Happy ending?

bword
Visitor

Happy ending?

Post by bword »

I keep reading reviews and such aboud EoE, some saying that it's depressing, others saying it's profound. Am I the only one who thinks that it's actually a happy ending, for the most part?
Mistress of Yaoi
Uber Otaku

re: Happy ending?

Post by Mistress of Yaoi »

i guess you could call it happy but i would not call it an ending
hey AA guess who's back from the grave out of boredom, lets be friends k?
Deacon
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by Deacon »

Well, though that all the human kind dies...I think it'll be happy just for Shinji! :roll:
La vita fugge et non s'arresta un'ora [...]
bword
Visitor

Post by bword »

I don't think they die. I've heard people talking about how they die, but I don't get where you take that from. It seems pretty clear to me that the message is that they didn't die, but rather all became one. It's a fundamentally different form of existence, but one nonetheless.

(Well, I think Gendo dies, but eh.)
Cold Revolver
Absolute Otaku

Re: re: Happy ending?

Post by Cold Revolver »

bword wrote:I don't think they die. I've heard people talking about how they die, but I don't get where you take that from. It seems pretty clear to me that the message is that they didn't die, but rather all became one. It's a fundamentally different form of existence, but one nonetheless.

(Well, I think Gendo dies, but eh.)
Ok this is getting out of hand already, You all should try watching the entire series as in a whole. The third impact happened for a reason, A new way of life a new Beginning. Shinji and Asuka are the only ones that made
it out alive. SHINJI AND ASUKA are still alive! Understand? LMAO. :roll: Also try watching the movies a few dozen times... it does help! If that does not help find some info on the subject of the end of Evangelion.

Its not that hard in all reality, That green goo at the end of the movie is actualy human kind trying to shape them selves into human form and evolving...

One more thing before I leave, Dont just watch the series Once..... Watch again.
Can you find your name?
Amigos list: NickMistaColaJohnAmrayYMBedeMikeTycheAthosCloudTrishMatLust<33GioSerasErikBiki
KarinDretJessKoyue

I am not gay, I'm just colorful Betch! =-]
bword
Visitor

Post by bword »

I did watch it as a whole. In fact, I watched it as a whole a few years ago, and then again just a few days ago. And frankly, I don't see how you're getting what you're getting.

When Shinji asks Rei if he's dead, she specifically tells him that no, everything is one. Not "no, everyone else is dead, but you and Asuka made it out alive," but no, everything is one. There seems to be the caveat, because of Shinji's decision, that people can re-separate if they chose to and have the strength to, but that caveat doesn't render them dead otherwise. You yourself even recognize that humankind is trying to shape themselves -- doesn't that imply they're still alive, even if it's in a different form?

The angels and third impact are all predicted by SEELE, and that same group seems to think that third impact doesn't mean everyone's dead, but everyone's changed. If the members of SEELE had simply wanted to kill themselves, a revolver would have done the trick; and if they'd wanted to take everyone out with them, surely the world has enough nukes and N2s to do that. Given that SEELE's past record (predicting the angels, third impact, founding the organization that created the Evas, finding all the pilots, figuring out how to make the "mass-produced" Evas) has shown they know what they're talking about, isn't it reasonable to assume that their notion, that third impact is something other than death, is also correct?

Let me turn it around... I've stated my case with several specifics as to why I believe third impact represents a change in humans rather than their death. Can you cite specifics as to why you believe everyone (except Sinji and Asuka) dies? I'm interested, because as I said, having read many analyses of the series, I've found general statements that everyone is dead, but no specifics, and that premise seems to me to be contrary to the series I saw. If you think this is getting out of hand, then please, show me exactly where I've stepped off the path.
Cold Revolver
Absolute Otaku

Post by Cold Revolver »

In all reality once again Asuka's Life at the end of the movie is for you to understand, In her Eva she got hurt, her eva's arm was ripped off and stabbed in the eye, when they were seen on the beach she had bandage on her eye and arm I believe... (been a while)it could have been shinji's perception that she was there with him either or imagination. But the fact still remains that she was there in some form or another.

I never said That green goo was dead its just the beggining of Life, I had to look this stuff up myself and I came to conlusion that the director was Messing with our heads and I myself Agreed that Asuka is alive and well with shinji in his mind or in real form. It is up to you what to believe. Nothing has been explained by the directors of the film or the series as in cover Hideaki Anno and Kazuya Tsurumaki
Being as is watch it again with an open mind and think hard! It can end for you ina number of ways............

I did a paper for class once and I did a heap
of research and aced it, some of my peers also watched the movie along with the seris and the agreed. All I can say is this, It's like akira complex and deep the end of such a series leave only your thought to reach your own conclusion.

I was mad because eveyrone make's it out to be soo hard and its realy not if you know what your talking about and actualy do some work on finding it out for your self!
Can you find your name?
Amigos list: NickMistaColaJohnAmrayYMBedeMikeTycheAthosCloudTrishMatLust<33GioSerasErikBiki
KarinDretJessKoyue

Cold Revolver
Absolute Otaku

Re: re: Happy ending?

Post by Cold Revolver »

ÇoÏder~ËÎèmèÑt.. wrote:In all reality once again Asuka's Life at the end of the movie is for you to understand, In her Eva she got hurt, her eva's arm was ripped off and stabbed in the eye, when they were seen on the beach she had bandage on her eye and arm I believe... (been a while)it could have been shinji's perception that she was there with him either or imagination. But the fact still remains that she was there in some form or another.

I never said That green goo was dead its just the beggining of Life, I had to look this stuff up myself and I came to conlusion that the director was Messing with our heads and I myself Agreed that Asuka is alive and well with shinji in his mind or in real form. It is up to you what to believe. Nothing has been explained by the directors of the film or the series as in cover Hideaki Anno and Kazuya Tsurumaki
Being as is watch it again with an open mind and think hard! It can end for you ina number of ways............

I did a paper for class once and I did a heap
of research and aced it, some of my peers also watched the movie along with the seris and the agreed. All I can say is this, It's like akira complex and deep the end of such a series leave only your thought to reach your own conclusion.

I was mad because eveyrone make's it out to be soo hard and its realy not if you know what your talking about and actualy do some work on finding it out for your self!
Oh and one more thing before I leave you with your heavy thought's :). There were never any specifics, you will never find any in this world or the next, the ending of Eva was something as a thinking conclusion and its up to you to find the answers, ask anyone they will tell you the same, its a crazy absolute ending with no real truth in it, the real ending is the ending of the series where shinji trys to find himself... Very Complex. Anyways good luck finding your own truth. I found mine.
Can you find your name?
KarinDretJessKoyue

bword
Visitor

Post by bword »

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then :) I agree that it's pretty open-ended, and not inherently difficult to find one's own version of the answer. In my view, third impact didn't kill everyone, it just smushed their souls together. I also think that the last scene is only Shinji's reality, not the absolute reality (which I think split off to individual realities as part of third impact). So the Asuka we see at the end is just Shinji's Asuka. That's why she starts off in the same place as where he last left her, coming out of a comatose state and disgusted that he's just masturbated to her.

Anyway, the reason I think it's happy is that everyone who's not so screwed up as to reject it (e.g. Shinji) gets a chance to finally exist without loneliness or fear from others.
thirdimpact6633
Mobile Suit Otaku

Re: Happy ending?

Post by thirdimpact6633 »

The End of Evangelion can be either taken in an optomistic way, or an pesimistic way. It really depends on how you handle the Apocolypes. I am an optomist, and i feel that in the end, the world was clensed, and purged of sin. The world had a chance to fix it's greedy mistakes and make a new beginning for itself (hence the name, Neon GENISIS Evangelion).
Cold Revolver
Absolute Otaku

Post by Cold Revolver »

thirdimpact6633 wrote:The End of Evangelion can be either taken in an optomistic way, or an pesimistic way. It really depends on how you handle the Apocolypes. I am an optomist, and i feel that in the end, the world was clensed, and purged of sin. The world had a chance to fix it's greedy mistakes and make a new beginning for itself (hence the name, Neon GENISIS Evangelion).
Finnaly someone who gets it. :D
Can you find your name?
KarinDretJessKoyue

SolidSnake526
Ramen Slurping Otaku

Post by SolidSnake526 »

You know, I could swear that the Sea of LCL is almost like an option...

People were allowed to return to their past form if they chose to. It just appeared that nobody chose to. Why they didn't is beyond me, but they didn't. If Shinji hadn't rejected Instrumentality, I don't know what would've happened, but he did, and this is what I know.
I'd put the entire Word file I have of "Rei's poem," but I think it's too long... :P
thirdimpact6633
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by thirdimpact6633 »

People didn't have a choice in instrumentality, it was Shinji's call. If he had accepted instrumentality, all of mankind would have merged together into the egg of Lillith, into one single being. This was considered to be the next stage of evolution for mankind from Gendo's point of view. Shinji rejected this mostly because he didn't want to be left alone (and for many other psychological reasons that I can't explain without a Ph. D. in psychotherapy). Many things in the series and movie contributed to his decision, including Asuka's personality, Shinji's father, and his relationships with the people around him.

I think that's about it
SolidSnake526
Ramen Slurping Otaku

Post by SolidSnake526 »

thirdimpact6633 wrote:People didn't have a choice in instrumentality, it was Shinji's call. If he had accepted instrumentality, all of mankind would have merged together into the egg of Lillith, into one single being. This was considered to be the next stage of evolution for mankind from Gendo's point of view. Shinji rejected this mostly because he didn't want to be left alone (and for many other psychological reasons that I can't explain without a Ph. D. in psychotherapy). Many things in the series and movie contributed to his decision, including Asuka's personality, Shinji's father, and his relationships with the people around him.

I think that's about it
Oh I know. But they can choose whether or not to return to the world.
Except Instrumentality wasn't "the next step," it was more like "superevolution" - the final leap in evolution, skipping over innumerable steps that should have preceded it.
I'd put the entire Word file I have of "Rei's poem," but I think it's too long... :P