Page 3 of 4

re: Hiei and Kurama's Relationship Is...

Posted: Dec 09, 2005 2:40pm
by BlueDragon
(spoilers)

In one of the final episodes Kurama STATES in both the english and japanese version that he is not interested in Hiei like that.

re: Hiei and Kurama's Relationship Is...

Posted: Dec 09, 2005 3:53pm
by Battousai The Manslayer
Wow,you got proof right here that Kurama and Hiei are straight. I knew they were from the start and there was never a question in my mind that they were completely straight. I don't see why so many fangirls support yaoi relationships. I mean yaoi is just plain WRONG! :sick: I mean,come on ppl this is Hiei we are talking about. Does Hiei really seem like the kind of person that is a homosexual? He and Kurama are just close friends cuz Hiei's past is a dark one and he was probably betrayed by ppl before. So he just sees Kurama as a close friend and they are like brothers. Also Kurama is straight but is a bit more femimine than most other guys. :-k

re: Hiei and Kurama's Relationship Is...

Posted: Mar 07, 2006 7:58am
by rens_mine132
Well I think I can make a point here:

Seeing as the creator never says if they were gay or not, is it REALLY up to fans to decide? Seeing as the creator of mangas always makes characters that are friends, it isn't up to the fans to decide whether two characters have a budding relationship. Fans just want to make their experiance of viewing a program more enjoyable.

re: Hiei and Kurama's Relationship Is...

Posted: Aug 25, 2007 2:51am
by anna_1loveanime
they are just friends proof:
at the end of the anime Hiei remains with Mukuro (she falls in love with Hiei )
what is confusing in the last episode is the begining when Kurama sits next to Kwabara... and some girls pass by...they ask Kwabara if Kurama is his girlfriend :lol: ...Kwabara is like: " Are you kiddin'? his a boy"...then the girls laugh and ask if kurama is gay...

re: Hiei and Kurama's Relationship Is...

Posted: Aug 25, 2007 2:54am
by anna_1loveanime
the only relationship between Hiei and Kurama is friendship...for God's sake...there can't be anything else...the anime is not yaoi you know!

re: Hiei and Kurama's Relationship Is...

Posted: Aug 30, 2007 8:57am
by Battousai The Manslayer
But fangirls can defy all logic. What ever you do, do not anger the fangirls!

Re: re: Hiei and Kurama's Relationship Is...

Posted: Jan 26, 2008 11:23pm
by The Rage
Battousai The Manslayer wrote:But fangirls can defy all logic. What ever you do, do not anger the fangirls!
True, very true. They defy the stereotype of being 'the weaker sex.'
Anyways, I never believed that Kurama and Hiei had a romantic relationship, but I always tend to keep an open mind about these things.

After all, Kurama x Hiei is much better than Kurama/Hiei X Kagome. You would not believe how many Youko/Kurama X Kagome fans there are. Oh the horror...

Re: re: Hiei and Kurama's Relationship Is...

Posted: Feb 23, 2008 11:02pm
by Gyro Zeppeli
Rage wrote:After all, Kurama x Hiei is much better than Kurama/Hiei X Kagome. You would not believe how many Youko/Kurama X Kagome fans there are. Oh the horror...
WTF? Kagome? We aren't talking about Inuyashit. I believe you mean Keiko.

And I can't picture them with Keiko or each other

Re: Hiei and Kurama's Relationship Is...

Posted: Apr 22, 2008 1:42pm
by Krissake
Nah, he's talking about all the Kurama/Kagome or Hiei/Kagome fanfiction that permeates IY/YYH crossovers. It's nauseating (especially for a strict canonical fan like myself)

As for Hiei and Kurama, they are undoubtedly straight. They've demonstrated a close, brotherly relationship throughtout the series but nothing beyond that. Kurama even stated he doesn't like Hiei that way and vice versa. At the end of the manga, Kurama is seen(and looking rather happy, I may add) dating a classmate that looks like one of the Sailor Senshi; this is an intentional homage to Sailormoon since Togashi married Naoko Takeuchi during YYH's run. And Hiei and Mukuro remain together (and it's strongly implied to outright statement that they are entering a romantic relationship).

Togashi has also gone on record saying that the main protagonists are all heterosexual, and even went further about Kurama and Hiei stating that the illustrations of them together when the anime first started out was an independent decision of the animators to attract the female fanbase. Needless to say, it worked. He explicitly said he never intended for Hiei and Kurama to be seen that way in the original manga, so it's basically the producers' fault(though fangirls would still pair them together regardless).

I have nothing against Kurama/Hiei fans and they're free to worship the pair as it pleases them. But the fact is that canonically speaking, they're just good friends.

Re: Hiei and Kurama's Relationship Is...

Posted: May 25, 2008 6:10pm
by .:Aki-Kun:.
i thinkk hey are just friendly because, they been friends for so long for course its nothing else [censored] man

Re: Hiei and Kurama's Relationship Is...

Posted: Jul 18, 2008 5:29pm
by illius
Well, it is a shounen manga. Unless the mangaka wants to pull a J.K. Rowling on us, there's a high, high, high probability that their relationship is platonic. If the mangaka happens to be a yaoi fangirl, however, these might not be the circumstances.

Re: Hiei and Kurama's Relationship Is...

Posted: Jul 22, 2008 8:44am
by Yu_Fei
I think they're friendly, but in fanfics, they always sexually.

Re: Hiei and Kurama's Relationship Is...

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 3:17pm
by Elf Princess Warrior
I think they could be a gay couple. They are very close, and I have seen this sort of thing before with actual gay males. Plus, Yoshihiro Togashi has been asked that question before, and he would not give an answer. If they weren't gay, wouldn't he say "No they aren't gay", instead of waving it off? Japan is a 'don't ask don't tell' country. (Well, pretty much everyone else is too) (also, this answer refers to the anime, not the manga) and if a person/character is gay, its supposed to be more of a 'thats for me to know and you to find out.' This is exempted from actual shonen ai (or shojo ai) manga/anime, in which the focus of the story is homosexuality.
However, maybe in the manga, they have been said to be straight, but anime productions are always different. In some anime that I have seen, there are homosexual undertones between two male characters, and sometimes between two female characters. But, there really should be no argument over this, as in many anime, no two characters ever get together. Only a few have done this. So for those of you who say that Hiei and Mokuro got together, you can't say that either, there really is no proof for that pairing as well. Just because its a hetero pairing, and more normal, does not mean it can happen.

Re: Hiei and Kurama's Relationship Is...

Posted: Aug 07, 2008 9:59pm
by Krissake
Elf Princess Warrior wrote:I think they could be a gay couple. They are very close, and I have seen this sort of thing before with actual gay males. Plus, Yoshihiro Togashi has been asked that question before, and he would not give an answer. If they weren't gay, wouldn't he say "No they aren't gay", instead of waving it off? Japan is a 'don't ask don't tell' country. (Well, pretty much everyone else is too) (also, this answer refers to the anime, not the manga) and if a person/character is gay, its supposed to be more of a 'thats for me to know and you to find out.' This is exempted from actual shonen ai (or shojo ai) manga/anime, in which the focus of the story is homosexuality.
However, maybe in the manga, they have been said to be straight, but anime productions are always different. In some anime that I have seen, there are homosexual undertones between two male characters, and sometimes between two female characters. But, there really should be no argument over this, as in many anime, no two characters ever get together. Only a few have done this. So for those of you who say that Hiei and Mokuro got together, you can't say that either, there really is no proof for that pairing as well. Just because its a hetero pairing, and more normal, does not mean it can happen.
Elf Princess Warrior, he has been asked this before, and he explicitly stated that all the main protagonists were Heterosexual at least once if you read my post(so, I don't understand why you would say he "waves it off" because what I provided above what he was taken from one of the interviews he had, where he was rather detailed about it). They even had a moment in the OVA (derived from the manga) with Kurama clearly telling Hiei he doesn't "like him that way" when he mistakingly thought Hiei was going to give him a gift (but it was just Hiei giving him something meant for Yukina). So, there's no differentiation of their relationship in the anime adaptation either. They're simply friends either way you slice it.

But hey, that's what fanfictions for, right?

Re: Hiei and Kurama's Relationship Is...

Posted: Sep 11, 2008 8:04pm
by Dreams
Krissake wrote: At the end of the manga, Kurama is seen(and looking rather happy, I may add) dating a classmate that looks like one of the Sailor Senshi; this is an intentional homage to Sailormoon since Togashi married Naoko Takeuchi during YYH's run. And Hiei and Mukuro remain together (and it's strongly implied to outright statement that they are entering a romantic relationship).

Togashi has also gone on record saying that the main protagonists are all heterosexual
So, where's your proof for all this stuff Togashi supposedly said about the series?

Regardless, I believe that Hiei and Kurama are not a gay pair. However, there is no real proof that they are heterosexual, but in the same token, there is no real proof that they are not. Both of the female romantic interests they have provide very thin excuses for them possibly liking girls. I tend to feel that they're too haunted by their own demons to get involved with anyone, and because of the similarities of what they face, this binds them together in nothing more than a strong friendship... which is emphasized because they stick together in the face of both humans, and demons who've outcast them for helping humans.

As for Kurama dating a classmate at the end of the manga, that never happened. In book seven (and in one of the jump guides), they ran a story called "Two Shots". It chronicled Kurama's and Hiei's first meeting, when Kurama was in middle school. His classmate, Maya Kitajima, had a mad crush on him. Some lines ambiguously implied that he liked her back, but there was nothing definite, and even after he rescued her from the demon who kidnapped her, he erased her memory of the whole ordeal and parted ways with her. Plus, she did not look like a sailor scout. (There's other actual proof of YYH-SM crossover in the series.)

Hiei and Mukuro do not have anything romantic, and I find their interaction just as ambiguous as Kurama and Hiei. Rather, it's dramatic how Hiei and Mukuro empathize more strongly with each other than Hiei did with Kurama, which seems to be one of many reasons the duo splits paths at the end.

Re: Hiei and Kurama's Relationship Is...

Posted: Jun 11, 2009 12:47am
by Anomura
Dreams wrote:
However, there is no real proof that they are heterosexual, but in the same token, there is no real proof that they are not. Both of the female romantic interests they have provide very thin excuses for them possibly liking girls. I tend to feel that they're too haunted by their own demons to get involved with anyone, and because of the similarities of what they face, this binds them together...
Dreams, thank you so much for this. Your post articulated just about everything I have ever thought on this subject. The part about their being too haunted by their own demons to get involved with anyone rang very true, particularly in light of Kurama's (non-) relationship with Maya. However, I am a supporter of their being close—I don't really care what the nature is, as long as it's there and not some weak relationship between associates.

We studied this for my History of Manga class last semester. My sensei told us how, during the last year of publication, Shonen Jump came under a new editorship. This editor was so controlling and detestable that one by one, he managed to topple the three pillars of Jump (Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragon Ball Z and Slam Dunk). No one knows how much of the last three volumes of Yu Yu Hakusho can really be attributed to Togashi, so it's very likely that Hiei's relation to Mukuro (and his very conspicuous distancing from Kurama) was the editor's meddling.

Sensei also gave us some information on the mythology behind the manga. Apparently Hiei's green, many-eyed form is based off (I think he said Hindu?) mythology, on the figures of women who could not be with their lovers. We discussed the possibility of Togashi dropping hints that his editor had refused to let him include a shonen ai couple in the main cast of a shonen manga. Other hints emerged later in the manga, but as Dreams said, there is no real proof.

There are also rumors that Togashi, after completing the manga, was asked directly if Hiei and Kurama were a couple. He supposedly responded that he hadn't intended it, but that he had grown fond of the idea and "probably should have done it." Concrete evidence for this is just as difficult to find as the transcript for the alleged "no one was gay" interview, though.