Most overrated anime

Discussions about anything anime-related.
Sanger Zomvolt
Absolute Otaku

Re: Most overrated anime

Post by Sanger Zomvolt »

Soubi wrote:The whole Gundam series (from the first to the last. But i am in love with GW}

Perhaps you did not read the title of the tread. It asks what is the most overrated anime.

Universal Century Gundam (which makes up for the bulk of Gundam anime) is incredibly unpopular in the United States, with Bandai-USA estimating a total of merely 5000 paying fans. Did you ever wonder why Bandai pulled the plug on its American Gundam kits? Because Gundam was so unpopular that they just weren't selling. Why else would Amazon sell $200 Perfect Grade models for $20? Sure, a few Gundam animes were overrated (SEED was decent, Wing was stank, and SEED DESTINY was crap), but the majority of Gundam anime is highly unpopular in the American market and is quite underrated.

To say that First Gundam is overrated is an insult. Mobile Suit Gundam was by far one of the most influential and groundbreaking animes of its time, setting the standard for future animes. Previously, every mecha show was a formulaic super robot bashfest. Mobile Suit Gundam started the trend of the Real Robot anime, utilizing realistic combat sequences, the realization of the mech as a tool, instead of as a superhero, the use of deep intricate storylines, and (typically) the use of character deaths to advance plot and character development, all traits that had never been used or seen before.

Every other Real Robot anime including- but not limited to- Fang of the Sun Dougram, Patlabor, Round Vernian Vifam, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, Interdimensional Calvary Southern Cross, Genesis Climber Mospeada, Orguss, Super Powered Tracer Layzner, Martian Successor Nadesico, Full Metal Panic, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Metal Armor Dragonar, Rahxephon, Zegapain, etc... would not even be around if it were not for First Gundam.

I find wide sweeping generalities about Gundam quite often, and most of the time, the poster has only watched at most, one or two different Gundam animes. Statements like these irritate me a great deal, and it irritates me even more when one states that Wing (or SEED) is the only good Gundam anime. I find it hard to believe that someone can say that original and highly distinct animes suck, while at the same time praise Wing (or SEED), both of which merely rehash elements and ideas from these so-called "overrated animes".

Continuing on with my point, it is impossible to generalize Gundam together, as in the case of Gundam, every entry in the Gundam family is completely different in terms of style, plot, themes, and setting. For example, First was about a war between two spheres of influence, while Zeta and Double Zeta were similar to Star Wars in that they involved a guerrila war against a corrupt regime. 0080 was a human drama, focusing on characters and showing the brutality of war, while G was a homage to the Super Robot animes of the 70s. X was about the Earth rebuilding after a devastating war that killed 99% of the population, and Turn A was about a war between the Earth (which had reverted back to a 1800s-1900s Victorian technological setting) against the technologically superior Moon colonists. The only exeptions to this rule are Wing, SEED and SEED Destiny, with Wing and SEED rehashes of First Gundam, and SEED Destiny a rehash of Zeta Gundam.
"Believe in the oath sworn through courage"
Soulstealingangel
Visitor

Post by Soulstealingangel »

Well ur all right at times every anime gets lame and pointless but come on give them a break the only anime i don't like anymore is DBZ and all related anime i guess i still have much to learn lol
Battousai The Manslayer
Absolute Otaku

Post by Battousai The Manslayer »

I don't see how DBZ is overrated. There are large numbers of people who like it and there are also large numbers of people who dislike it. Its popularity seems pretty rounded out if you ask me. :|
Does God Exist?

<>Bleach Club 101<> Squad #5 Captain
Raptor Jesus went extinct for your sins. He is the true messiah.
thirdimpact6633
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by thirdimpact6633 »

No offence or anything Gogeta, but you should watch an anime completely before you critisize it (unless that anime is FLCL). I feel that Evangelion only appeals to certain people, people who like to analyze. Evangelion deals with Religion and psychology mostly, and i can understand how that won't spark in some people's heads. Personally i feel that Evangelion is the best because it's much more complex then ur basic anime, and it leaves people (who have seen the movie) pretty stunned at it's outcome.

But on to Overatedness, I think FLCL is just too crazy to be an anime. It has no backstory, and it leaves anyone who sees it's first episode confused. It's storyline is too basic and it's just too screwy. I probably don't like it cause i like animes with a serious attitude to them.
Battousai The Manslayer
Absolute Otaku

thirdimpact6633 wrote:No offence or anything Gogeta, but you should watch an anime completely before you critisize it (unless that anime is FLCL). I feel that Evangelion only appeals to certain people, people who like to analyze. Evangelion deals with Religion and psychology mostly, and i can understand how that won't spark in some people's heads. Personally i feel that Evangelion is the best because it's much more complex then ur basic anime, and it leaves people (who have seen the movie) pretty stunned at it's outcome.

But on to Overatedness, I think FLCL is just too crazy to be an anime. It has no backstory, and it leaves anyone who sees it's first episode confused. It's storyline is too basic and it's just too screwy. I probably don't like it cause i like animes with a serious attitude to them.
I've already said that these are my opinions so far. My opinions are subject to change as I continue to see more of these particular animes. Also, certain anime may not appeal to me even though it has a large number of fans. Therefore, it is unlikely that I would see any reason to keep watching it if I disliked it.
Does God Exist?

orochi-kun majidani
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by orochi-kun majidani »

phantomdark wrote:Inuyasha- evrybody loves the show when all it is is a dog with a sword

Dont hate.Its a feel good story, and some actually watch it all the way through.
"What is any life, if not the persuit of a dream?"
-simple: a nightmare.
Battousai The Manslayer
Absolute Otaku

Deacon wrote:Overrated anime? Oh, that's simple: almost all the shounen.

There are countless shounen anime. I doubt you've seen most of them. :|
Does God Exist?

Deacon
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by Deacon »

SSJ_Gogeta wrote:There are countless shounen anime. I doubt you've seen most of them. :|

"These are my opinions so far. My opinions are subject to change as I continue to see more of these particular animes. Also, certain anime may not appeal to me even though it has a large number of fans."
La vita fugge et non s'arresta un'ora [...]
Battousai The Manslayer
Absolute Otaku

Deacon wrote:
SSJ_Gogeta wrote:There are countless shounen anime. I doubt you've seen most of them. :|

"These are my opinions so far. My opinions are subject to change as I continue to see more of these particular animes. Also, certain anime may not appeal to me even though it has a large number of fans."
Nice :shock: 8)

Even so there are countless shounen anime. Being able to see even a few episodes of all of them is nearly impossible. :P
Does God Exist?

Twilight Night Wolf
Uber Otaku

Post by Twilight Night Wolf »

One Piece.
There is no true good, or evil even the best of good intentions can cause negative effects to take place.
andreya-chan
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by andreya-chan »

Ayashi no Ceres - one word boring
Pround member of the Akito heatrs club
A Krad-sama lover!!!!
Pround member of The Tres and Abel FanClub
Duuz
Uber Otaku

Post by Duuz »

I agree with Zengar about Gundam Wing, way overated.

I'll also go with Evangelion as well. I understood what was going on, but when you get right down to it all the religious sybolism was just a distraction for the real story about a boy that had issues with his father.
"Charge! The Goddess of Victory is flashing her panties at us!" -Bittenfeld / Legend of Galactic Heroes
Gambit
Visitor

Post by Gambit »

Hmm....Digimon and Pokemon too.

Pokemon just got too repetitive, basically the same story with different characters and a slight variation every once in a while.

Digimon: I'm not sure which one came first but Digimon seemed too similar to Pokemon, not to mention it annoyed the crap out of me.
Gyro Zeppeli
Absolute Otaku

Post by Gyro Zeppeli »

Inuyasha: As mentioned before WAY too long and its just a dog with a sword and it has nothing special. Yu Yu Hakusho does a better job of pretty much the same basic idea, just ommits all of the pointless filler and cheesy romances that distract you from the main plot.

One Piece: Good but not great same as mentioned before. However I have not seen the entire thing and that may change.
In the beginning was the Win, and the Win was with Gai, and the Win was Gai.

Raptor Jesus went extinct for your sins. He is the true messiah
Twilight Night Wolf
Uber Otaku

Post by Twilight Night Wolf »

Aizen Sousuke wrote:Hmm....Digimon and Pokemon too.

Pokemon just got too repetitive, basically the same story with different characters and a slight variation every once in a while.

Digimon: I'm not sure which one came first but Digimon seemed too similar to Pokemon, not to mention it annoyed the crap out of me.

I'll add Pokemon to my list as well and Digimon came first.
There is no true good, or evil even the best of good intentions can cause negative effects to take place.
kekiko67
Full Metal Otaku

Post by kekiko67 »

i know when i first saw digimon i was like OMG this is a pokemon rip off!
while my heart overflows your hatred mops it up