Subbed or Dubbed?

Get answers to all your specific anime questions.

Dubbed Or Subbed?

Poll ended at Dec 02, 2004 8:07pm

Dubbed ( voices in English)
86%
Subbed ( reading the screen, voices in Japanese)
14%

Total votes: 7

*~Hakkai~*
Visitor

Subbed or Dubbed?

Post by *~Hakkai~* »

I know some fans that refuse to watch any anime that is dubbed. I know that years back, the dubbs were awful. I believe they have greatly improved and would prefer Dubbed. I do watch them both ways... just to be sure about content sometimes. So, do you have a preference? I have favorite voice actors now that I watch for with new releases. Greg Ayers, Crispin Freeman, and Jason Douglas are some highly talented people, to mention a few.

WhoWantsToKnow
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by WhoWantsToKnow »

Don't forget the ladies, such as Wendee Lee, Michelle Ruff, and Mona Marshall, to name a few.

There are a number of what I call "camps": general regions where talent gravitate. The top talent tends to come from California, and most all the names we mentioned come from there as well as the likes of Steven Jay Blum, Joshua Seth, and so on. Geneon and Bandai tend to rely on California studios.

There's also Vancouver, home to the Ocean Group. They've been in the business for a relatively long time and are full of highly experienced talent such as Kelly Sheridan, Kirby Morror, and Richard Ian Cox (to name a few). Generally, if it's from Viz or ShoPro, the talent will come from here. Some Bandai titles also call on Ocean (notably most of the Gundam titles).

Rising quickly in talent and professionalism is the talent in Texas, home to AD Vision as well as FUNimation. Talent that got their start working for ADV at such firms as Industrial Smoke and Mirrors (such as Monica Rial) are joining up with the talent FUNimation is locating and building pretty quickly (such as Colleen Clinkenbeard).

Lately, the quality of talent coming from the East Coast (such as New York) has been taking a slide, mostly because the other studios have improved to dramatically. 4Kids, based in New York, calls on this talent pool, as does Central Park Media. Although not the best of the lot anymore, there are several notable voices you can hear very often, such as Lisa Ortiz, Ted Lewis, Veronica Taylor, and Eric Stuart. The quality of their voices have been hampered these days by 4Kids' necessity to keep things clean, whereas at CPM they had better opportunities to show their stuff.

I'll mention one other place simply because it's used a lot: Toronto. Nelvana draws on the talent pool there, and Optimum Productions (who did the dubbing for <i>Sailor Moon</i>) was also there. Again, since all the animes there are being geared to kids, quality has not really been the top priority there.

Bun_ny
Visitor

Post by Bun_ny »

It all depends on what anime your watching. Like...Blue Seed has good voice overs, but the subbed version is way better. Don't ask me why it just is. You might like it after watching a couple in subs.

Ender
Uber Otaku

Post by Ender »

I hate dubbed.
Happy holidays

Grave
Visitor

Post by Grave »

it depends i never seen a subbed anime and if it's a good anime i'd want both :mrgreen:
but a show like dragon ball gt i want dubbed because it's a good show but i want to read it and i don't like it that much
Last edited by Grave on Nov 23, 2004 3:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bun_ny
Visitor

Post by Bun_ny »

Like I said, it all depends on which anime your watching. ^_^

Symos
Absolute Otaku

Post by Symos »

I'd prefer a good dub if available. None is available or if it's too terible. (Like Transformers Headmasters to Victory.) I have subbed.
In an uncaring universe it is up to us to determine our own destinies.

Bun_ny
Visitor

Post by Bun_ny »

A really good subbed anime is 'Tokyo God Fathers'...Actually, I don't think there is a dubbed version. Still, its a really great movie. Never seen a subbed title before? Go get 'Tokyo God Fathers' You'll love it.

sano_suka
Visitor

Post by sano_suka »

dubbed's the best no reading invold

WhoWantsToKnow
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by WhoWantsToKnow »

Bun_ny wrote:A really good subbed anime is 'Tokyo God Fathers'...Actually, I don't think there is a dubbed version. Still, its a really great movie. Never seen a subbed title before? Go get 'Tokyo God Fathers' You'll love it.
There is no dub for <i>Tokyo Godfathers</i>. Anime held by Dreamworks (including this and <i>Millennium Actress</i>) are sub-only, as are some of the oldest stuff out of AnimEigo like the <i>Urusei Yatsura</i> TV series.

WhoWantsToKnow
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by WhoWantsToKnow »

Bun_ny wrote:Like I said, it all depends on which anime your watching. ^_^

Right. I prefer dubs, but I expect quality out of them.

Take <i>Trigun</i>, which is an excellent dub, IMO. Not only are the translations pretty much straight, but it gets the feel just right, to the point that you can feel for characters. Dorothy Melendrez does such a job that you can really feel sorry for poor Meryl when she goes into one of her speeches of frustration (like in episode 5). Or in episode 9, when Wolfwood swears because he realizes he's unarmed, hearing Jeff Nimoy do it makes me laugh out loud almost every time. The way he says it accentuates the humor of the scene.

Shuu-sama
Visitor

Post by Shuu-sama »

Subs are better in my opinion.

Most dubs suck, but some are good. Trigun was excellent. Initial D is terrible. I prefer initial d in jap by far. Im staying away from the english version.

josh
Absolute Otaku

Post by josh »

subed is usually better.....

depends on the anime tho!!!!!
umm.....there are some really good dubed voice actors out there.....give them some credit
great friends: Jesus Christ. Dragon X. Locke. Ender. Bambi. Russel.

J.Kudo
Visitor

re: Subbed or Dubbed?

Post by J.Kudo »

some I like much more subbed, however others, such as trigun, are pretty much the same either way, so I prefer the dubbed, as I can pay more attention to the emotions in the voice, then there are those like Hellsing, which is far more authentic dubbed, however some of the subbed version is better...

Blue-eyed Valon 2485
Visitor

Post by Blue-eyed Valon 2485 »

Neji wrote:I hate dubbed.

Who wouldn't