Another 80s anime series - help!

Get answers to all your specific anime questions.
LogicApe
Visitor

Post by LogicApe »

Hoping someone can remember another 80s series that has left my memory. Along with Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand Years (that I watched every morning before school in the mid-80s), there was another series that aired around the same time or possibly a bit after.

There were two teams of people in two separate places. Each team had five (I think) members. I don't remember what they did or if they communicated - it seems they were in some parallel but I can't remember the plot. I seem to remember some episodes focusing on one team almost entirely sometimes.

I looked at the series listed on this site (great site BTW) but can't find a match. Does this ring a bell to anyone? Thanks in advance.

WhoWantsToKnow
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by WhoWantsToKnow »

Look up Voltron.
See if that rings a bell.

LogicApe
Visitor

Post by LogicApe »

Thanks for the feedback. Voltron was one of my favorites - I used to wake up early to catch the 'car' Voltron and then race home from school for the 'lion' Voltron. I personally liked the cars better but I couldn't convince my friends who I personally think just didn't want to wake up early.

The one I can't remember was different - I may have to go to one of those places... with all the books... and you can find information... what are those places called? Starts with an L... I think... oh yeah - Book Store! :wink:

bpholiday
Visitor

Samurai Warriors

Post by bpholiday »

I think the series was called Samurai Warriors. I'm not sure of the beginning, but they were given special armour, and they did have to fight an evil force in another dimention. Voltron was something different.

WhoWantsToKnow
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by WhoWantsToKnow »

I know it's not Ronin Warriors. That dates to the early 90's.

Since I was just a kid when 80's anime was about, my memory's a bit sketchy.

Hmm...how about Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand Years? Did any of the characters happen to have a black uniform and an eyepatch?

LogicApe
Visitor

Post by LogicApe »

Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand Years (or as my friend would say, '...and the thousand-year-old witch-lady') was one of my favorites - I'd know for sure if it was that one. Now that I'm an adult with a job and disposable income, I'd certainly part with some of it to be able to get a video, dvd, vcd, etc of these old episodes.

I think the show I'm trying to remember came on after Harlock in the morning. Maybe it wasn't anime... but it seems like I remember it as such.

Another memory washed up the other day - maybe not too helpful as it's a pseudo-cliche to many of these series: I remember on of the gals on one of the teams was... shall we say well-endowed. I remember as a kid being mad that they would always have too many episodes focused on the 'team' that didn't include her. Ah... to be 13-years-old again...

WhoWantsToKnow
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by WhoWantsToKnow »

Hmm...you've briefly lost me here. I haven't seen that much anime beyond that with the exception of Tranzor Z, which I doubt is what you're looking for.

Try looking up Force Five, though. It's actually an amalgamation of several series, and at least one of them comes from the infamous Go Nagai. If anyone would be reputed for suggestive elements, it's him.

Kirazu
Visitor

Post by Kirazu »

I dont get it, what is this board all about anyways?

LogicApe
Visitor

Subject: Another 80s anime series - help!

Post by LogicApe »

Many thanks for the great feedback WhoWantsToKnow! I read about Force Five and though it sounds cool, this was a single series if I remember correctly.

Kirazu - strange question for someone who racked up 60+ posts in 3 days.

I will keep looking! :wink:

Sakura Saku
Visitor

Re: Subject: Another 80s anime series - help!

Post by Sakura Saku »

LogicApe wrote:Many thanks for the great feedback WhoWantsToKnow! I read about Force Five and though it sounds cool, this was a single series if I remember correctly.

Kirazu - strange question for someone who racked up 60+ posts in 3 days.

I will keep looking! :wink:

haha i knoe how did you reach up 60+ posts in 3 days? you must like to socialize alot but anyways ive read acouple of force five

BigKwell
Inactive
Inactive

Re: Another 80s anime series - help!

Post by BigKwell »

LogicApe wrote:Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand Years (or as my friend would say, '...and the thousand-year-old witch-lady') was one of my favorites - I'd know for sure if it was that one. Now that I'm an adult with a job and disposable income, I'd certainly part with some of it to be able to get a video, dvd, vcd, etc of these old episodes.

I think the show I'm trying to remember came on after Harlock in the morning. Maybe it wasn't anime... but it seems like I remember it as such.

Another memory washed up the other day - maybe not too helpful as it's a pseudo-cliche to many of these series: I remember on of the gals on one of the teams was... shall we say well-endowed. I remember as a kid being mad that they would always have too many episodes focused on the 'team' that didn't include her. Ah... to be 13-years-old again...

From what I've read, that series later became the basis for "Galaxy Express 999."
"When I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my pistol."

Stephen W. Hawking

WhoWantsToKnow
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by WhoWantsToKnow »

First it was Captain Harlock, then Galaxy Express 999, and after that Queen Millennia, all set in the same universe. 999 never saw American TV, but in typical 80's fashion Harlock and Millennia got squashed together.

BigKwell
Inactive
Inactive

Post by BigKwell »

WhoWantsToKnow wrote:First it was Captain Harlock, then Galaxy Express 999, and after that Queen Millennia, all set in the same universe. 999 never saw American TV, but in typical 80's fashion Harlock and Millennia got squashed together.

"Galaxy Express 999" was actually a motion picture that did show on American theater screens around 1980.

Stephen W. Hawking

WhoWantsToKnow
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by WhoWantsToKnow »

"Galaxy Express 999" was actually a motion picture that did show on American theater screens around 1980.

It was a 112-episode TV series first. Then came the two movies. You're sure the first movie came to the USA? :?:

I thought it didn't hit the US until around 95 through Viz (Adieu, the second movie, followed about 2 years later).

BigKwell
Inactive
Inactive

Post by BigKwell »

WhoWantsToKnow wrote:

It was a 112-episode TV series first. Then came the two movies. You're sure the first movie came to the USA? :?:

I thought it didn't hit the US until around 95 through Viz (Adieu, the second movie, followed about 2 years later).

I indeed DID see the first movie in a American theater in 1980. It was licensed by Orion Pictures.

It was years later when I rented the movie on VHS. I was surprised that they added more footage... and pleased.

Stephen W. Hawking