Oh my goddess: The twilight hour

Discussions about anything anime-related.
amicus
Newbie Otaku

Oh my goddess: The twilight hour

Post by amicus »

Found this, fans of the series (especially Urd it seems) may want to have a look (OMGterran novel)
Name: OMG: The twilight hour
URL: http://omgterran.phm.utoronto.ca/twilight.htm
"To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world."
SASSZAIN

Re: Oh my goddess: The twilight hour

Post by SASSZAIN »

looks interesting
"You dont have to be alive to make yourself relevant.And you dont have to be a good person to be a hero.You just have to know who you are and stay true to that.So Im going to keep fighting for people the only way I ever knew how"-Vriska Serket
strawberry
Baka Otaku

Post by strawberry »

Interesting is not enough to describe the way this looks. It's beyond interesting.
wat am i a strawberry .... wat does it stand for... [censored] dont ask me take a look.....
S-exy, T-hick, R-oleplay, A-ttitude,
W-ild, B-itchy, E-ducated, R-owdy, R-ider,
Y-ep thats me!!!! S-T-R-A-W-B-E-R-R-Y.
recca
Baka Otaku

Post by recca »

Amicus: THANKS! Just spotted the site and I see that the final version of the novel is up.
Downloaded and started reading - definitely [hilight=]cool[/hilight]! 8)
"Quit hugging me you weirdo?!" "Hugging you? I was trying to squeeze you to death!"

"I have not yet begun to fight " "Really? Because now would be a great time to start!"
kobayashi
Baka Otaku

Post by kobayashi »

Thanks I see it, I'll check it out. Could be good.
"If love can kill people, surely hatred can save them." -Noir
"Hate leaves ugly scars, love beautiful ones." -Neurotics handbook
amicus
Newbie Otaku

Post by amicus »

Recca-right back at cha! I see what you mean about the final version being up.
Now I can see what happens in the second half of this story . . . because it keeps
getting better - GO URD! =D>
"To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world."
recca
Baka Otaku

Post by recca »

Finished the book – time to post. Definitely a fav. The kind of story you always hope you'll find but so rarely do, taking you deep inside the OMG universe. Reading this reminded me of all the things I loved about the original. Urd's pain, joy and terror at trying to hang on to what's important amid a battle for power between the heavenly and demonic realms is gripping. Normally I'm satisfied if a book has two or three really great scenes, but there must be at least ten in this crazy thing! (think about it [NO SPOILER] Belldandy in chains, Urd on the horse, xxxx when she lowered her hood among the ruins, Urd race to reach her lover in the waters, Keiichi and Belldandy as they discuss death, love, and when they looked across the courtyard for what may be the last time . . . are some of the things I loved about this book, to say nothing of the "big events" which can't be discussed (Mara and Troubadour’s scenes were hilarious though). ). The book does leave me with one question: Several threads felt as though they were part of some larger whole. I can only hope that is right - Recca :love:
"Quit hugging me you weirdo?!" "Hugging you? I was trying to squeeze you to death!"

"I have not yet begun to fight " "Really? Because now would be a great time to start!"
amicus
Newbie Otaku

Post by amicus »

OK, I’m caught up now. Here is my post (I like posting here a lot more, not sure why):

[Hild from her throne]: “Careful, it seems you need a lesson in etiquette my dear . . .”
[Urd turning on her surrounding demons]: “Believe me I am utterly through being careful . . .”

For me that sum's up much of the book's sentiment which is why I like it. I won't dissect any of the evil fun but it's fair to say that everyone in this OMG tale is sort of a BADASS (even if the characters themselves don't realize it). Yeah, Urd, Takumi, Belldandy, Banpei, Lind - all badasses - even Keiichi and Skuld when you get right down to it. Though the story takes things to new heights it gets there by staying pretty true to the form and feel of the original series (though there were several places where I though it might not, which makes for a good deal of the fun). The plot's solid and well-paced (faster in the second half compared to the first) and those attracted to the romance and action aspects of the series won’t be disappointed. Though it probably reflects a writer's admiration for the Fujishima’s original work, I thought several aspects of the story were jibs at common OMG criticisms (i.e. kindergarten romance, things don't happen, etc.). Like the series it’s drawn from there are definitely parts of this book which will make you laugh (the scenes with Peorth and Troubadour still makes me laugh) and cry (you are forewarned) in equal measure. Overall a very worthwhile read. 8)
kobayashi
Baka Otaku

Post by kobayashi »

Really original and interesting Fanfic. Though both teen and old readers will probably enjoy it, the “allusive” aspect of the story will no doubt mean more to those old enough to fully understand their context (Urd's "fall through the heavens" come to mind). I agree with much of what’s written here, but for me the two scenes that really made the book were when Urd is journeys from and ultimately to "the place which she avidly avoids" (arguably to separate and re-join her heart). The issues dealt with in the story are fairly universal and you don’t have to be a god or demon to appreciate them - acceptance versus alienation, duty to others verses oneself, family, what love makes us do. The action is good though it’s careful never to overwhelm the story, which manages to retain much of the quirkiness and humor of the original manga. A great read!

To those above, yeah I will try to post to fanfiction.net, but it seems like kine of a pain and not nearly as nice as this place. Latter.
"If love can kill people, surely hatred can save them." -Noir
"Hate leaves ugly scars, love beautiful ones." -Neurotics handbook
recca
Baka Otaku

Post by recca »

I'm thinking about some of those "allusive" aspects right now . . .

keiichiT
Baka Otaku

Post by keiichiT »

Behind the pack, but now I’m caught up. The OMGterran website pointed me to this thread for review so here’s my post. The book is DEFINITELY a killer OMG story, the best I’ve EVER seen! Mixes action, romance, and love in a way that reminds you of what it’s like to really put yourself out there. Initially I was thrown by the first few chapters which didn’t seem very OMG-like. But now after reading the whole thing I can see how perfectly set up it is to suck you in (the oldest trick in anime … start off with some seemingly incidental stuff and dive in for the kill). A perfect book to read when you think there's no hope left in the world. If another Oh My Goddess movie is ever made - I hope I just read it!
"I don't know what the hell we just ate, but it certainly wasn't chicken."
Kibano
Baka Otaku

Post by Kibano »

How did I miss this?
This book is GREAT! I love OMG.
Thanks. :roll:
So what, we're controlled by the hand of god?
-Well at the very least he's fiddling iwth the joystick...
amicus
Newbie Otaku

Post by amicus »

FYI - I see an updated version was posted (said to be sp. and grammatical tweaks). Also I heard through the grapevine the second book is in the works. 8)
recca
Baka Otaku

Post by recca »

Thanks, Amicus! -and about the book. :wink:

Kibano
Baka Otaku

Post by Kibano »

I see what you mean Amicus. Picked up revised/updated version on the OMGTerran website.
Good ending to a great story... now I just hope there's another one!
So what, we're controlled by the hand of god?
-Well at the very least he's fiddling iwth the joystick...
keiichiT
Baka Otaku

Post by keiichiT »

Got it thanks. Looks from the OMGterran website that the full revision will be done this week!
"I don't know what the hell we just ate, but it certainly wasn't chicken."