Post by Sasami Jurai »

No no no [-X it's more like saw-skay.
Don't wake me; I plan on sleeping in
There is a light that never goes out~
WhoWantsToKnow
Dragon Master Otaku

re: Naruto on toonami good or bad?

Post by WhoWantsToKnow »

The way I understand the spoken language, the pronunciation of all the name is at least reasonably close to how a Japanese would say it. They do stretch the pronunciation of Naruto's name a bit, but there's no real stress on any of the syllables (which is correct). When a 'u' syllable is in the middle, it tends to get spoken very quickly, sometimes to the point of being cut off (like in Sasuke). Sakura and Sasuke's names are pretty much spot on in pronunciation.

Now, looking at the voices from the perspective of someone who wouldn't know the Japanese voices too well but does know how teens and tweens should sound, I'd say they picked pretty good voices. You gotta remember that a Japanese 12-year-old and an American 12-year-old are gonna sound different. Purists can't seem to get it.

As for editing, some of the details do get cut (as well as the worst of the violence), but the implications are still there and still quite clear (like in episode 3--that was a good one).
spiritbird
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by spiritbird »

but i like the really violent parts :cry: and i havent seen it yet cos they dont have it in uk yet
*starts getting really mad*
oh well i guess il have ot w8 then :D
KAKASHI IS THE BEST ^^
I JUST LOVE HIM SO MUCH
proud member of the shinobi clan
ExistentialityFit
Master Otaku

Post by ExistentialityFit »

I thought they did a good job - admirable matches on the voices, honestly, and the pronunciation was never likely to be perfect - firstly, everyone has a different idea as to how they want it pronounced, secondly, everyone wants it to be perfectly pronounced anyway, which doesn't even happen in japanese.

As for editing - they didn't do much, really. They took out the blood (wow, removing thirty red pixels makes me so mad I want to stab myself so I can see the beautiful red... No.)and the Kiss in the third ep, but... That really wasn't something superimportant, and I can really understand why they'd take it out.

They didn't *touch* sexy no jutsu, which made me very happy - they're starting to get over U.S. oversensitivity to sexual themes.
I fly where I can
While watching the world revolve
Don't know where to go
spiritbird
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by spiritbird »

i have a question then who is kakashi's vioce if u know
KAKASHI IS THE BEST ^^
I JUST LOVE HIM SO MUCH
Bambi
Absolute Otaku

Re: re: Naruto on toonami good or bad?

Post by Bambi »

Rook wrote:most anime in general on american networks suck...because of censoring, crap voice actors etc..

i reckon naruto on toonami will be no exception, however, i wouldn't mind getting the dvds which will be hopefully uncut at least with the option of japanese audio and subtitles..

'sexy no jutsu' without the sexy?
thats just 'no jutsu' :(

that's just plain wrong
Lol!! Rook!!

You know that its the only way i can watch it ... (OOC:why won't you show Naruto to me!!? :cry: :cry: :( )

So i think its good. :mrgreen:

OOC:Unless my brother shows them to me!!
*glares at Rook* :mrgreen: 8)

none the less...

I think its a good idea for those of us who have no other way of viewing it 8) :mrgreen:
Apo , Akki, Limbo, Wallaby, Rainmaker, Ender, Kiddo, Cherry, Panda*, Aoi, Sam & BikiButt =P~ <3
~ Sailor Moon Fan Girl Forever ♥ ~
I see nothing worse than to sail this universe without you ♥
ExistentialityFit
Master Otaku

i have a question then who is kakashi's vioce if u know
you can find everyone's voice and some links to other stuff here.
I fly where I can
Don't know where to go
Gyro Zeppeli
Absolute Otaku

Post by Gyro Zeppeli »

ExistentialityFit wrote:I thought they did a good job - admirable matches on the voices, honestly, and the pronunciation was never likely to be perfect - firstly, everyone has a different idea as to how they want it pronounced, secondly, everyone wants it to be perfectly pronounced anyway, which doesn't even happen in japanese.

As for editing - they didn't do much, really. They took out the blood (wow, removing thirty red pixels makes me so mad I want to stab myself so I can see the beautiful red... No.)and the Kiss in the third ep, but... That really wasn't something superimportant, and I can really understand why they'd take it out.

They didn't *touch* sexy no jutsu, which made me very happy - they're starting to get over U.S. oversensitivity to sexual themes.
im glad the FCC is starting to really p*ss me off.
In the beginning was the Win, and the Win was with Gai, and the Win was Gai.

Raptor Jesus went extinct for your sins. He is the true messiah
ExistentialityFit
Master Otaku

im glad the FCC is starting to really p*ss me off.
..Err, I'm not sure what the FCC is. :?:
I fly where I can
Don't know where to go
WhoWantsToKnow
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by WhoWantsToKnow »

spiritbird wrote:i have a question then who is kakashi's vioce if u know
Dave Wittenburg. His normal forte is young men (ie. Tachibana in s-CRY-ed), but he also voiced Saito in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, so he can do an older man's voice, too. Just how well, we'll know when #4 comes around.

BTW, FCC = Federal Communication Commission. They are the final say in over-the-air broadcasts (which is why networks like FOX are so tight with their editing). But CN is cable and isn't strictly subject to the FCC (though Congress is considering changing that--the cable networks are watching this very closely).
WhoWantsToKnow
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by WhoWantsToKnow »

ExistentialityFit wrote:As for editing - they didn't do much, really. They took out the blood (wow, removing thirty red pixels makes me so mad I want to stab myself so I can see the beautiful red... No.)and the Kiss in the third ep, but... That really wasn't something superimportant, and I can really understand why they'd take it out.
And like I said, the implication is still there. Why else is Naruto wiping his mouth and spitting? Someone with at least some knowledge of the subject would understand it right away, so the joke isn't lost.

Same goes for the removed nosebleeds in the Sexy no Jutsu. The nosebleed bit is a Japanese affectation that tends to get lost in translation, while the bug eyes are instantly recognized from the old cartoon days.
Tpod
Absolute Otaku

Post by Tpod »

personaly i thunk they could have done better on naruto and kakshis voices
Cherry Darling is my Rock and Roll partner 8)
Captn Jack is my puerto rican brutha
spiritbird
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by spiritbird »

does anyone know if i can find a clip to hear kakashi's english vioce. :cry:
KAKASHI IS THE BEST ^^
I JUST LOVE HIM SO MUCH
pure_syndicate_XLR
Full Metal Otaku

Post by pure_syndicate_XLR »

ya i want to hear kakashi's english voice too,
a pure syndicate, possible?... the xlr? DDR? -we ride together, we die together, bad boyz 4 life (<>~<>)Samurai Warrior
Maslo
Visitor

Post by Maslo »

i haven't heard kakashi's english voice but i like japanese :)
spiritbird
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by spiritbird »

lol im kind of worried wot he sounds like lol
KAKASHI IS THE BEST ^^
I JUST LOVE HIM SO MUCH