My Hero Academia

Discussions about anything anime-related.
Tyche
Absolute Otaku

My Hero Academia

Post by Tyche »

You might be thinking "ah ha! Tyche's 5th favorite anime! \:D/ " but WRONG! That said I do think this was the most iconic anime of the past decade. I'm willing to debate that if anyone thinks otherwise!

Pretty much just green Naruto how could this anime be anything less? If you like action/shoenen and underdog stories this anime is for you.

I like that this anime doesn't fall into the "same face" trap a lot of anime have (you'll see what I mean if you look up the characters) but it's definitely not unique enough to be a favorite of mine.

Denki Kanimari is my favorite for his resemblance to Tweek from South Park. :)
"Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

"If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. You want to change the world? There's nothing to it."
Tucker
Newbie Otaku

Re: My Hero Academia

Post by Tucker »

I find it to be refreshingly simple. Its the anti-naruto. Bakugo didnt turn heel, and Deku isnt stupid in school, but a genius in a fight. A lot of the cast could use more character devolpment, but when they get it, much like Red Riot did, it shows.

I can just turn off my brain and veg to this. Its glorious.
And I do think its unique. It an Eastern take on Western superheros, with their culture mixed in. Its got a nice charm to it.

and at least its not black clover..i had such hopes for that one way before it was an anime
Last edited by Tucker on Nov 21, 2020 3:07am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyche
Absolute Otaku

Post by Tyche »

Fair point about how it's somewhat unique in that it spins western type super heroes. I guess I'm just a little tired of the teen/school superhero genre.

"If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. You want to change the world? There's nothing to it."
Tucker
Newbie Otaku

Post by Tucker »

I get that. Between marvel over saturating the superhero and a lot of anime featuring mostly teenage protagonists with various powers as well its everywhere. I find it harder to relate to the teenaged protagonists personally. I mean sure 12-14 years ago when I was in high school it wasnt a problem.

But I think that is part of the reason I'm enjoying Digimon 2020 so much...and as for fruits basket..I've been waiting forever for that to finally get a second season. Kakushigoto is actually something I picked up recently. The description says its about a little girl trying to figure out what her dad does for a living and he has fun just playing games with her by not telling her...

I got off topic there for a moment lol.

Superpowered teens is too overplayed that its exciting to get something different
Yo everyone! It's The Brown-Eyes Boy here!
Tyche
Absolute Otaku

Post by Tyche »

I didn't know there was new Digimon! I suppose I could look it up but that defeats the purpose of a forum. Mind making a thread about it? Like, I want to know if it is a remake of the original or if not what it's kinda like.

As four MHA, ya know I didn't even think of how Marvel movies affects my appreciation of this show but it's really true. Not only that but how many anime are teens with powers the market is just a little over saturated at this point IMO... (says the chick who 2/5 favorite anime of the decade are issekai kekw)

Tucker
Newbie Otaku

Post by Tucker »

I can understand why people arent into MHA. It just happens to be a combination of what literally is the most popular. It's easy to hate if you're over any one of those things it happens to be made of. What really drew menin was the abilities of the rest of the class. Deku has what I like to call the Superman. Its burning but the history behind the power is interesting. But then we have mineta and his balls. I dislike mineta but I like his power. And then I got drawn into the story
Tyche
Absolute Otaku

Post by Tyche »

I do admit, the show is interesting for the side characters since there's so many different powers. I do like that part of it. And I do like that they get screen time and that the adults are relevant so that's kinda nice too.

Tucker
Newbie Otaku

Post by Tucker »

It's quite nice to see the side characters get their own arcs AND stay just as relevant as the main character.

I mean let's be honest, naruto is a literal god by the end of his series and I cant buy that they killed him in boruto. It's so stupid I cant watch boruto. And the only side characters to actually be able to keep up would be Rock Lee and Might Guy after releasing all 8 gates.

Same for bleach. Ichigo is too powerful and literally no one can keep up with him so it literally becomes if the MC cant win, then it's over since no one else comes close to his power

And that is a trope I strongly dislike in all anime. The side characters are working just as hard if not harder and are no where near as strong as the MC and dont really stand a chance to do anything meaningful. Side characters hold off side villains when the MC could legit blow through them all in a single move and save us from all the drama.

Here in MHA, everyone is on a similar playing field. Sure todoroki and bakugo could beat most people in a fight, but in their world, fighting isnt the only important thing to do, so the other characters are stronger in other areas where todoroki and bakugo cant do anything really. It's a good blanace.

And these are just some of the reasons it appeals to me so much.