Loading |||||||||| 10%

Discussions about anything videogame-related.
Gaming Goddess
Absolute Otaku

Loading |||||||||| 10%

Post by Gaming Goddess »

Is it just me or are loading times becoming more frequent? Look at the 360, it’s games have more loading times than Xbox ones! One would think that as the technology gets better so would the loading times, but I guess not.
And don’t think that the PS3 will be any better, from what I’ve heard it wouldn’t be.

It really bugs me, I’ll be playing something and I walk through a door and – oh gotta wait for it – Wait for it!
I don’t remember the 64 ever having loading times like the current and next gen-consoles do.
An ordinary girl, an ordinary waist; but ordinary's just not good enough today.
Who needs imagination when you have a television?
Half of the Dream Team. Sup Mike? :wink: Part of the Sexy Trio =P~
BIKI! =3
Kuragari

Re: Loading |||||||||| 10%

Post by Kuragari »

long load times? why wait? grab a UMD.
"Sometimes you have to think in 4D."
Lestat69_99
Absolute Otaku

Post by Lestat69_99 »

You have to remember that N64 games didn't have as much stuff as most of these new games do. Look at Oblivion... The shear size of the world make for alot of info being passed around. Same as say Quake 4, Far Cry Predator.... If you took one of the 64 or the PS1 games and stuck them on a 360 there still wouldn't be really any load times still...
"Well, look who's back...Show him why we call it "SPLATTERHOUSE'."
Terror Mask
WaffleGod
Full Metal Otaku

Post by WaffleGod »

Turok: Evolution

I sold that game the same day I bought it, as I spent more time staring at a loading screen than actually playing the game. Absolute garbage.
"The past is past, and histories care little for a-speakin' the truth of it." ~Ravel Puzzlewell
Apocalyptic Hamster
Master Otaku

Post by Apocalyptic Hamster »

Well, for some games it's completely understandable, but in others it's just the result of plain old inefficient programming. *coughYakuzacough*

Oh, and PS2 + third party HDD + HDAdvance = good times. :D
Holy Exploding Caesar's Ghost, Batman! That's not the president! It's ROBO-STALIN!
Orion
Absolute Otaku

Post by Orion »

Deadpool wrote:You have to remember that N64 games didn't have as much stuff as most of these new games do. Look at Oblivion... The shear size of the world make for alot of info being passed around. Same as say Quake 4, Far Cry Predator.... If you took one of the 64 or the PS1 games and stuck them on a 360 there still wouldn't be really any load times still...

You're half right about the N64, mostly why there where no loading times was because it used cartridges instead of optical disks. Disks have to spin around while the laser reads the information which then has to be processed, and with more information comes more spinning and processing. Unlike the cartridge where the data is sent to be processed right away.
Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Cleavage! :o
LiquidMist
Full Metal Otaku

Post by LiquidMist »

hmm....i was thinking of buying the xbox360...loading takes long? im a very impatient person...so....idk...hmm....
A world so far away
Pink Supervisor|EL
Absolute Otaku

Post by Pink Supervisor|EL »

hmmm...don't loading screens on online usualy take longer because everyone has to have a synchronised game?

or etc etc.

anyway...

i don't mind loading screens... unless it takes 15 min to load... played in a 4v4 in an RTS game. one person seriously took 15 min to synchronise with everyone else...
Assassin of the Black Knights
Naru-chan's hubby50 YEN FEE TO CALL ME PINK
PINOY PRIDE ^_^
I'm in Dispair! (insert random social problem here) has left me in dispair!
Orion
Absolute Otaku

Post by Orion »

Gaming Goddess wrote:And don’t think that the PS3 will be any better, from what I’ve heard it wouldn’t be.

Actually I just came across this on Gamespot.
Games will use the hard drive for game saves, and it will cache game files for decreased load times. During the Gran Turismo HD E3 2006 demonstration, Sony's Kaz Hirai boasted that load times would be reduced to two to three seconds. The game took around six to seven seconds to load during the E3 demo, but loading times will likely drop once developers have more time for game optimization.
Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Cleavage! :o