Site Status

Talk about the website, offer suggestions, express opinions, and get help with understanding and using the forums.
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

re: Site Status

Post by Theo »

Not sure if you noticed, but the site has, on every, received 500k hits per day. This equates to 500k * 30 pages/images (per page) that are served (something like 18gb of traffic per day). There's a lot going on behind the scenes.
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Re: Site Status

Post by Theo »

I puchased a newer server this week. I will be migrating the web site and the database sometime next week (2/9/08 probably). The current environment consists of two seperate servers, the database and the web server. The database server also houses the common NFS share which has for some reason been spewing errors for the last couple weeks. It's also short on RAM as well. So the new server has a dedicated 4GB, which should make the database and web server scream. We won't know until the migration is complete. Also, the new server is running Fedora 8 x64, which is slightly newer than the existing OS.
The Evil Russell Crowe
Uber Otaku

Post by The Evil Russell Crowe »

So Theo, how's the missus?
I see a little silhouetto of a man...
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

Well, the new server rollout has been slightly delayed. When configuring the Linux box, I was too busy watching tv when I typed in the command "rf -rf /exports/wwwroot/ *". When I executed the command I was in the /etc folder. For those that manage Linux boxes, well, you know what happens next.

So I've rebuilt the server since then and I'm in the process of tweaking some of the configurations. I've also swapped drives. The drive I had in there had some hours on it after I looked into the smart drive status, so the new one has less than 10 hours.
Misunderstood Perv
Newbie Otaku

Post by Misunderstood Perv »

Yo Theo, fancy coming round to my house for tea tomorrow night?
Webmaster is so sexay.
josh
Absolute Otaku

Post by josh »

for christs sake would u just let the man do his job seiji!!

oi theo what are u doing this weekend? coz i'm having some of the boys over so if your interested in a couple cold brews at mine give us a call.
great friends: Jesus Christ. Dragon X. Locke. Ender. Bambi. Russel.
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

Let's see. What have I done/What am I doing this holiday weekend. Well, to answer that I have to go back two weeks. About two weeks ago we picked up a new dog. Collie/Austrialian Shepard mix. Very nice and friendly dog. He's has a lot of energy. So my wife decided that we would go on a walking hike this weekend, at least on Saturday that is. For those that know me, my body weight != hikes. So we decided to go on a short 4 mile hike in Sunol (that's 20 miles east of San Francisco for those that don't know). The hike was pretty gruesome. Mostly up hill. Down hill was short and step. I was pretty exhausted by the first mile. The kids were exhausted before we got out of the car (and they're in good shape). So as the hike continued up this hill, I found myself at a loss for energy, but luckily for me this dog had plenty. He literally pulled me up hill. This was pretty nice for the steeper hills, as it really took the stress of my legs, but downhill became a different manner.

So today I'm sitting here waiting for my calves to free up at they are pretty much locked right now.

The rest of the weekend has been spending time with family and remotely managing some servers.

That's the story, and I'm sticking to it.
syncthetempest
Baka Otaku

Post by syncthetempest »

This website rox my sox so far. :mrgreen: I like your FullMetal Alchemist and Naruto posts! Very informing, but dont be afraid to put in some- or a ton- of spoilers! Just warn me when they're coming!
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

The server was finally upgrade after a couple days of pain. Things seem to be working fine on the new box and performance seems to have also improved. If the site seems to respond slowly, please PM me and let me know so I can take a look at any problems.
webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

:yahoo: Holy crap! The site is wicked fast now! It even loads quicker than on my localhost. You must have some kind of mystical powers, sir....
:storm:
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

I'm just that good...
Dretlin

Post by Dretlin »

You pair of crazy wizard like guys you. 8)
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

Um, to comment I have to understand what you just said. :) First off, I'm not a Wizard, though sometimes I played one. In particular, FMT (fighter, mage, their). Granted multiclassing causes slower experience, but who cares as it just add's to the fun. As for crazy, you're probably not too far off on that one. My wife says that to me all of the time. In fact, that's her favorite quote "You have to be [explicit word removed] crazy to think that your going to get any if you buy that [insert my new tou here]." Needless to say, I still don't have a PS3. I will accept donations though.

The last part on the other hand is perplexing me. I've take English and Literature in college, and did well, but the phrase "like guys you" just has me plain confused. I've tried changing the words around but it still doesn't make sense. In fact, I think my brain hurts now...

Oh well, back to work (for me that is).
Jade_Steel_Hawk

Post by Jade_Steel_Hawk »

I bet he meant wizard-like. :)
"The reason I have such faith in God is because He showed me there is someone I could rely on once I lost faith in humanity."
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

If what you suggested were used we would have "You pair of crazy wizard-like guys you". In this case, I refer you to the Chewbacca defense.

"Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, Chef's attorney would certainly want you to believe that his client wrote "Stinky Britches" ten years ago. And they make a good case. Hell, I almost felt pity myself! But, ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense! Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests."

In this case, it still doesn't make any sense.
Dretlin

Post by Dretlin »

It did work in that awesome south park ep.