More like Aboslute Incompetence:

Talk about the website, offer suggestions, express opinions, and get help with understanding and using the forums.
ekcoL
Visitor

More like Aboslute Incompetence:

Post by ekcoL »

Hi, Locke here (read name backwards for confirmation),

As you all know and are most likely happy about, I've been banned yet again. But I just want to leave you with my final, critical analysis:
The Absolute Anime forums have gone down the toilet. I remember a time when we had competent, intelligent moderators, of which, well, lets just get it out there, I was equivalent to the best, - with Ender and Dark Lilly.

The moderators we currently have are inconsistent and incompetent, and consequently, the forum itself has become a manifestation of incompetence in its pure form, and the moderator team a personification of ineptitude. The forums themselves are dying and now lack the substance and community spirit they once held. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming this all on the moderators, though they do significantly contribute.

Right now most people are thinking "gratuitous critique!" (...just because they don't know that word doesn't mean they're not thinking it)
This is not an erroneous insult for the sake of an insult.
Most of the moderators have no clue at all. I get regular PMs asking me "should I lock this?" or "which section should I move this thread to?". Simple things like that. Sometimes not so trivial/insignificant. (I'm not looking to denigrate individual people here, so I wont name these people, but if webmaster wants a list, which I hope he does, I can PM him a list of the names)
We have a moderator who takes his job to the extent that this crumby forum is his life. His outside life involves defamation on other sites about naughty users on this site. lmfao.
Another factor that highlights the incompetence is the incredulity of the fact that it took a number of weeks of me trying to get banned, to get banned.

The Absolute Anime forums have completely lost their charm. The only fun I could have (I'm good at drawing blood from stones) was created by my own genius. Now obviously few amongst us share that genius, so I'm trying to help these people enjoy the forum.

The website desperately needs revamping, and I do hope you take this post seriously. I would suggest the best place to start would be in firing a number of moderators from the plethora of incompetence, and retraining and instructing those that are of adequate competence/intelligence.

The ones that are of adequate competence include:

- 芸者男の子
- Vash
- Sailor Universia (not on often)
- Numbuh One
- Anner

I gathered these from the list of moderators, so I am assuming some of the other moderators I thought did a good job have removed themselves?

If anybody wants to engage me in discussion, take the liberty of putting some thought into your post.
If this post is deleted, such action will serve only to demonstrate and evidence my main point of contention.
But hey I wont be surprised if it is!

I sincerely wish the Absolute Anime website and all its members all the best for the future.
Cold Revolver
Absolute Otaku

Re: More like Aboslute Incompetence:

Post by Cold Revolver »

Sweet, Should we all plan for a party? well since he is gone maybe we should hold up on the wine and the fruit baskets because he might be back with his Big head and all his lil people. Maybe we should all plan ahead for the day when Locke actualy uses his Head and shuts the hell up, that way we can brace our selves and laugh it off and go back to our every day lives. Instead he wrote this Long Long post to be worshiped thinking he is actualy worth something. Well anyways sorry to hear that man maybe you will Last longer the next time you decide to be a jackass. (He realy like to thinks he is in charge) He can be mistaken for a dominatrix.

Now I predict he will write a pointless pm insulting me, very Long infact. If not he will think of a long or semi short come back to the means of no return.
Last edited by Cold Revolver on May 08, 2006 5:46am, edited 1 time in total.
Can you find your name?
Amigos list: NickMistaColaJohnAmrayYMBedeMikeTycheAthosCloudTrishMatLust<33GioSerasErikBiki
KarinDretJessKoyue

I am not gay, I'm just colorful Betch! =-]
webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

:crazy: He talks about the forums going down the toilet, and then admits he's been acting in such a way as to purposely get banned... for several weeks! Guess I should probably turn his temporary suspension into a permanent ban.
Cody-kins
Absolute Otaku

Post by Cody-kins »

webmaster wrote::crazy: He talks about the forums going down the toilet, and then admits he's been acting in such a way as to purposely get banned... for several weeks! Guess I should probably turn his temporary suspension into a permanent ban.
agreed
Deep into darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal has ever dared to dream before
ekcoL
Visitor

Post by ekcoL »

webmaster wrote::crazy: He talks about the forums going down the toilet, and then admits he's been acting in such a way as to purposely get banned... for several weeks! Guess I should probably turn his temporary suspension into a permanent ban.
Whilst I'm sure that that was a satisfactory empowerment for you, could you perhaps consider for a moment the full scope of the content of my post, instead of dismissing it entirely?
Or is the implication that I am responsible for all the forums' shortcomings? (which can potentially be remedied!)
I guess that that will be measured by the sudden, drastic improvements foreseeable now that I have been banned.
Me being a prick is a result of the condition of the forums, not vice versa. Please don't tell me we're going to get into a "What came first, the chicken or the egg?" argument...
Sanger Zomvolt
Absolute Otaku

Post by Sanger Zomvolt »

I mean no insult to anyone here, and I do realize that I am probably committing suicide right here, but I must admit that Locke does have a point, and to some extent it does make sense. While I never really noticed Locke's recent behavior (since I have been on-off in terms of posting and reading the forums), I have noted a deterioration in terms of forum activity, which also explains why I have been frequenting AA less and less. To be perfectly honest, AA is just not the same anymore.
"Believe in the oath sworn through courage"
webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

Locke, I am always open to suggestions for improving the forums and making them a better place to visit. What I'm not open to is slinging insults, which is what much of your post does. As I have told you before, there is a big difference between constructive criticism and spewing insults for the sake of hurting people.

I have never accused you of single-handedly making the forums a horrible place to visit, but you did admit that you have purposely been acting poorly for several weeks. There is no argument about which came first, because it doesn't matter. What matters is that you has been acting poorly! You can't blame the state of the forums for that, as it was your choice. Nobody forced you to type what you did.

You were suspended for intentionally ccircumventing the word censors for the sole purpose of swearing, which is against the rules. There was absolutely no excuse for that. You cannot claim that it was the forum's fault, and you cannot claim that it was to help improve the forums. For a normal user, I would have given one warning before suspending them. You, on the other hand, used to be a moderator, and a good one at that, so you KNEW this was inappropriate, and yet went and did it anyway.

If you want to help improve the forums, then HELP! Make suggestions, offer constructive criticism. But if all you really want to do is act like a jerk then just go get lost, find some other forums to torment. DO NOT come on here and blame you actions on the state of the forums or say that you're doing it to help.
Shinmeiryuu
Visitor

Post by Shinmeiryuu »

First off: If you are so livid about how the moderating team has become "Incompetent" then why don't you apply for modship, get the job, and do all the work your damn self.

Second: As for your statements on the board going down the toilet, your really haven't given any conclusive evidence to the fact, therefore, I'm not in a position to believe you. Yes, the board may seem as though it's not getting as many hits as before, but the same thing happens to alot of message boards. The decline in member activity can be attributed to a number of things, including the time of year(summer is approaching, and all the kiddies will be let out of school, which means more member activity for the board),dedication the members have to posting, the number and types of threads/post made on a daily to monthly basis, and it could just be the fact that the overall atmosphere of the board could be changing in one way or another. Boards don't "go down the toilet" because of incompetent mods/admins. I should know, I used to frequent the Adult Swim Message Boards all the time.

Third: All you did your intial post was whine and make assinine comments, insults, and baggerings to the staff. You didn't really give any evidence to prove a damn thing you insinuated. Now, you show me some board statistics, or a few links to threads showing the mods' "incompetence," then I may be in a position to agree with you. Otherwise, I'm not convinced.
Vash
Uber Otaku

Post by Vash »

Shinmeiryuu wrote:First off: If you are so livid about how the moderating team has become "Incompetent" then why don't you apply for modship, get the job, and do all the work your damn self.
Locke has been a moderator here. He has even been a Top Mod.
Anner <3
\,,/
Shinmeiryuu
Visitor

Post by Shinmeiryuu »

Vash wrote:
Locke has been a moderator here. He has even been a Top Mod.[/quote]

I suspected this. Though, like I said, if he doesn't like the way other mods are doing things he should just do everything himself if he is so "competent" to do so. What he posted wasn't constructive critisism, it was just arbitrary judgment by comparing his "awesome" degree of modship to the degree of the other mods. Mods are people, not gods, they are not perfect, and that goes for him as well.
Vash
Uber Otaku

Post by Vash »

Shinmeiryuu wrote:
Vash wrote:Locke has been a moderator here. He has even been a Top Mod.
I suspected this. Though, like I said, if he doesn't like the way other mods are doing things he should just do everything himself if he is so "competent" to do so. What he posted wasn't constructive critisism, it was just arbitrary judgment by comparing his "awesome" degree of modship to the degree of the other mods. Mods are people, not gods, they are not perfect, and that goes for him as well.
Ok, then I missunderstood the post above in that way. I thought you forgot that he was a mod.
Anner <3
\,,/
Cold Revolver
Absolute Otaku

Post by Cold Revolver »

Actualy he did Vash he failed to read Locke's "Initial Post" and the webmasters, in both of there post's it clearly said he was a mod. I think Shinmeiryuu Posted just to put his 2 sence into the matter. Next time Shinmeiryuu make sure you read everyone's posts before you continue. :D No worries.

Not to mention man, your fairly New to the AA boards so how would you know how the boards used to be?
Can you find your name?
Amigos list: NickMistaColaJohnAmrayYMBedeMikeTycheAthosCloudTrishMatLust<33GioSerasErikBiki
KarinDretJessKoyue

Shinmeiryuu
Visitor

Post by Shinmeiryuu »

Actually, I was going to post that I hadn't been here for that long, but I decided not to. That's why I asked him for evidence to prove to me that the boards are "going down the toilet."

And yes, it does clearly indicate, now that I look back, that he was a mod. I know, I'm a b*stard for not realizing, but I'm not going to dwell on my past mistakes.
Cold Revolver
Absolute Otaku

Post by Cold Revolver »

lol No worries man. :)
Can you find your name?
KarinDretJessKoyue

ekcoL
Visitor

Post by ekcoL »

Shinmeiryuu wrote:First off: If you are so livid about how the moderating team has become "Incompetent" then why don't you apply for modship, get the job, and do all the work your damn self.

Second: As for your statements on the board going down the toilet, your really haven't given any conclusive evidence to the fact, therefore, I'm not in a position to believe you. Yes, the board may seem as though it's not getting as many hits as before, but the same thing happens to alot of message boards. The decline in member activity can be attributed to a number of things, including the time of year(summer is approaching, and all the kiddies will be let out of school, which means more member activity for the board),dedication the members have to posting, the number and types of threads/post made on a daily to monthly basis, and it could just be the fact that the overall atmosphere of the board could be changing in one way or another. Boards don't "go down the toilet" because of incompetent mods/admins. I should know, I used to frequent the Adult Swim Message Boards all the time.

Third: All you did your intial post was whine and make assinine comments, insults, and baggerings to the staff. You didn't really give any evidence to prove a damn thing you insinuated. Now, you show me some board statistics, or a few links to threads showing the mods' "incompetence," then I may be in a position to agree with you. Otherwise, I'm not convinced.
The "proof" that the boards have gone down the toilet is the fact that the boards have, for a lot of people, become a whole lot less enjoyable to visit. You have only been here since April the 14th. I have been at this forum since when we only had about 20 members and i have witnessed the forums deteriorate. You lack perspective, hence the meat of your entire post is almost inadmissible.

When I was moderator, I did a very large portion of the work. Not necessarily in terms of the actual moving and locking of threads (though I did a lot of that too), but in guiding the other moderators in the "mod discussions" section (which only moderators may view). I eventually resigned due to the ridiculous amount of infighting that goes on in there (not that that is necessarily always a bad thing, its good to resolve issues and come to agreements within the team about issues...that said a lot of it was personal attacks, idle banter, etc).

I don't understand why you seem to associate and equate the amount of "hits" with the amount of "goodness". I'm refering to the sense of community spirit and forum atmosphere. Might sound lame. I have watched the level of user activty fluctuate throughout my time here and it is of no great concern to me, Mrs./Mr. Assumption.

Webmaster, perhaps we can look beyond my behaviour for a while. I understand that what I did was wrong. I gave up on the forum, and acted stupidly. I admit that. But. I do want to see the forum improve. Just being a good example wont help significantly.

My suggestions were re-training and informing moderators to a greater extent, and yes, firing a few. The forum needs revamping and reorganisation.
We need to rekindle the proactive spirit and probably lynch a few people in the process.
The thing which annoyed me the most was the inconcsistency on the forum. I do think that moderators should be more consistent, but also more lax. I understand the PG13+ rating on the forum, but sometimes I think moderators are far too strict.
The emphasis should be on having fun. The inconcsistencies cause people to be unsure whether or not they can do certain things.
Moderators should more actively engage with each other (I have seen mod discussions recently), and operate as a more cohesive unit.
Another thing which should take place in my opinion, is that imput from regular users is encouraged more.
If the moderator team functions more competently, general user input and participation is reinforced, then the Absolute Anime forums can become as enjoyable, if not more enjoyable, than they once were.

If you encourage moderators to work together and talk about issues concerning the forum and its use, get some consistency, more actively seek to improve the forum, as opposed to expecting it to be a self-perpetuating entity, I'm certain AA will be a better place. :).
Baka-Tenshi
Ex-Moderator

Post by Baka-Tenshi »

I'm completely out of it, hm. I have to agree with Locke, I've lost interest in this place and have left it, and come back, time and time again. I come back because of those days long since past, the good times. I don't have a lot to say, on this matter, beside's that this really isn't the I remember. I still love the place, because of the memories it gave me.

On another topic, Locke, you take care wherever you go. Getting away from this issue, you rock from my book. Take care of yourself and don't be a stranger on MSN alright? When's the last time we talked... and I think the only times we did was mod business, or with Morgan.. but, like I said, be well now, alright?
Yes, I'm back. For real this time. I swear it to the high heavens.