Site Status

Talk about the website, offer suggestions, express opinions, and get help with understanding and using the forums.
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

re: Site Status

Post by Theo »

We enabled some items on the server to help cache files on the browser side. We found that there are a lot of page requests for the server for images and such that hardly ever change. For static pages and images we have enabled a 48 hours cache window (could be up to 24 hours less based on time zone). Basically it means that if you hit a page twice, your browser should not have to download the images twice (unless you clear your cache or have a flakey browser).

So things like the home pages and some of the forums appear faster. Only time will tell though.
Dretlin

Post by Dretlin »

Why cant everything just be perfect???? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Mai

Re: re: Site Status

Post by Mai »

-:D.Ř.Ę.Ŧ.Ļ.Ĭ .N:- wrote:Why cant everything just be perfect???? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
God hates us, that's why-.-'
I felt like a race horse in a world without racetracks or a champion college footballer suddenly confronted by Wall Street and a business suit, his days of glory shrunk to a little gold cup on his mantel with a date engraved on it like a tombstone.
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

I'm going to let this site run on autopilot for a week or two. So don't crash it. As for why, it's simple. I'm busy!

I went to Best Buy with my wife to buy some DVD+R's tonight. When I was there I saw one of the employee's walking over to the management office with a XBox 360. I didn't think anything of it. So we went and stood in line. They decided to snake the line through a make shift isle during the Christmas rush and kept it there. The line was slow, long and I was at the end. In the corner (5 feet away behind a fridge), I heard a couple employees laugh and say "Yes that's right, we have one XBox in the Appliance center. It's first come first serve". So I stepped back, put my hand out and said I'll take it.

The guy said "Really, are you serious". I noticed he had the mike in his hand. The other employed handed me the box. Just then, the message he broadcasted when over the load speaker... I was claimed even before the message was broadcasted...

I was going to take some time away from my networking duties to play but I have to wait for my wife to stop beating me first (I also bought a bunch of games). Hopefully there will be enough money in the bank to cover my medical bills and her bail for beating me :).

I hooked it up and the graphics are the best. It's hooked through the surround sound using fiber and hooked to the TV using component HDTV (42" WEGA). Call to Duty 2 is clean. I had to stop to do some work. I'm hoping to get some additional game time in this weekend.

Sorry Ken, I know you're a PS guy. But don't worry, when PS3 comes around I'll be ready.

After I get don't testing my XBox games to make sure they work, I might part with the old one.
Cold Revolver
Absolute Otaku

Post by Cold Revolver »

Theo wrote:I'm going to let this site run on autopilot for a week or two. So don't crash it. As for why, it's simple. I'm busy!

I went to Best Buy with my wife to buy some DVD+R's tonight. When I was there I saw one of the employee's walking over to the management office with a XBox 360. I didn't think anything of it. So we went and stood in line. They decided to snake the line through a make shift isle during the Christmas rush and kept it there. The line was slow, long and I was at the end. In the corner (5 feet away behind a fridge), I heard a couple employees laugh and say "Yes that's right, we have one XBox in the Appliance center. It's first come first serve". So I stepped back, put my hand out and said I'll take it.

The guy said "Really, are you serious". I noticed he had the mike in his hand. The other employed handed me the box. Just then, the message he broadcasted when over the load speaker... I was claimed even before the message was broadcasted...

I was going to take some time away from my networking duties to play but I have to wait for my wife to stop beating me first (I also bought a bunch of games). Hopefully there will be enough money in the bank to cover my medical bills and her bail for beating me :).

I hooked it up and the graphics are the best. It's hooked through the surround sound using fiber and hooked to the TV using component HDTV (42" WEGA). Call to Duty 2 is clean. I had to stop to do some work. I'm hoping to get some additional game time in this weekend.

Sorry Ken, I know you're a PS guy. But don't worry, when PS3 comes around I'll be ready.

After I get don't testing my XBox games to make sure they work, I might part with the old one.
LMAO :lol: :lol: Thats a great story, your lucky to get an x-box at this time of the year considering thye got pushed back here for at least 3 more months.
I heard the graphics were not that much different from the original x-box but I seen some images for elder scrolls oblivion and it look great.

Whats other games did you get? I was going to purchase an x-box 360 and perfect dark I hope you aquired that game :P. I myself am a lover of sony and look forward to the awsome power of the PS3, well enjoy your 360 Theo.
Can you find your name?
Amigos list: NickMistaColaJohnAmrayYMBedeMikeTycheAthosCloudTrishMatLust<33GioSerasErikBiki
KarinDretJessKoyue

I am not gay, I'm just colorful Betch! =-]
日本最大級のポータルサイト。検索、オークション
Visitor

Post by 日本最大級のポータルサイト。検索、オークション »

Theo wrote:I'm going to let this site run on autopilot for a week or two. So don't crash it. As for why, it's simple. I'm busy!

Lol like Cold Element said, nice story, lol. Well if you think that the graphics are good now you should see in a few months or more. I read that the games that are made now for X Box 360 only use 40% of the machines compability, so imagine when it gets to 100%? :lol: Although I doubt I'll ever get any new console....Im an old school guy and if I want to play console games I play stuff like NES or SNES
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

I've read a lot of review of people screaming that the graphics were "ok at best". But the problem is this console was designed for HDTV and many people are still using analog, which gives you only "ok at best" graphics. There is a noticable difference when you go to the configuration and change it from the default 480 under HDTV and 1080i HDTV as well.

I think it also depends a lot on the quality of the TV. Our plasma is very clear and very bright, which helps as well.
Cold Revolver
Absolute Otaku

Post by Cold Revolver »

Theo wrote:I've read a lot of review of people screaming that the graphics were "ok at best". But the problem is this console was designed for HDTV and many people are still using analog, which gives you only "ok at best" graphics. There is a noticable difference when you go to the configuration and change it from the default 480 under HDTV and 1080i HDTV as well.

I think it also depends a lot on the quality of the TV. Our plasma is very clear and very bright, which helps as well.
Yes thats all good, however you did not answer my question did you get perfect dark zero? How is that game if you did?
Can you find your name?
Amigos list: NickMistaColaJohnAmrayYMBedeMikeTycheAthosCloudTrishMatLust<33GioSerasErikBiki
KarinDretJessKoyue

I am not gay, I'm just colorful Betch! =-]
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

I did but I have yet to play it. It's one of 4 games that I got. Unfortunately I'm actually too busy to play today and tomorrow (we're incorporating our company and we've been working with HR companies and attorneys for the last 30 days). But at least I got it hooked up last night.
Mai

Post by Mai »

And people yell at me for going off topic. 8)
I felt like a race horse in a world without racetracks or a champion college footballer suddenly confronted by Wall Street and a business suit, his days of glory shrunk to a little gold cup on his mantel with a date engraved on it like a tombstone.
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

Not for going off topic but rather for being you :)
Mai

Post by Mai »

:shock: :x MEANIE!!!

Only kidding. :mrgreen: :wink:

Pffht. I'd sooooo ban you. :roll: Kidding. :mrgreen:

Soooo.. 8-[ ..How's that Xbox 360? I heard it's heroin for video gamers. :-s
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

Cold~Element wrote: Yes thats all good, however you did not answer my question did you get perfect dark zero? How is that game if you did?
Yes I did and the game is great. I got to play it for a while this morning between calls. I think the graphics on Call to Duty 2 are the best though. Project Gotham Racing isn't bad either, but racing games only keep my attention for so long.
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

Had a site hiccup today. I had to reboot a server today after applying a patch and it hung. This server is responsible for load balancing this site and several others. The failover for some reason didn't kick in like it was supposed to.
Battousai The Manslayer
Absolute Otaku

Post by Battousai The Manslayer »

Theo wrote:Had a site hiccup today. I had to reboot a server today after applying a patch and it hung. This server is responsible for load balancing this site and several others. The failover for some reason didn't kick in like it was supposed to.
Yea I had trouble coming to the forums a little earlier. Thx for fixing the problem. =D> :mrgreen:
Does God Exist?

<>Bleach Club 101<> Squad #5 Captain
Raptor Jesus went extinct for your sins. He is the true messiah.
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

We had an outage a little earlier. This was a network wide outage to upgrade a few pieces of hardware. It should have lasted 10 minutes. It wasn't until I dove 40 miles home and sat down did I realize we forgot to plug the network connection back into a critical piece of hardware.

As general policy, we are no enforcing "No crack smoking deployment days"... Maybe doing the deployment today was a bad idea as I stayed up all last night working out final details for it...

Anyways, the site appears to be back up, as with the other couple hundred of them.