Haku was a GIRL, not a boy!

What do you think Haku's true gender is having read the first post?

Female
26%
Male
74%

Total votes: 133

Hardcore
Absolute Otaku

Re: Haku was a GIRL, not a boy!

Post by Hardcore »

SASSZAIN wrote:
Cookie wrote:You're a bit too passionate about Naruto, buddy. :twitch:
^this
^that
Decisions to decisions are made and not bought, but I thought this wouldn't hurt a lot. I guess not.
Hardcore
Absolute Otaku

Post by Hardcore »

Decisions to decisions are made and not bought, but I thought this wouldn't hurt a lot. I guess not.
SASSZAIN

Post by SASSZAIN »

lol yeah, Haku was not only TOLD to us to be a boy, but, well.. Is a boy :/ Definitely not the first, nor the last male anime character to look like a girl, but to be a boy.
"You dont have to be alive to make yourself relevant.And you dont have to be a good person to be a hero.You just have to know who you are and stay true to that.So Im going to keep fighting for people the only way I ever knew how"-Vriska Serket
Hardcore
Absolute Otaku

Post by Hardcore »

I read some earlier pages, and heard that the creator of Naruto announced Haku to be male.
I also never saw Mr. Believe it! rebut this argument.
Believe it!
Master Otaku

Post by Believe it! »

SASSZAIN wrote:lol yeah, Haku was not only TOLD to us to be a boy, but, well.. Is a boy :/
Actually, no she didn't. In the original Japanese version, the official version diect from Kishimoto, she told Naruto that she was an "otoko", which means "man" in English.

This blunt and direct statement of Haku's was presented as a very obvious and blatent lie. The joke was two fold. First, that Naruto was gullible enough to actually believe that Haku was a man, and second that he was freaked that a "man" could be as pretty as Haku was.

So it is a matter of FACT that Haku lied to Naruto when she told him that she was a man, because even if she had been a male, she wasn't old enough to be considered a man. Additionally, she did not see herself as an adult. She told Zabuza that she was still just a child. Since she was honest with Zabuza and dishonest with her enemies, it's logical to conclude that she truely thought of herself as a child and only told Naruto that she was a man because she wanted to deceive him.
SASSZAIN wrote:Definitely not the first, nor the last male anime character to look like a girl, but to be a boy.
I can understand that you've seen other animes with such characters, but unless you can prove that Haku was that type of chracter then you have nothing to base your opinion on.
Cookie wrote:I read some earlier pages, and heard that the creator of Naruto announced Haku to be male.
I also never saw Mr. Believe it! rebut this argument.
Then you didn't read the first post, nor did you read my last reply. Kishimoto did not announce Haku to be male. In all interviews with Kishimoto where he has mentioned Haku, he neither refers to her as a male or a female. This suggests that he wants her gender to be a topic of discussion among fans.

What others are referring to when they say Kishimoto confirmed that Haku was a boy, they are talking about a Shounen Jump fan mail publication. In that case it was a Shounen Jump staff member answering the fan questions, not Kishimoto.

Go here to read about that:

http://www.absoluteanime.com/naruto/haku.htm
Hardcore
Absolute Otaku

Post by Hardcore »

I smiled when I saw that you had replied.
www.absoluteanime.com/naruto/haku.htm wrote:I believe, however, that this is the Shonen Jump staff answering, and not Masashi Kishimoto, the creator of Naruto.
I tend to believe the staff.
Believe it!
Master Otaku

Post by Believe it! »

Why? The staff of some magazine is not credible or knowledgeable regarding the specifics of an anime series.

Besides that, didn't you find anything in the article to be convincing evidence that Haku was a girl? Those facts were taken right from the series. So shouldn't that influence your opinion more than what some paper pusher thinks?
Hardcore
Absolute Otaku

Post by Hardcore »

And you are credible? :o
You're a bit too obstinate about your opinion on something so small. You said yourself the author intended it to be ambiguous, so there's no point proving whether or not Haku is male or female. >_>

That is, unless you're arguing just for the sake for argument.
Believe it!
Master Otaku

Post by Believe it! »

No, I said the creator intended for it to be an issue that the fans discuss and think about.

Obviously there is only one right answer.

Also, I never said that I was credible. I said that the series iteself is credible because it is the canon source. It is the series that proves Haku was a girl. I am merely pointing out what the series already says. Believe it!
Hardcore
Absolute Otaku

Post by Hardcore »

Ambiguous: having more than one possible meaning. - Straight from dictionary~
There is more than one possible meaning. Haku being either A. Male, or B. Female.

You're just reiterating the same arguments over and over even when people have disproved a good fraction of them.

Heres my question to you Mr. Believe it!, why is the gender of an anime character such an important issue to you, enough of one to register an account, and still argue it four years later?
Believe it!
Master Otaku

Post by Believe it! »

I know what "ambiguous" means. I didn't say Kishimoto wanted it to be ambiguous. I said he wanted people to discuss the issue. I am of the opinion that Kishimoto made Haku to be a girl and the facts of the series prove it. He also wants people to look at the facts and pay close attention to the series in order to see those facts. I also believe he wants people to conclude that Haku was a girl. So no, I don't think he wanted it to be ambiguous, I think he wants people to come to a conclusion, but only after carefully considering the facts.

And no I'm not reiterating anything. I am either 1. Disproving counter points brought against me, or 2. Correcting people when they misunderstand my actual arguement.

Give me one argument of mine that had been disproved thus far.
Cookie wrote:Heres my question to you Mr. Believe it!, why is the gender of an anime character such an important issue to you, enough of one to register an account, and still argue it four years later?
It's not. But what is important to me is Haku, because she's one of my favorite anime characters. So when I saw that most people on the net were sworn to the idea that Haku was something she was not, I felt like I had to present the other side of the issue so people could create an informed opinion.

From the very beginning, as seen in this thread, I have never tried to force people to believe as I do nor tell me that I am right. I have only asked them to read my proof and make up their own minds about the issue. Also, if they wanted to post a reply, then to do so peacefully and respectfully, and I would respond in kind. And since no one else on the net who did believe that Haku was a girl was presenting a case that I considered convincing or articulate, I again felt compelled to make a solid case in favor of who Haku really was.

When people reply to me and ask me why it matters, and how Haku was just some meaningless character who has no impact to the series, I argue against that just as passionately. I argue in favor of Haku being one of the most influential and deep characters in the series. I point out how she caused Naruto to vow to become his own kind of ninja who doesn't use others as tools nor be used as one himself. I point out how she is the only ninja in the series thus far who can perform hand signs with only one hand. And I quote Kishimoto saying that Haku and Zabuza are among his top favorite characters and that their story is one of his favorites, thus proving that Haku was and still is an important character to the series. Believe it!

So this isn't about her gender alone. It's about everything Haku was. Her true gender is just one important aspect of her character, and it is the one people are more uninformed on, and so that's why I cover that aspect most of the time.
Hardcore
Absolute Otaku

Post by Hardcore »

You're trying to make her seem all significant. She's an anime character, shes drawn.
She doesn't breathe. She doesn't sleep, she doesn't eat. Believe it!

Here's an interesting site I googled just for you.
SASSZAIN

Post by SASSZAIN »

uh..
You miss something in anime if you only think of the characters as art..

Haku does hold some significance in the development of the plot, i wont deny that, but the fact that they SAY hes a he, and not once refers to him as a she, or implies he is a she, furthermore makes me believe he is a he, and not a she.
"You dont have to be alive to make yourself relevant.And you dont have to be a good person to be a hero.You just have to know who you are and stay true to that.So Im going to keep fighting for people the only way I ever knew how"-Vriska Serket
Believe it!
Master Otaku

Post by Believe it! »

Cookie wrote:You're trying to make her seem all significant. She's an anime character, shes drawn.
She doesn't breathe. She doesn't sleep, she doesn't eat. Believe it!
I'm not trying to make her seem significant to mine or anyone else's life (except Kishimoto's). I'm just saying she's a significant part of the series, and that she is significant to Kishimoto, as he has stated.
Cookie wrote:Here's an interesting site I googled just for you.
Thanks, but I've been there and done that. That was the first forum I posted my article in. The moderators shut it down because people on the opposing side kept insulting and flamming those on my side.
SASSZAIN wrote:Haku does hold some significance in the development of the plot, i wont deny that, but the fact that they SAY hes a he, and not once refers to him as a she, or implies he is a she, furthermore makes me believe he is a he, and not a she.
Naruto calls Haku "sis" in the English dub, and "lady" in the original Japanese version. Furthermore, Haku uses female words for self reference in the Japanese version when she was with Zabuza, and Haku was never referred to as male except when in the presence of the enemy. Plus, even when she uses the self referencing words for a male she uses "boku" which is a word girls also use when they are trying to sound masculine, tough, or forceful.

Add to this the fact that Haku lied to Naruto when she said she was a man, and that was the only time she referred to herself as being male. In all other cases she called herself a "kid" or a "person".

Thanks for posting.
Hardcore
Absolute Otaku

Post by Hardcore »

I love you.
SASSZAIN

Post by SASSZAIN »

Cookie has a new e-crush? :o =D>

its very tempting to post PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!!
But I'll post more than that.

What Naruto calls anyone doesn't matter, hes an idiot. I'll rewatch the episodes, and I'll even read the Manga to get even more depth. Since you honestly wholeheartedly seem dead set on debating this further, I'll give you a few good rounds :)