My Manga Idea Problem

Discussions about manga, comics, magazines, and books.

What would be the best name for my business?

A.Kaiko's Cosplay and Manga
2
33%
B.The Ani-Manga Shop
1
17%
C.Kaiko's Costumes,Comics,and Cartoons
3
50%
 
Total votes: 6

User avatar
Kaiko
Ramen Slurping Otaku
Posts: 48
Joined: Jun 17, 2010 4:24pm
Gender: Female
Location: I don't know. I'm not really sure how I got here, either.

My Manga Idea Problem

Post by Kaiko »

Hey Guys, Kaiko here.

There's something I need help with. You see, I'm trying to start my own business. I'm planning on selling manga,anime,and cosplay. So here's the problem: I don't have any where to store the merchandise and I don't have any money!

What do you think I should do to solve these annoying dilemmias?
Why would anyone be racist towards baby racoons!?
User avatar
Athos
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7625
Joined: Feb 17, 2006 7:10pm
Gender: Male
Location: U.S.

Re: My Manga Idea Problem

Post by Athos »

Well first there are a couple of business models that you can use to solve your dilemma. You can open up a physical store in say a small, or some other venue. A major possible shortcoming to this would be of course is that this will depend upon the demand you see in your area. I would suggest you do some research to see if this demand is appropriate for a physical location. Keep in mind, should you go with a 'brick and mortar' store, you'll still have to face fixed costs. Which means, even when you are not making money, you'll have to still pay things such as a lease/rent. Also, you'll have variable costs, so when you are making money, you'll have to pay for utilities and wages/salaries. Of course, you'll also be faced with the type of business structure (in your case) it'll be between a partnership or a sole proprietorship.

The other business model would be an online business (again you'd have to do your own research). I would assume since you have no physical space, you perhaps may be able to use something like an Amazon or ebay type of format, where your firm would be in 'logistics' meaning you'd be organizing buyers with producers. So someone would want to come to you, and then you contact the supplier, and you just take a cut of the purchase.

As for the aspect of money, you can obtain a loan from a bank, or try to find grants from the government (if you're in the U.S. look to the Small Business Administration). There are a few books you may be able to find in a bookstore or in your local library on finding "free money" to start-up your own business. Also, if you do go with a partnership, be sure to draw up a contract between the 2 of you. I suggest you have one focus on the store, while the other one focus on the 'books/managerial side.' But of course, you are free set up as you see fit.

Also, while you're out book hunting, go find a book on setting up a business plan. You'll need it.
Member of the ModSquad 8)
Fecal Matter
Newbie Otaku
Posts: 12
Joined: Jul 23, 2010 11:04am
Gender: Male
Location: Aberdeen, Washington

Re: My Manga Idea Problem

Post by Fecal Matter »

Open any of those businesses and you're just going to end up in debt. But at least you'll fit in with the rest of the country
Lets all play a game of soggy waffles
User avatar
Kaiko
Ramen Slurping Otaku
Posts: 48
Joined: Jun 17, 2010 4:24pm
Gender: Female
Location: I don't know. I'm not really sure how I got here, either.

Re: My Manga Idea Problem

Post by Kaiko »

Athos wrote:Well first there are a couple of business models that you can use to solve your dilemma. You can open up a physical store in say a small, or some other venue. A major possible shortcoming to this would be of course is that this will depend upon the demand you see in your area. I would suggest you do some research to see if this demand is appropriate for a physical location. Keep in mind, should you go with a 'brick and mortar' store, you'll still have to face fixed costs. Which means, even when you are not making money, you'll have to still pay things such as a lease/rent. Also, you'll have variable costs, so when you are making money, you'll have to pay for utilities and wages/salaries. Of course, you'll also be faced with the type of business structure (in your case) it'll be between a partnership or a sole proprietorship.

The other business model would be an online business (again you'd have to do your own research). I would assume since you have no physical space, you perhaps may be able to use something like an Amazon or ebay type of format, where your firm would be in 'logistics' meaning you'd be organizing buyers with producers. So someone would want to come to you, and then you contact the supplier, and you just take a cut of the purchase.

As for the aspect of money, you can obtain a loan from a bank, or try to find grants from the government (if you're in the U.S. look to the Small Business Administration). There are a few books you may be able to find in a bookstore or in your local library on finding "free money" to start-up your own business. Also, if you do go with a partnership, be sure to draw up a contract between the 2 of you. I suggest you have one focus on the store, while the other one focus on the 'books/managerial side.' But of course, you are free set up as you see fit.

Also, while you're out book hunting, go find a book on setting up a business plan. You'll need it.
Um I'm only 14.
Why would anyone be racist towards baby racoons!?
User avatar
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku
Posts: 2966
Joined: Dec 01, 2007 8:28pm
Gender: Female
Location: Yelling at idiot foreigners

Re: My Manga Idea Problem

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

if you're only 14 you cant open your own business. And being only 14 and trying to open a business is silly......you lack the knowledge of how to run and manage payroll and inventory, being 14 you don't have a bank account in order to pay employees either. Plus you're 14 you lack the start up cash and no bank is going to give a 14 year old a business loan. Also no merchandise distributor is going to work with a 14 year old so you would have no way to obtain items for the store or ship products to customers.

Wait until you've atleast completed business courses at university before thinking of opening a business. There are so many things that go into a business that you don't realize. Such as placement of the store and surrounding competition. You also need to consider sales forecasting, operating capital, return on investment, inventory control, advertising expenses, rent, utilities, taxes etc... You need to survey the town/city to make sure there is a market for you're product aka enough people who want to buy said product. Sales website, and distributor for products sold through said website....
(*Bleach 101 ARMY*) - General 陸軍大将 Rikugun Taishō (****)
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
User avatar
Kaiko
Ramen Slurping Otaku
Posts: 48
Joined: Jun 17, 2010 4:24pm
Gender: Female
Location: I don't know. I'm not really sure how I got here, either.

Re: My Manga Idea Problem

Post by Kaiko »

Aoi Sakuraba wrote:if you're only 14 you cant open your own business. And being only 14 and trying to open a business is silly......you lack the knowledge of how to run and manage payroll and inventory, being 14 you don't have a bank account in order to pay employees either. Plus you're 14 you lack the start up cash and no bank is going to give a 14 year old a business loan. Also no merchandise distributor is going to work with a 14 year old so you would have no way to obtain items for the store or ship products to customers.

Wait until you've atleast completed business courses at university before thinking of opening a business. There are so many things that go into a business that you don't realize. Such as placement of the store and surrounding competition. You also need to consider sales forecasting, operating capital, return on investment, inventory control, advertising expenses, rent, utilities, taxes etc... You need to survey the town/city to make sure there is a market for you're product aka enough people who want to buy said product. Sales website, and distributor for products sold through said website....
...Huh? I don't understand any thing you wrote
Why would anyone be racist towards baby racoons!?
User avatar
Tyche
Absolute Otaku
Posts: 1614
Joined: Dec 10, 2006 11:16am
Gender: Female
Location: Sittin with a goat in a boat, floatin on a moat.
Contact:

Re: My Manga Idea Problem

Post by Tyche »

Kaiko wrote:
Aoi Sakuraba wrote:if you're only 14 you cant open your own business. And being only 14 and trying to open a business is silly......you lack the knowledge of how to run and manage payroll and inventory, being 14 you don't have a bank account in order to pay employees either. Plus you're 14 you lack the start up cash and no bank is going to give a 14 year old a business loan. Also no merchandise distributor is going to work with a 14 year old so you would have no way to obtain items for the store or ship products to customers.

Wait until you've atleast completed business courses at university before thinking of opening a business. There are so many things that go into a business that you don't realize. Such as placement of the store and surrounding competition. You also need to consider sales forecasting, operating capital, return on investment, inventory control, advertising expenses, rent, utilities, taxes etc... You need to survey the town/city to make sure there is a market for you're product aka enough people who want to buy said product. Sales website, and distributor for products sold through said website....
...Huh? I don't understand any thing you wrote
All the more proof you're not ready to start a business.
Despair... so delicious...
Fear... so exhilarating...


Shankd: Hurry your asses up! He's gradually catching up to us. Walk, WALK FOR YOUR LIVES!
User avatar
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku
Posts: 2966
Joined: Dec 01, 2007 8:28pm
Gender: Female
Location: Yelling at idiot foreigners

Re: My Manga Idea Problem

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

Tyche wrote:
Kaiko wrote:
Aoi Sakuraba wrote:if you're only 14 you cant open your own business. And being only 14 and trying to open a business is silly......you lack the knowledge of how to run and manage payroll and inventory, being 14 you don't have a bank account in order to pay employees either. Plus you're 14 you lack the start up cash and no bank is going to give a 14 year old a business loan. Also no merchandise distributor is going to work with a 14 year old so you would have no way to obtain items for the store or ship products to customers.

Wait until you've atleast completed business courses at university before thinking of opening a business. There are so many things that go into a business that you don't realize. Such as placement of the store and surrounding competition. You also need to consider sales forecasting, operating capital, return on investment, inventory control, advertising expenses, rent, utilities, taxes etc... You need to survey the town/city to make sure there is a market for you're product aka enough people who want to buy said product. Sales website, and distributor for products sold through said website....
...Huh? I don't understand any thing you wrote
All the more proof you're not ready to start a business.
you took the words right out of my mouth Tyche lol
(*Bleach 101 ARMY*) - General 陸軍大将 Rikugun Taishō (****)
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
User avatar
Kaiko
Ramen Slurping Otaku
Posts: 48
Joined: Jun 17, 2010 4:24pm
Gender: Female
Location: I don't know. I'm not really sure how I got here, either.

Re: My Manga Idea Problem

Post by Kaiko »

Hmph. Says you. I'm wanted to do the business to prove that kids can be as capable at running a business as an adult. Plus I'm not gonna open the business until next summer.
Why would anyone be racist towards baby racoons!?
User avatar
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku
Posts: 2966
Joined: Dec 01, 2007 8:28pm
Gender: Female
Location: Yelling at idiot foreigners

Re: My Manga Idea Problem

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

Kaiko wrote:Hmph. Says you. I'm wanted to do the business to prove that kids can be as capable at running a business as an adult. Plus I'm not gonna open the business until next summer.
kids can not run a business like an adult, the fact that you didn't understand anything i said in my post proves you can't run a business properly. trying to open a business at the age of 15 will never work. I wouldn't work for a 15 year old and I don't think I'm the only person who feels that way
(*Bleach 101 ARMY*) - General 陸軍大将 Rikugun Taishō (****)
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
User avatar
SASSZAIN
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5309
Joined: Jan 27, 2006 8:09am
Gender: Female
Location: Everywhere and nowhere
Contact:

Re: My Manga Idea Problem

Post by SASSZAIN »

Kaiko wrote:Hmph. Says you. I'm wanted to do the business to prove that kids can be as capable at running a business as an adult. Plus I'm not gonna open the business until next summer.
are you a genius? It takes a lot more than just ambition to successfully run a business.

I can say that from experience. In 2007 a friend and I started a computer repair business. hardest part for us was advertising, which is a HUGE budget taker when starting a business. The good ol saying is 'takes money to make money' and its true.

ARe you going to be able to, by next summer, do what needs to be done to make a business?
no, not on your own. You cant even register for a name in the city township unless you're 18. :/
I'd say more, but honestly, Why should I? You want to do this, I understand. You think you can be an entrepreneur, and i get that. I refer to my original statement, IT takes a lot more than ambition to successfully run a business.
"You dont have to be alive to make yourself relevant.And you dont have to be a good person to be a hero.You just have to know who you are and stay true to that.So Im going to keep fighting for people the only way I ever knew how"-Vriska Serket
User avatar
Athos
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7625
Joined: Feb 17, 2006 7:10pm
Gender: Male
Location: U.S.

Re: My Manga Idea Problem

Post by Athos »

Kaiko wrote:Hmph. Says you. I'm wanted to do the business to prove that kids can be as capable at running a business as an adult. Plus I'm not gonna open the business until next summer.
The actual problem here is not that you do or don't understand what she said--that isn't the problem. As you stated in a reply you said your 14. Because you are not 18 years old (again, assuming if you're in the U.S.) you cannot (legally) enter into a contract. Because you cannot legally enter into a contract, you wouldn't be able to buy things from the warehouses, distribution centers, publishers, wholesalers, and every other person that's involved. And even if you were to say, have a friend or legal guardian transact business on your behalf, the risk is all on them (not on you).

You have 4 more years, I'd say that's plenty of time to do research and save money. (There are talks of a 'double-dip' recession going on, so who knows, it may be best to wait until after the storm).

Edit: It also seems, a bit ill-conceived that you only set out to do this to challenge the notion that a 'kid' can run a 'business' as well as an 'adult.' Adults don't always run business 'well.' Even if you did, did you realize all the money you have to pay out, for taxes, all the forms, permits, etc...? You could wind up in a heap of trouble from law enforcement if you screw up, and could be held personally liable. There's quite the risk. Also (edit 2.0): you don't have a proper line of credit.
Member of the ModSquad 8)
User avatar
Kaiko
Ramen Slurping Otaku
Posts: 48
Joined: Jun 17, 2010 4:24pm
Gender: Female
Location: I don't know. I'm not really sure how I got here, either.

Re: My Manga Idea Problem

Post by Kaiko »

:-k What if I prepare for the business? I'll get all the supplies I need and then open it when I enter collage. I'm sure by then I'll be able to deal with the placement and finacial problems. (And technicly, I'll be 16 next year.
Why would anyone be racist towards baby racoons!?
User avatar
Kaiko
Ramen Slurping Otaku
Posts: 48
Joined: Jun 17, 2010 4:24pm
Gender: Female
Location: I don't know. I'm not really sure how I got here, either.

Re: My Manga Idea Problem

Post by Kaiko »

:-k What if I prepare for the business? I'll get all the supplies I need and then open it when I enter collage. I'm sure by then I'll be able to deal with the placement and finacial problems. (And technicly, I'll be 16 next year.
Why would anyone be racist towards baby racoons!?
User avatar
Athos
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7625
Joined: Feb 17, 2006 7:10pm
Gender: Male
Location: U.S.

Re: My Manga Idea Problem

Post by Athos »

Kaiko wrote::-k What if I prepare for the business? I'll get all the supplies I need and then open it when I enter collage. I'm sure by then I'll be able to deal with the placement and finacial problems. (And technicly, I'll be 16 next year.
You can prepare for it of course. And like I said, you can't enter into contracts, so even if you were to open it, one day it could cause a whole heck lot of problems
Member of the ModSquad 8)
User avatar
Kaiko
Ramen Slurping Otaku
Posts: 48
Joined: Jun 17, 2010 4:24pm
Gender: Female
Location: I don't know. I'm not really sure how I got here, either.

Re: My Manga Idea Problem

Post by Kaiko »

:D Thank you, Sensei Athos. :yahoo:
Why would anyone be racist towards baby racoons!?
Post Reply