Sub or Dub? The never ending battle in anime.

Discussions about anything anime-related.

Sub or Dub?

Sub
44%
Dub
22%
Really don't care as long as I can watch my anime.
33%

Total votes: 27

Pink Supervisor|EL
Absolute Otaku

Re: Sub or Dub? The never ending battle in anime.

Post by Pink Supervisor|EL »

Raws only for people who understand jap :roll: ... from subs i can get single words and such but i have no desire to actually take classes
Assassin of the Black Knights
Naru-chan's hubby50 YEN FEE TO CALL ME PINK
PINOY PRIDE ^_^
I'm in Dispair! (insert random social problem here) has left me in dispair!
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

Mongolian Chop Squad|EL wrote:
Champagne wrote:
Mongolian Chop Squad|EL wrote:really depends on the series...

for example in Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad by far the Dub was better (imo) but the Japanese version made ALOT more sense...the rapper in the jap version was better, but the english voices really fit...

for naruto i hate the eng version it's terrible! the Fansub is the way to go ^_^

Bleach...i'm content with the voice acting except Uriyu's...it's soo bad XD

Love Hina i prefered the Jap version far more...

Funny because I was gonna say the exact OPPOSITE. Though I'm not being entirely fair because I have yet to watch enough of the Beck dub to make a fair comparison, but from what I saw it was terrible and probably the only serious that I watched that there was a huge difference. I didn't like the way Koyuki talked at all, and with all the language issues thats in the Anime I don't know how its gonna work out.

Anyway I haven't really tried tracking down the English dub so I guess its a more to be continued.
i watched the dub first and i found the singer in the english version had more of a clear voice, but the jap seiyus (i believe there were 2 for koyuki) had by far more energy as it was an actual band playing ^_^
Ah I actually watched the sub first, I haven't gotten as far as him singing yet because I haven't found, or to be more accurate, I haven't looked for it yet. Where do you watch it? Plus I dislike Japanese music for the most part and I actually found myself liking majority of the music in Beck.

I can hook you up with the Beck manga if ya want, the Anime only shows a small part of the manga which is unfinished.
Yeah, you were right about me, but can I get myself out from underneath this guilt that will crush me? in the choir, I saw our sad Messiah he was bored and tired of my laments
He said, "I died for you one time, but never again"
Pink Supervisor|EL
Absolute Otaku

Post by Pink Supervisor|EL »

Champagne wrote:
Mongolian Chop Squad|EL wrote:
Champagne wrote:
Mongolian Chop Squad|EL wrote:really depends on the series...

for example in Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad by far the Dub was better (imo) but the Japanese version made ALOT more sense...the rapper in the jap version was better, but the english voices really fit...

for naruto i hate the eng version it's terrible! the Fansub is the way to go ^_^

Bleach...i'm content with the voice acting except Uriyu's...it's soo bad XD

Love Hina i prefered the Jap version far more...

Funny because I was gonna say the exact OPPOSITE. Though I'm not being entirely fair because I have yet to watch enough of the Beck dub to make a fair comparison, but from what I saw it was terrible and probably the only serious that I watched that there was a huge difference. I didn't like the way Koyuki talked at all, and with all the language issues thats in the Anime I don't know how its gonna work out.

Anyway I haven't really tried tracking down the English dub so I guess its a more to be continued.
i watched the dub first and i found the singer in the english version had more of a clear voice, but the jap seiyus (i believe there were 2 for koyuki) had by far more energy as it was an actual band playing ^_^
Ah I actually watched the sub first, I haven't gotten as far as him singing yet because I haven't found, or to be more accurate, I haven't looked for it yet. Where do you watch it? Plus I dislike Japanese music for the most part and I actually found myself liking majority of the music in Beck.

I can hook you up with the Beck manga if ya want, the Anime only shows a small part of the manga which is unfinished.
nah i probably don't get the full experience of beck without the music ^_^...after all that's what il ike Beck for anyway...their music inspired me to play my guitar again and i'm currently working on 4 pretty good songs ^_^

go to http://www.Guba.com and search for beck:mongolian chop swuad you should get a full subbed list
Assassin of the Black Knights
Naru-chan's hubby50 YEN FEE TO CALL ME PINK
PINOY PRIDE ^_^
I'm in Dispair! (insert random social problem here) has left me in dispair!
Karin Rengu
Absolute Otaku

Post by Karin Rengu »

depends on the series.
like naruto- sub.
FMA- dub
L's Fan Club (Anti-Light)-President
Third in Command of the Black Knights
My Mod App.
Yoruichi Shihouin
Master Otaku
Location: Somewhere between Kisuke Urahara and Jushiro Ukitake. : O

Post by Yoruichi Shihouin »

Karin Rengu wrote:depends on the series.
like naruto- sub.
FMA- dub
Actually, I perferred FMA in its sub form.
Yoruichi Shihouin-The Sexiest Around!

Teens, you think your years are awesome? Just wait until you hit your 20's!

I am so over Japan.
Karin Rengu
Absolute Otaku

Post by Karin Rengu »

I just didn't like Ed's voice in the sub. I know it was played by a girl but it sounded too feminine
My Mod App.
Hayate XVIIIth
Master Otaku

Post by Hayate XVIIIth »

Karin Rengu wrote:I just didn't like Ed's voice in the sub. I know it was played by a girl but it sounded too feminine
I loved Romi's voice as Ed. Indeed it was very feminine, but I think it fit. Ed was this young, and for a bit, preteen that was *cough* going through puberty and such, including the struggles in his family. He was confused and not being brought up the way he wanted, resulting in him not being too sure of anything. Overall, I think Romi's voice was perfect for Ed because she brought out that young teen that was struggling with so much with merely her voice.

In my opinion, anyway. >.>
San Mitsugo Cosplay!
See you at YuleCon 2008 & A-Kon 2009!
~*Bak Chan*~
Karin Rengu
Absolute Otaku

Post by Karin Rengu »

Well, I know a lot of people that liked Edo's voice in the sub. But let me remind you, Ed was 16-17 in the main storyline.
My Mod App.
Hayate XVIIIth
Master Otaku

Post by Hayate XVIIIth »

True. More 15 to early 17, but true. However, he's still a kid on the inside, no matter how much he wants to say he's going to get stronger and restore their bodies; he's still unsure of himself. When you're looking for voices, you don't want to think only about if the person matches what people imagine the voice to be, but you also have to think philosophically, as in, matching the voice to how the character acts to himself and around other people. Especially in Ed's case.

Also, I think an older woman, as far as Japanese standards go, is the only voice that fits Ed. Even a lot of teenage boys in Japan have very deep voices. And I don't know about you, but I cannot see Ed with a low voice, even if he is a guy.

That's why I also loved Vic. He has such a unique and scratchy voice, and he was younger when they started dubbing FMA, giving him the perfect voice for teenage, confused Edward Elric.

IMO, though.
San Mitsugo Cosplay!
~*Bak Chan*~
Karin Rengu
Absolute Otaku

Post by Karin Rengu »

idk, Ed's voice in Japanese didn't fit for me, but I see where you're coming from on it. I really can't see Ed with a deep voice because he's so short. And Vic did a nice job at getting it right where it should be.
My Mod App.
Hayate XVIIIth
Master Otaku

Post by Hayate XVIIIth »

Yeah. I almost feel sorry for Ed o.o No one really takes him seriously~
San Mitsugo Cosplay!
~*Bak Chan*~
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

I've noticed a trend actually the newer the show the worse the dubs are.

If you look back on the older anime that was dubbed, the english voices were actually pretty damn good......I like watching dubs sometimes, it helps me work on my english.

Over all though the original is still the best, but I just thought I'd point out that trend I noticed.
(*Bleach 101 ARMY*) - General 陸軍大将 Rikugun Taishō (****)
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
Gyro Zeppeli
Absolute Otaku

Post by Gyro Zeppeli »

Aoi Sakuraba wrote:I've noticed a trend actually the newer the show the worse the dubs are.
Not necessarily. Nearly all early dubs massively sucked up until FUNimation's DBZ dub (which was still far from perfect, but was actually a vast improvement from Ocean Group and even the original Japanese voices for the series). Yu Yu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop and many dubs around that time were great. Now, after several companies getting major budget cuts, it's largely a mixed bag, ranging from GODLY ones (like Hellsing Ultimate) to god-awful ones (like Code Geass)
If you look back on the older anime that was dubbed, the english voices were actually pretty damn good.
The time is irrelevant (though I have only seen a few dubs that match YYH)
I like watching dubs sometimes, it helps me work on my english.
You no speaky?
Over all though the original is still the best, but I just thought I'd point out that trend I noticed.
That too depends.

While this is generally true, it's not without exceptions. DBZ is a glaring exception of this (most of them sound like their testicles haven't dropped).
In the beginning was the Win, and the Win was with Gai, and the Win was Gai.

Raptor Jesus went extinct for your sins. He is the true messiah
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

I was only pointing out that as each year passes Dubs get worse. (example Naruto, Bleach, Code Geass, Chrono Chusade) I greatly enjoyed the dubs on YuYu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star and S-Cry-Ed. GITS has pretty good dubs too.

I can read and write english very well, but hearing it and speaking it isn't so great. And Yea hearing it on tv shows and movies helps.
(*Bleach 101 ARMY*) - General 陸軍大将 Rikugun Taishō (****)
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
Gyro Zeppeli
Absolute Otaku

Post by Gyro Zeppeli »

Aoi Sakuraba wrote:I was only pointing out that as each year passes Dubs get worse. (example Naruto, Bleach, Code Geass, Chrono Chusade)
Eh, in the Naruto and Bleach dubs the voices aren't what's bad, it's mainly the toning-down of the dialog that makes them hated. Code Geass was horribly miscast: right VAs, wrong characters. Haven't seen Chrono Crusade
I greatly enjoyed the dubs on YuYu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star and S-Cry-Ed. GITS has pretty good dubs too.
Agreed
I can read and write english very well
You do, and that's why I'm surprised
but hearing it and speaking it isn't so great. And Yea hearing it on tv shows and movies helps.
Ah, I see. With foreign languages I can hear and read them okay (I've seen a couple of things in both Spanish and Japanese without subtitles and was able to get the basic gist of what they were saying), but I have a really hard time writing and speaking. I can understand better than I can communicate
In the beginning was the Win, and the Win was with Gai, and the Win was Gai.

Raptor Jesus went extinct for your sins. He is the true messiah
Karin Rengu
Absolute Otaku

Post by Karin Rengu »

I agree with Aoi about the earlier dubs. I like the Bleach dubs, the Naruto could use some work, and the Geass is decent (I can't STAND Lloyd's voice though. I mean, Liam O'Brien is good, but he just wasn't meant for Lloyd...)

And I'm the same way Gyro, I can understand German and Japanese better then I can make sentences and write.
My Mod App.