Moar Robots Plz

Get answers to all your specific anime questions.
Dreams

Moar Robots Plz

Post by Dreams »

Okay. I'm going to sound crazy, but bear with me.

I'm looking for more robot anime (or even cartoons, movies, etc... that's fine), but with very specific "robots" in mind. You know how Megaman and Optimus Prime are fully robot (you can obviously see they're metal and so on), but have human-like thoughts, emotions, motives, etc? I adore them. That's what I'm looking for.

Not looking for androids like Kikaider or 17 & 18 from DBZ.
Not looking for cyborgs like Casshan.
Not looking for robotic suits, like the millions of examples I could spout off (Gundam, Eva, etc).

So... anything else out there like that?
Пуля в сердце, мозг на дверцу...
"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." ~Romans 6:23

Duuz
Uber Otaku

Re: Moar Robots Plz

Post by Duuz »

You mean like Astroboy? Or the movie Robot Carnival?
And don't call Astroboy an android, not when you can see him shoot a laser out of his finger or the rapid fire guns from his back side.

There's also Kurogane Communications, a group of robots care for a girl that they think is the last human on Earth after a war kills billions.

But I think robots that are clearly robots acting like humans are a more rare thing in anime. Especially when the Japanese tend to blur the line of what is a robot, an android and cyborg a lot.

The boomers in Bubblegum Crisis are a case in point, sometimes they speak of the pleasure models of boomers as a sex android. And combat boomers as a robot or cyborg, which some boomers are. After Mason is killed he comes back in a new high tech boomer's body, which he's killed again but comes back even more machine than before.

In Gall Force one of the crew, and she is a repeating character through out the series is an android, and androids are just robots with human features although at some point her android status is revealed many times. Then there's the alien Paranoids which are some kind of bio-mechanical thing, they're really hard to explain. All a Paranoid is, is some kind of gel form that inhabits a clearly mechanical body. Only the Paranoid and later the MME and Gorn are the darker side of human motivations.

The All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku is something of an oddity. She's called a combat android and looks human except for when her antenna pop out of her head, but she has a cat's brain inside her. So she act like both a human and a cat at times.

But Kurogane Communications is what you want to see.
"Charge! The Goddess of Victory is flashing her panties at us!" -Bittenfeld / Legend of Galactic Heroes

Dreams

Post by Dreams »

Yeah, this seemed like a tough thing to ask for, but I appreciate the response. ^^

Yeah, by definition, an android is a robot built to look fully human (or quite close), whilst a cyborg is a human who has to rely on robotic parts. However frequently the definitions might be blurred in animation, I continue to separate them into these catagories. Astro Boy is definitely a robot. XD I don't know that anyone could assimilate flawlessly into the human race with shiny metal hair & underwear.

Kurogane Communication DOES look good - it's a name I've heard, but never knew anything about. And it's funny you brought up Cat Girl Nuku Nuku... I've wanted to watch the original OVAs ever since I learned about it 1996. I have no excuse for still not having seen it, other than that I have a long list of retro anime I'm still working on getting.
Пуля в сердце, мозг на дверцу...
"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." ~Romans 6:23

Lestat69_99
Absolute Otaku

Post by Lestat69_99 »

One of the few I remember would be the Mighty Orbots

Yes, they might combine to form a giant mecha, but each of them had very seperate personalities. *sigh* I so wish it could come out on dvd....
"Well, look who's back...Show him why we call it "SPLATTERHOUSE'."
Terror Mask