Site Status

Talk about the website, offer suggestions, express opinions, and get help with understanding and using the forums.
Mai

re: Site Status

Post by Mai »

Theo, you suck...

=]
I felt like a race horse in a world without racetracks or a champion college footballer suddenly confronted by Wall Street and a business suit, his days of glory shrunk to a little gold cup on his mantel with a date engraved on it like a tombstone.
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

For some reason the server that balances web requests to the site failed today. We had to restart the server. This server had failed originally when we first brought the load balances servers back online a couple weeks ago. We patched this server and it ran fine until 1:am last night, as which point in time the server had some type of problem. It happened at exactly 23:00 hours. (clock was off by two hours). So, it seems to be time dependent. The site may have continued to run after that but I cannot confirm this.
Dretlin

Re: re: Site Status

Post by Dretlin »

Theo wrote:For some reason the server that balances web requests to the site failed today. We had to restart the server. This server had failed originally when we first brought the load balances servers back online a couple weeks ago. We patched this server and it ran fine until 1:am last night, as which point in time the server had some type of problem. It happened at exactly 23:00 hours. (clock was off by two hours). So, it seems to be time dependent. The site may have continued to run after that but I cannot confirm this.

Will all these problems...just go away some day???
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

We are looking into it. I have documented the problems and will be submitting a bugzilla ticket over on the RedHat site. They are usually pretty good about getting to the bugs that can be identified but since this is one of those random things it's harder to fix. We will be working on making a cluster of the machine that has the problem. That way when it fails it will fail over to the working machine and email us that it's down. This way if it does fail we can then just bounce the box that is broken while the good one is serving the content.
Xehanort
Visitor

Post by Xehanort »

Thanks.On Pok'emon it was saying Pok'@mon.
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

We received some timeout alerts on the web site today but it was up. It appears that the forums are running slow for some reason. I checked the servers and they are all idle, for the most part. I did try loading eaccelerator for the forums and there was no noticable improvement/degradation. I will still look into the problem.
Mai

Post by Mai »

-.-Today...For maybe a couple of minutes the forums weren't accessable but all is well and dandy now.

=]
I felt like a race horse in a world without racetracks or a champion college footballer suddenly confronted by Wall Street and a business suit, his days of glory shrunk to a little gold cup on his mantel with a date engraved on it like a tombstone.
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

There was a really odd problem with the shared network drive today. The servers were still accessing it but they couldn't find any files (the files that make up this site). I disconnected/reconnected the network shares and it seemed to work. It was odd since it only affected this site and multiple web sites share the same network drive.

I'm suspecting it's a scipt that I recently put into place. If that theory holds true then it will happen again at 4:am pst. Then I can fix it.

We have also setup a set of alerts that if the web site fails it will email all of our techs. That's why we were on the problem in just a couple minutes.
Mai

Post by Mai »

It took me forever to get into this thread! I'm suprised I even did..This is happening with every thread I try to go into. It won't load up past the site directory parts. I can't see the thread and it doesn't load..Maybe it's just my PC? Wow..computers hate me =.=
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

It was fairly fast for me. Not sure why it's running slow for you. Try clearing your cookies and cache (as per the other threads).
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

There seems to be a hiccup on the network today. It has dropped a couple of connections causing people to get a page not displayed error. We will be replacing one of the core network switches if it persists. If this happens, there will be a short (20 minute) outage.
Mai

Post by Mai »

Do it! I can't get into certain threads. Especially the ones with like 45 pages...

o.O"
Cold Revolver
Absolute Otaku

Post by Cold Revolver »

Maybe this has already been brought up recently but I still wish to ask, when are you guys going to upgrade to faster more reliable servers? here at school I use T1 connection speeds and the site still lags tons... But at home I use dial up and it can be said that sometimes the site gets choppy. But being patient I wait it out cause I Love AA :D .
Can you find your name?
Amigos list: NickMistaColaJohnAmrayYMBedeMikeTycheAthosCloudTrishMatLust<33GioSerasErikBiki
KarinDretJessKoyue

I am not gay, I'm just colorful Betch! =-]
Theo
Host Admin
Host Admin

Post by Theo »

We have recently upgraded the servers. We currently have 3 good servers in place serving content for the site. I am hoping to put another couple in place at some point in time in the future, it's just a money thing. We have recently started reporting some statistics to see what the usage is like and how we can better address the issue of the servers.

Honestly, the site is slow because of the volume of traffic it receives. The site itself served some 20 million pages and images last week alone (images being the most common item served).
Mai

Post by Mai »

Last week it wasn't bad. Well, okay..Not as bad as it has been for the past couple of days.

Sounds tough what you and Ken have to do.

So..Chyah. Thanks^-^
Cold Revolver
Absolute Otaku

Re: re: Site Status

Post by Cold Revolver »

Theo wrote:We have recently upgraded the servers. We currently have 3 good servers in place serving content for the site. I am hoping to put another couple in place at some point in time in the future, it's just a money thing. We have recently started reporting some statistics to see what the usage is like and how we can better address the issue of the servers.

Honestly, the site is slow because of the volume of traffic it receives. The site itself served some 20 million pages and images last week alone (images being the most common item served).

I understand, thank you for answering my question. You do a great job.
Can you find your name?
Amigos list: NickMistaColaJohnAmrayYMBedeMikeTycheAthosCloudTrishMatLust<33GioSerasErikBiki
KarinDretJessKoyue

I am not gay, I'm just colorful Betch! =-]