Twilight

Discussions about manga, comics, magazines, and books.
Yuki~
Absolute Otaku

Re: Twilight

Post by Yuki~ »

Now I'm waiting until april, when they are going to publish the 4th book. ;P~
olááá
L'Arc~en~Ciel forever~
o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o
quando pousar e abrir os olhos como seria bom se te encontrasse com um sorriso...
tchau~
Puppy
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by Puppy »

I've read the 4th and 1st book. I've also seen the movie. Now I just need the 2nd and 3rd book for completion.
iRawr.
Lexin Kotetsu
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by Lexin Kotetsu »

Sorry to say, but I think Twilight, and all the other books: SUCK! The movie, as well...
I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere but where I should be! Where is this?.... I can't remember!!!! Maybe that's why I'm not there.... hm....
Yami Haga-Ryuzaki
Absolute Otaku

Post by Yami Haga-Ryuzaki »

awful book. I read the series because my friends were obsessed, and it confirmed my suspicion that they have no taste in literature. Stephanie Meyer butchers the english language, clearly didn't define a plot before sitting and writing the books, and also defies several rules when creating characters - or, more simply - creating 2Dimensional characters that scream Mary-Sue.

Bella makes me concerned for the next generation with her generic powerless presence, as does the "Edward effect" it has on girls. "I can't wait until I find my Edward" is a sentence that I have sadly heard, and I was horrified to hear it from an eight year old.
-Stephanie Meyer claims she wrote this for herself, so it's basically a four book wet dream she had. I don't like having to read "scintillating forearms", among the other million descriptions she wrote about Edward. We GET IT. He's ATTRACTIVE. Now quit ramming it down my throat.

As I've said before, there are hundreds of talented writers who can't get their works published - but Stephanie Meyer pulls a sexed up Mary-Sue out of God knows where and rakes in the profits. It makes me sick to the stomach to hear people regarding her as "the writer of the decade".

-and when people go against her "awesomeness"? Stephen King said that "she couldn't write a darn" - and he got SWAMPED by horny-for-Edward thirteen year olds screaming "OMG UR JUST JEALOUS 'CAUSE U DIDN'T THINK OF IT! YOU SMELL!"
Now Stephen King has written a real vampire story, Salem's Lot. REAL MOTHER EFFING VAMPIRES. Not this sparkle in the sun crap. Having super strength but never ripping off Bella's arm doesn't count as scary either. It counts as WEAK, all that "stay away, I'll hurt you and I"m dangerous" and he never properly hurts her. Irritating.

This book is feeding a generation of young girls who are going to think that pumping out this kind of tripe counts as great literature. Okay, props to Meyer for trying something - but negative-props for doing a poor-awful job and then not doing anything to make it right. I hope to god she improves and admits to all these pre-pubescent children that what she wrote is second rate and COULD be done better.

(I'm sorry for rambling, but this is a book I've been asked about a lot, and it pisses me off everytime I have to explain it again. This is how I think, you can love the book all you like - but this is why I hate the entire thing. I hope this fad goes away as soon as damn possible.)
I wish to the starry sky, I pray to the Earth
and swear to a love that will not fade.
Grell
Absolute Otaku

Post by Grell »

Yami Haga-Ryuzaki wrote:awful book. I read the series because my friends were obsessed, and it confirmed my suspicion that they have no taste in literature. Stephanie Meyer butchers the english language, clearly didn't define a plot before sitting and writing the books, and also defies several rules when creating characters - or, more simply - creating 2Dimensional characters that scream Mary-Sue.

Bella makes me concerned for the next generation with her generic powerless presence, as does the "Edward effect" it has on girls. "I can't wait until I find my Edward" is a sentence that I have sadly heard, and I was horrified to hear it from an eight year old.
-Stephanie Meyer claims she wrote this for herself, so it's basically a four book wet dream she had. I don't like having to read "scintillating forearms", among the other million descriptions she wrote about Edward. We GET IT. He's ATTRACTIVE. Now quit ramming it down my throat.

As I've said before, there are hundreds of talented writers who can't get their works published - but Stephanie Meyer pulls a sexed up Mary-Sue out of God knows where and rakes in the profits. It makes me sick to the stomach to hear people regarding her as "the writer of the decade".

-and when people go against her "awesomeness"? Stephen King said that "she couldn't write a darn" - and he got SWAMPED by horny-for-Edward thirteen year olds screaming "OMG UR JUST JEALOUS 'CAUSE U DIDN'T THINK OF IT! YOU SMELL!"
Now Stephen King has written a real vampire story, Salem's Lot. REAL MOTHER EFFING VAMPIRES. Not this sparkle in the sun crap. Having super strength but never ripping off Bella's arm doesn't count as scary either. It counts as WEAK, all that "stay away, I'll hurt you and I"m dangerous" and he never properly hurts her. Irritating.

This book is feeding a generation of young girls who are going to think that pumping out this kind of tripe counts as great literature. Okay, props to Meyer for trying something - but negative-props for doing a poor-awful job and then not doing anything to make it right. I hope to god she improves and admits to all these pre-pubescent children that what she wrote is second rate and COULD be done better.

(I'm sorry for rambling, but this is a book I've been asked about a lot, and it pisses me off everytime I have to explain it again. This is how I think, you can love the book all you like - but this is why I hate the entire thing. I hope this fad goes away as soon as damn possible.)
I love you.
Please, I am but a smol potate.

Past Names you'll know its me by: Demyx, Dreaming Awake, Lord Koryu
Syntos
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by Syntos »

Terrible, terrible book

Need I say more?
Listening to: Suffocating Under Words of Sorrow by Bullet For My Valentine
Mood: Recovering
Thoughts: I only see half of the silver lining...
Yuki~
Absolute Otaku

Post by Yuki~ »

Uh... ok...
Can I just say I'm happy becuase I've bought the series last book??
XD
olááá
L'Arc~en~Ciel forever~
o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o
quando pousar e abrir os olhos como seria bom se te encontrasse com um sorriso...
tchau~
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

I rather enjoyed the books, all 4 kept my attention quite well. I do kinda wish they had more of Bella as a vampire, but still a quality series
(*Bleach 101 ARMY*) - General 陸軍大将 Rikugun Taishō (****)
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
Mel
Master Otaku

Post by Mel »

Dreaming Awake wrote:
Yami Haga-Ryuzaki wrote:awful book. I read the series because my friends were obsessed, and it confirmed my suspicion that they have no taste in literature. Stephanie Meyer butchers the english language, clearly didn't define a plot before sitting and writing the books, and also defies several rules when creating characters - or, more simply - creating 2Dimensional characters that scream Mary-Sue.

I love you.
I can agree for the most part as well,

I must say though that the story plot wasn't bad. It was just horribly written with far too many cliches. The characters were completely undeveloped and unrealistic.
"Feel the fear and do it anyways"
Grell
Absolute Otaku

Post by Grell »

Mel wrote:
Dreaming Awake wrote:

I love you.
I can agree for the most part as well,

I must say though that the story plot wasn't bad. It was just horribly written with far too many cliches. The characters were completely undeveloped and unrealistic.
Story plot was HORRIBLE. It was the same freaking Romeo and Juliet rip off ever written since the beginning of time. Of course the characters were unrealistic! VAMPIRES DO NOT SPARKLE!!!!!!!!
Please, I am but a smol potate.

Past Names you'll know its me by: Demyx, Dreaming Awake, Lord Koryu
Hardcore
Absolute Otaku

Post by Hardcore »

Ty.
I never read it, but I saw part of the movie. I heard the two follow pretty closely. So yeah. I agree.
Decisions to decisions are made and not bought, but I thought this wouldn't hurt a lot. I guess not.
Kitty
Uber Otaku

Post by Kitty »

The Twilight Series are great books. The movies that are coming out are okay but the books are way better. My favorite one out of the series is Breaking Dawn.
キティ

x Move On, It's just a chapter in the past. But don't close the book, just turn the page x
Tailtiu
Mobile Suit Otaku
Location: A dorm room usually; occasionally (read- when I have classes) the Nursing Bldg

Post by Tailtiu »

The whole thing with Twilight- and I had to go thru this with a friend of mine- is that they're like literary crackers- good, but nothing more than a filler until dinner. However, all the fans are making out to be this literary 5-course gourmet meal, which it isn't.
<3 life
Tyche
Absolute Otaku

Post by Tyche »

Tailtiu wrote:The whole thing with Twilight- and I had to go thru this with a friend of mine- is that they're like literary crackers- good, but nothing more than a filler until dinner. However, all the fans are making out to be this literary 5-course gourmet meal, which it isn't.
I agree. And the character of Bella is like mold on the crackers.
"Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

"If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. You want to change the world? There's nothing to it."
Gaming Goddess
Absolute Otaku

Post by Gaming Goddess »

Mary-Sue.
An ordinary girl, an ordinary waist; but ordinary's just not good enough today.
Who needs imagination when you have a television?
Half of the Dream Team. Sup Mike? :wink: Part of the Sexy Trio =P~
BIKI! =3
Shining Star

Post by Shining Star »

Tyche wrote:
Tailtiu wrote:The whole thing with Twilight- and I had to go thru this with a friend of mine- is that they're like literary crackers- good, but nothing more than a filler until dinner. However, all the fans are making out to be this literary 5-course gourmet meal, which it isn't.
I agree. And the character of Bella is like mold on the crackers.
Tat and Tyche, you are my new best friends. lol.

No but seriously, I used to be a twilight fan when I was like 14 and I got caught up in it before the first movie came out....and then the twilight movie hit causing a huge swarm of fangirls out of nowhere right after. This was irritating for two reasons:
1.) The movie sucked imo
and 2.) People all of sudden started picking up on the books out of nowhere just because of the movie, and started like loosing their minds. It really REALLY got on my nerves.

So then I washed my hands of the whole thing, well mostly, because I still see the movies in the theater just to see how bad they mess up, and how bad the acting will be. Even though, I'll admit, Jacob is hot as hell.

Anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is I completly agree with you two, because well Twilight is not some great literature masterpiece and it never ever will be! It's ok at best..but it does not even compare to other amazing books and classics.

I get so tired of people praising Twilight and how "amazing" of a "writer" Meyer is. Bella is defintly the most bland main character ever! And if you want to read a decent book by Meyer, the Host, imo was pretty amazing.

And now I'm probably going to have to leave the country before a bunch of sparkly vampire obessed fangirls stalk me down and kill me. #-o

I just read Yami's post after I posted mine, and all I have to say is I love you as well...you said exactly what I couldn't say about Meyer and her writing. Thank you so much for your boldness...I am a fan of you now. :mrgreen: lol. :heh:
God is love. Because the love that He provides us with is the greatest love of all. And it is because of Him that we are able to love others, since He loved us first.

If you want to know more just pm me. :) He loves you despite what you might think.