69_99
Absolute Otaku

Post by Lestat69_99 »

I have thought about taking a look at the series, but haven't gotten around to it.... I might have to put it on the top of my to do list if Duuz says it's good.
"Well, look who's back...Show him why we call it "SPLATTERHOUSE'."
Terror Mask
Duuz
Uber Otaku

Post by Duuz »

I never thought my opinion on such a thing could carry that much wieght. Just listening to the soundtrack that ADV has in the series boxed set, is it just me or does the music also sound a lot like the music used in Evangelion? I'm thinking same composer as well.

But I like a story that mixes encounters with Captain Nemo, the lost civilization of Atlantis and then throws Biblical references in for a grand feel to the story. And I felt it fit together rather well, only this is a daughter that has issues with her father. Can't tell you who, but you'll figure it out pretty fast.
"Charge! The Goddess of Victory is flashing her panties at us!" -Bittenfeld / Legend of Galactic Heroes