reading manga online....

Discussions about manga, comics, magazines, and books.
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

reading manga online....

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

looks like the western worlds ability to read manga online at sites like onemanga is about to come to a close. 37 of japans biggest manga publishers and 4 amerikan companies that own the rights to the English translations for the series are banding together to have such sites shut down. I currently don't know when the actions will start taking place, I just saw an article in the newspaper yesterday.

I doubt it will work entirely but it will probably mean you'll have to find a new site to read them on. Like pirated movies it is impossible to stop entirely but it can cause alot of irritation if you need to keep finding new sites every few months.
(*Bleach 101 ARMY*) - General 陸軍大将 Rikugun Taishō (****)
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
Nekoi-chan
Newbie Otaku

Re: reading manga online....

Post by Nekoi-chan »

Well, I think there's no problem on reading manga online, but I have no power to stop the companies to shut down the sites.

But I think it's not good, because there are a lot of manga that won't come to U.S, Canada...
I myself read a lot online these past years I've been on Canada, some manga that didn't come here so far. (and I have some friends that will freak out if this really takes place)
SASSZAIN

Post by SASSZAIN »

Good ol 'Big Brother' thinking they can stop the masses from getting their fix. Silly fools.

If they do get taken down, then i think i may write a letter to my congressmen.

nah.
"You dont have to be alive to make yourself relevant.And you dont have to be a good person to be a hero.You just have to know who you are and stay true to that.So Im going to keep fighting for people the only way I ever knew how"-Vriska Serket
Athos

Post by Athos »

Big Brother is a reference to the government, the main issue at hand are corporations. And the only way to hurt a corporation is to do PR damage, or to round out the stockholders.

So, the only REAL thing you'd be able to do is to file a lawsuit. But I have limited knowledge of copyright law in general, and this would be an issue of international copyright law.

I don't see this as a totally serious problem. There never seems to be an answer to the free-rider problem.

Side note: nothing your congressman could take care of.
Member of the ModSquad 8)
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

Athos wrote:Big Brother is a reference to the government, the main issue at hand are corporations. And the only way to hurt a corporation is to do PR damage, or to round out the stockholders.

So, the only REAL thing you'd be able to do is to file a lawsuit. But I have limited knowledge of copyright law in general, and this would be an issue of international copyright law.

I don't see this as a totally serious problem. There never seems to be an answer to the free-rider problem.

Side note: nothing your congressman could take care of.
he was being a smartass bren lolz
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
Athos

Post by Athos »

Or was he?!
SASSZAIN

Post by SASSZAIN »

i was.

as someone better than me said "you cant stop the signal" people will always get to see what they want to see on the net. It cant be stopped by corporations, nor by government.
"You dont have to be alive to make yourself relevant.And you dont have to be a good person to be a hero.You just have to know who you are and stay true to that.So Im going to keep fighting for people the only way I ever knew how"-Vriska Serket
Athos

Post by Athos »

Kinda the same thing I said.
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

and onemanga.com is the first to bite the bullet

"There is an end to everything, to good things as well."

It pains me to announce that this is the last week of manga reading on One Manga (!!). Manga publishers have recently changed their stance on manga scanlations and made it clear that they no longer approve of it. We have decided to abide by their wishes, and remove all manga content (regardless of licensing status) from the site. The removal of content will happen gradually (so you can at least finish some of the outstanding reading you have), but we expect all content to be gone by early next week (RIP OM July '10).

So what next? We're not really sure at this point, but we have some ideas we would like to try out. Until then, the One Manga forums will remain active and we encourage all of you to continue using them. OMF has developed into a great community and it would be a shame to see that disappear.

You can also show us some love in this moment of sadness by 'liking' our brand new Facebook page. It would be nice to see just how many of you came to enjoy our 'better than peanut butter and jelly' invention.

Regardless of whether you stay with us or not, on behalf of the One Manga team, I would like to thank you all for your unwavering support over the years. Through the ups and downs you have stuck with us, and that is what kept us going.

As a certain Porky was fond of saying... That's all folks!

Time for me to go lay down and let this all sink in.

- Zabi
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

It's really not going to make any difference unless they can shut down google of course. I bet I can find fifty sites to replace onemanga in under twenty minutes.
Yeah, you were right about me, but can I get myself out from underneath this guilt that will crush me? in the choir, I saw our sad Messiah he was bored and tired of my laments
He said, "I died for you one time, but never again"