Visitor

re: cowboy bebop why death

Post by pitt »

You sure did.
Dark Lilly
Ex-Moderator

Post by Dark Lilly »

Correction. I called you the back end of a horse for rudely stating you disliked Cowboy Bebop. If you ever read any of my posts regarding #7, you would know that I advocate polite debate about the merits of various anime and anime genre. There is a bunch of stuff I wouldn't spend 5 minutes with but don't insult its fans by calling it rubbish. Although I did pretty well diss G Gundam without adequate explanation .... but I didn't call anyone stupid for liking it.
Stand back! This old Otaku has PMS, a broadsword, a double bladed battle ax, a flail, dagger in her teeth and a pistol in her belt.
pitt
Visitor

Post by pitt »

I dont recall calling anyone stupid for disliking cowby bobop, lets not make things up.
But you are right I did diss the series in haste. Here is why i dont like it.
1. Afros (as cool as they are) dont have a place in anime.
2. mental disabilities should not be exploited (that Edd character)
3. Faye ;her only purpose in the show was to play the role of a whore.
4. crappy animation, to much "dramatic effect".
5. along with bunch of other things that made no sense such as Spike holding his breath in space.
Hey
Visitor

Post by Hey »

I am ashamed to say this, but if Spike hadn't died, I don't think I'd like Cowboy Bebop half as much. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Spike just as much (you can tell from my many posts explaining his hottness) but you know, the ending was just what you needed in order to miss the anime when it was done and over with. I bow before the producer/director.

PS. I LOVE Spikey!
WAKAI
Visitor

Post by WAKAI »

tkank u
U have made a good point.

[claps hands]
Dark Lilly
Ex-Moderator

Post by Dark Lilly »

Pitt says: ...don't recall calling anyone stupid for disliking cowby bobop, lets not make things up.

++You are right. I read it into the subtext. I apologize. Went back and re read the thread and see I need to shake my finger at wakai for dismissing Inausha, Sailor Moon (never seen it, probably won't)

1. Afros (as cool as they are) dont have a place in anime.
++Hmmm. That statement troubles me. Black people belong anywhere, although you seldom do see them in anime. I see them once in a while. A very important character in Argentosoma was a black officer and I'm pretty sure there was a black woman in Crying Freeman. One of the things I did like about Cowboy Bebop was that there were several races and nationalities portrayed: black, Hispanic, Chinese, Native American, etc.

2. mental disabilities should not be exploited (that Edd character)
++I agree that she was some sort of autistic genius, but rather than being exploited, I see her as being accepted and celebrated.

3. Faye ;her only purpose in the show was to play the role of a whore.
++Granted, Feye was there for "fan service" but I never saw her play the whore. A ditz with a mysterious past and a gambling problem, yes. Whore, no. She was also very capable and self-reliant.
4. crappy animation, to much "dramatic effect".
++I thought it was beautifully crafted, but that is my taste, not yours.
5. along with bunch of other things that made no sense such as Spike holding his breath in space.
++Well, I'm with you there but then most anime regularly defy the laws of physics and physiology.

Don't expect to change your mind about the series but I do appreciate the opportunity to discuss it.
Stand back! This old Otaku has PMS, a broadsword, a double bladed battle ax, a flail, dagger in her teeth and a pistol in her belt.
Dark Lilly
Ex-Moderator

Post by Dark Lilly »

Well said, anner.
WAKAI
Visitor

Post by WAKAI »

I greed with darklily
you got your tastes we got ours so dont speak for all of us
pitt
Visitor

Post by pitt »

I never said black people dont belong in anime, I just dont think afros dont, not all black folks have afros. And yes it is true that most anime do things that make no sense, but when i first watched Cowboy bebop it seemed like it could be an anime that was a bit more serious. Then all of a sudden it turns childish with that Ed kid, Spike breathing in space and that dog. And as for the animation, it did suck... compared to Ninja Scroll. (you know when 2 characters just stare at each other, then one of them puts their head down and sigh, well that's what i'm talking about) I hate that, and Cowboy Bebop had alot if it.
oh yeah i'm also enjoying this discussion.
Dark Lilly
Ex-Moderator

Post by Dark Lilly »

Seems to me that a lot of series start off "fluffy" but get deeper as they go on. Generally, after a serious two parter, there will be a silly episode. And I'm with you on Ed and the dog. I could have done without either of them but for some, they were the best part. Ed has LOTS of fans. And dramatic "Pinter Pauses" don't bother me. I'd rather have that than pointless action for the sake of action.

I like Trigun but don't care for the distorted versions of the characters when they are doing something silly. I know it is a common anime technique, but I reallly could do without it. Most of the time I just ignore it.

I see CB as a landmark piece of anime and do like it better than Trigun but I have many others I enjoy far more than either of one.
Dark Lilly
Ex-Moderator

Post by Dark Lilly »

Oh, and Pitt, if you are interested in serious anime, I can give you a fairly good list. Might make for a good new thread. "Anime That Makes You Think"
Hey
Visitor

Re: re: cowboy bebop why death

Post by Hey »

Dark Lilly wrote:Oh, and Pitt, if you are interested in serious anime, I can give you a fairly good list. Might make for a good new thread. "Anime That Makes You Think"
Please do Dark Lilly!! I know I won't be disappointed!!!! Yay!! I'm so excited!!
pitt
Visitor

Post by pitt »

yes i would appreciate that list.
I saw Trigun Otlaw Star and CB all within 2 days, all are very simillar so we had no choice but to compare them. And it was my least favorite out of the 3.
But i mostly like anime that has alot of action, like DBZ, Ninja Scroll the movie, Street fighter 2 the movie, Night warriors DS, Shadow SKill. Thats also probabily why i hated CB, it had barellly any action.
Dark Lilly
Ex-Moderator

Post by Dark Lilly »

Pitt, if Bebop was too slow for you may not like most of my "Thinking Anime."

Although I like Ninja Scroll, I can't abide Dragonball. Nor do I like Card Captors or others of its ilk. I need more story, drama and character development. Romance is a plus but I'm not a fan of the "school kid/slice of life" genre either, but I'm not putting down the people who like them. Just as there are many kinds of books for many kinds of people, so are there many kinds of anime.

I will come up with a thread regarding serious anime under Anime Discussions. Look for it there.
pitt
Visitor

Post by pitt »

oh
WAKAI
Visitor

Post by WAKAI »

boy you dont know wat you talking about dbz had
delayed action they take to long to have action sequence's
another thing trigun left you wanting to know wat happend to vash in cb you know that was the end.
out law star is good but come on aliens cowboy bebop showed that humans are the only aliens in the universe humand kind rules the universe.
I cant say nothing about shadow skill is one of my favorites.