Site Status

Talk about the website, offer suggestions, express opinions, and get help with understanding and using the forums.
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

re: Site Status

Post by Theo »

Dretlin,

I had one of my guys change it to Dretlin. You were the only one that had really really special charaters in their username. I compared it with the pre upgrade username and they both appeared odd. I can always change it in the future, I just didn't know exactly what it was.
Dretlin

Re: re: Site Status

Post by Dretlin »

Theo wrote:Dretlin,

I had one of my guys change it to Dretlin. You were the only one that had really really special charaters in their username. I compared it with the pre upgrade username and they both appeared odd. I can always change it in the future, I just didn't know exactly what it was.

Woo...thx Theo. Does this mean I can still use special characters in my name?
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

Yes, I believe you can. The problem is that your username in the database (even before the upgrade of the database) looked likee this:

Code: Select all

-:Ä?.Å‿.Ę.Ŧ.Å?.Ϊ.Ň:-

Now it looks like

Code: Select all

-:D.R.E.T.L.I.N:-
Dretlin

Post by Dretlin »

Ok i think its working...but the D wont come up...

so right now its -:�?.Ř.Ę.Ŧ.Ŀ.Ī.Ņ :-

I will just use a normal D next time I can change it.
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

It's being stored at [-:�.Ř.Ę.Ŧ.Ŀ.Ī.Ņ :-] in the database again. This has to be PHPBB mangling the data to format in such a way that allows it to be stored in the database. The problem is that the database already allows for such storage. PHPBB is trying to be smarter than it needs to be.

This will be the same issue for saving the Japanese characters that are having problems. Hopefully we can find a simple solution to it.
Dretlin

Post by Dretlin »

I have total faith in you Theo. 8) 8) 8)
Mai

Post by Mai »

I'm totally confused. 8) 8) 8)
I felt like a race horse in a world without racetracks or a champion college footballer suddenly confronted by Wall Street and a business suit, his days of glory shrunk to a little gold cup on his mantel with a date engraved on it like a tombstone.
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

Yes, we know. It's easy to see that from your avatar. :D
日本最大級のポータルサイト。検索、オークション
Visitor

Post by 日本最大級のポータルサイト。検索、オークション »

This all seemes so interesting...Mhm...I was at first gonna act cool and say I understand it all but...I dont understand any of this

*scratches head*

Couldnt there be like easy explanations as like:

ex1)The forum will be faster
ex2)It will be worse
ex3)We have problems now

Instead of 10 sentences with words I cant read, lol. Anyways...if anything good is happening...great job Theo! If not...eh...keep working hard :)
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

Sure. But then again, this is more of a general communication to those that can use the information. Actually, the forum got the "short" version of the story. I think I sent Ken a small dissertation regarding the problem.

I'm used to writing very long detailed explanations to people. It's what I do for a living when they call me up to fix something and then they want to know why it was broken.

In fact, there are people on the list that probably do enjoy the lengthy explanation. For those that also run other forums it helps them with similar problems.

As for the inability there isn't much I can do about that. If it was a data issue :).
Visitor

Post by Guest »

Ah...Theo, Dretlin again. Because the "D" in my name is screwed up I am not able to login again...Could you change it do a D for me?
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

Its in a special encoding. I reset it back to Dretlin.
Mai

Re: re: Site Status

Post by Mai »

Theo wrote:Yes, we know. It's easy to see that from your avatar. :D
You Suck. 8) Just jokin around.

Soooooooooooooo if I put my name to like •°MªI°• It'll get all messed up? :-k :-s
I felt like a race horse in a world without racetracks or a champion college footballer suddenly confronted by Wall Street and a business suit, his days of glory shrunk to a little gold cup on his mantel with a date engraved on it like a tombstone.
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

The honest answer is "maybe". It shouldn't! The system supports it but PHPBB does it's own thing and it might mangle it. If it does we can reset it and you can try again.
Mai

Post by Mai »

If it mangles with it would my name come up like DRETLIN's does? With the whole.."-:Ä?.Å‿.Ę.Ŧ.Å?.Ϊ.Ň:- " thing?
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

I believe so. But if it does we can just go back into the database and change it back to Mai. The database is setup to store data in any language format BUT the application sees that it's Japanese and then screws it up. If it didn't do anything special all would work out well. They did this because many systems do not support multilingual format. So, they assume that no one does.