a suggestion

Talk about the website, offer suggestions, express opinions, and get help with understanding and using the forums.

Should mod votes be limited by IP address?

You may select 1 option

View results

Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

a suggestion

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

Well there have been as of recently a problem with 1 person with multiple accounts voting multiple times in a mod app, this does not seem fair because it's only 1 person with the same opinion.

My suggestion is to limit the number of votes to 1 vote per IP address, I'm not sure if that is possible or not but I thought I'd bring it up anyways.

Thanks
Last edited by Aoi Sakuraba on Feb 12, 2008 11:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
(*Bleach 101 ARMY*) - General 陸軍大将 Rikugun Taishō (****)
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
scorpionwarrior
Absolute Otaku

Re: a suggestion

Post by scorpionwarrior »

I agree, I know someone has voted more than once in my mod app, But can't say names cause no proof.
"The world isn't perfect. But it's there for us, doing the best it can....that's what makes it so damn beautiful." - Roy Mustang

Xbox Gamertag:ScorpionElite27
SASSZAIN

Post by SASSZAIN »

Aoi Sakuraba wrote:Well there have been as of recently a problem with 1 person with multiple accounts voting multiple times in a mod app, this does not seem fair because it's only 1 person with the same opinion.

My suggestion is to limit the number of votes to 1 vote per IP address, I'm not sure if that is possible or not but I thought I'd bring it up anyways.

Thanks
I know this is definitely Possible. Newgrounds.com Uses that same idea. I do not, however, know how difficult it would be to impliment..

ALSO! This could create issues, with those FAMILY users on AA. I know we have at least three actual siblings that are a part of the AA community. If i'm not wrong, this system would make it so that the entire household would have to agree upon one vote.. Though, I may be mistaken..
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

yea I guess I didn't think of that.....
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
Commander Sparx
Absolute Otaku

Post by Commander Sparx »

Well in real life you only known as one person not many, so here there should me one account to one person.
Commander Sparx from Planet Delta First commando of the Central base, Long live the Sliver Blades!
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

Commander Sparx wrote:Well in real life you only known as one person not many, so here there should me one account to one person.
The only way to make sure it's 1 account per person is with the IP limit and as SASSZAIN said that would cause problems with families because they would share the same IP address
Raoul Duke
Absolute Otaku

Post by Raoul Duke »

Might I venture to suggest and point out, that webmaster doesn't raelly care how many "yes/no" votes the applicant has? That seems evident enough given his choices, which seems more to do with the quality of the aps, the quality of the users, and the quality of the responses to their actual aps.

Kaoru Hanabishi
Full Metal Otaku

Post by Kaoru Hanabishi »

mmm... Good suggestion hun, though be tricky to implement. Since a large number of companies these days uses Dynamic IP Address for secure and re-use same address pool.

Dynamic IP Address - was created initially to solve the problem of IP Address shortage in IP4v (Internet Protocol 4v). Where an Internet Provider would have one range of address and when a user get online they would be randomly assigned with a free one. When the user stops using that numbr it get chucked back into the pool and get re-used again. This also improve security as the IP Address changes prevents people to track the same person again. Though there is way to find out if you really wanted to...

There is a high possiblilty by the time a user login next time to an Internet Provider their IP address has changed. This is worth thinking on, I'll try look it up or ask my friends there should be a way.

Though Locke you do make a good point, this still leaves the possibility of multi-user accounts putting in quality responses in an application.
(*Bleach 101 Army*) - Recruit
Slash
Uber Otaku

Post by Slash »

Raoul Duke wrote:Might I venture to suggest and point out, that webmaster doesn't raelly care how many "yes/no" votes the applicant has? That seems evident enough given his choices, which seems more to do with the quality of the aps, the quality of the users, and the quality of the responses to their actual aps.

In the past I think that held true, but for the first time he actually created a poll asking AA users to vote for which one they thought would be fit.

The differance between now and then is that now there seems to be quite a few high quality apps floating around, all who would be good for the job. I think Webmaster is seeing which one gets along with most of AA. Usually applicants don't face off with one-another in literal head-to-head competition, but for the first time I can remember, it seems like that's the case now. While to me, it seems kinda like a glorified popularity contest, it does show who gets along with everyone.
"Yeah, that's right. Turd Ferguson. It's a funny name."
Raoul Duke
Absolute Otaku

Post by Raoul Duke »

Ah, I didn't know about this. I highly doubt that having more people vote for one is an indication of, or qualifies one to be a better mod, however.

You wont make a good mod if you try to please everybody.
Commander Sparx
Absolute Otaku

Post by Commander Sparx »

Why are ts there in the first place?
Commander Sparx from Planet Delta First commando of the Central base, Long live the Sliver Blades!
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

I get a new IP address every time I log on or restart my computer :/
Yeah, you were right about me, but can I get myself out from underneath this guilt that will crush me? in the choir, I saw our sad Messiah he was bored and tired of my laments
He said, "I died for you one time, but never again"
Hardcore
Absolute Otaku

Post by Hardcore »

My IP changes monthly or something like that.
Not too sure it'd work >.>
Decisions to decisions are made and not bought, but I thought this wouldn't hurt a lot. I guess not.
syncthetempest
Baka Otaku

Post by syncthetempest »

This is completly off subject but... is tht Aoi Sakuraba related to Motoi Sakuraba? if so, she is automatically AWESOME!!!! LONG LIVE MOTOI!!!!