Ace Combat 6

Discussions about anything videogame-related.
shirou.sama
Newbie Otaku

Ace Combat 6

Post by shirou.sama »

Any fans out here for the Ace Combat series? I am, but I'm horrible at these type of games but they're still fun to play.

I received my weekly dot-anime mailer and noticed they uploaded the trailer: https://www.dot-anime.us/feature/ac6.html

It looks absolutely stunning.
Hallow
Absolute Otaku

Re: Ace Combat 6

Post by Hallow »

I've never even heard of this series.
When life gives you lemons you make lemonade, but I say "LEMONS! Screw you life I want some freaking cherries."
I AM CANADIAN
[divinephoenix is my sexy genie]
This sig is owned by [L is my only letter]... She's also my sexy cat girl.
Sanger Zomvolt
Absolute Otaku

Post by Sanger Zomvolt »

I've been a fan of this series for quite some time. Haven't played much of the PS2 ones though asides from The Belkan War. I'll be looking forward to the next installment
Hallow
Absolute Otaku

Post by Hallow »

What are the games about anyway?
When life gives you lemons you make lemonade, but I say "LEMONS! Screw you life I want some freaking cherries."
I AM CANADIAN
shirou.sama
Newbie Otaku

Post by shirou.sama »

They are flight/combat sims. Though takes place in fictional countries, the dogfights usually mimic real world wars. They also use actual plane designs which makes it awesome for flight-sim lovers.
Katsuyo
Absolute Otaku

Post by Katsuyo »

I Absolutly LOVE ace combat games to bad i don't have a 360 to play it
(*Bleach 101 ARMY*)-Marshal 元帥陸軍大将 Gensui Rikugun Taishō (*****)
PROUD TO BE A CANADIAN
Best Pal: Clamato
When the going gets tough, the tough get GIANT FIGHTING ROBOTS!!!
My japanese name is 飯野 Iino (rice plains) 徹平 Koike (penetrating peace)
Hallow
Absolute Otaku

Post by Hallow »

So it's a air combat game.
I AM CANADIAN
Commander Sparx
Absolute Otaku

Post by Commander Sparx »

Oh my word! I'm in love with this game, and i'm so good at playing it too (I mean taking out the bogies, then I get stuck on trying to put out the deadly gas -_-;). It’s so realistic and cool. But i haven't seen the 6th one yet i play the 5th one.
Commander Sparx from Planet Delta First commando of the Central base, Long live the Sliver Blades!
Sanger Zomvolt
Absolute Otaku

Post by Sanger Zomvolt »

Realistic isn't a word I'd use to describe Ace Combat, considering you are usually tackling absurd objectives (like in Ace Combat 3 when you are shooting down enemy sattelites. in space), and you are given approximately 40-100 missiles and an unlimited amount of vulcan ammo.
Lestat69_99
Absolute Otaku

Post by Lestat69_99 »

Oh beleive me I'm can't wait.... I still play Shattered Skies alot myself. That brings back memories like the on night I was on duty and I had the PS2 hooked up to the ready room TV... The officer of the day was one of our pilots and he had showen up and watched me play. Gave me a bit of a hard time because I was using the SU-27 instead of the F/A-18....
"Well, look who's back...Show him why we call it "SPLATTERHOUSE'."
Terror Mask
Hallow
Absolute Otaku

Post by Hallow »

Sanger Zomvolt wrote:Realistic isn't a word I'd use to describe Ace Combat, considering you are usually tackling absurd objectives (like in Ace Combat 3 when you are shooting down enemy sattelites. in space), and you are given approximately 40-100 missiles and an unlimited amount of vulcan ammo.
So they were using real life jets in space to destroy satellites? Odd.
I AM CANADIAN
Commander Sparx
Absolute Otaku

Sanger Zomvolt wrote:Realistic isn't a word I'd use to describe Ace Combat, considering you are usually tackling absurd objectives (like in Ace Combat 3 when you are shooting down enemy sattelites. in space), and you are given approximately 40-100 missiles and an unlimited amount of vulcan ammo.
I didn't think of that :roll:
But it's cool that you have about 80 missiles, it's better then just 6 what a real jet would hold.

There are some very cool jets though, like the F-14 Tomcat, F-18 Hornet and the MiG 29.

I have always liked planes, thats why i want to be a pilot.
Commander Sparx from Planet Delta First commando of the Central base, Long live the Sliver Blades!
Sanger Zomvolt
Absolute Otaku

Post by Sanger Zomvolt »

Omega wrote:
So they were using real life jets in space to destroy satellites? Odd.
To be fair, that mission did use a spacecraft of sorts. Considering it was armed with a laser, I doubt it was a real fighter. But for the most part, the vehicles in Ace Combat are all real.

And personally, I'd rather have 6 missiles. Makes it a bit more realistic and challenging.
Katsuyo
Absolute Otaku

Post by Katsuyo »

Oh does it matter if its not realistic its Still awesoem plus its a whole another wolrd so things are different
(*Bleach 101 ARMY*)-Marshal 元帥陸軍大将 Gensui Rikugun Taishō (*****)
PROUD TO BE A CANADIAN
Best Pal: Clamato
When the going gets tough, the tough get GIANT FIGHTING ROBOTS!!!
My japanese name is 飯野 Iino (rice plains) 徹平 Koike (penetrating peace)
Hallow
Absolute Otaku

Post by Hallow »

Alteisen Revolver wrote:Oh does it matter if its not realistic its Still awesoem plus its a whole another wolrd so things are different
I agree. What would you rather play: a hyper realistic game that is so real it's boring, or a highly unrealistic game that is fun?

Anyway, in some cases, game developers need to add an unrealistic touch to make the game funner.

Example: Oblivion. You can eat in Oblivion, but you don't have to. Besides, if they made it realistic in the way that you had to eat or you would die, it wouldn't be any fun, as the game day is much faster than a real day.

Example 2: Oblivion. In Oblivion, if you kill a monster 4 times your size and it was wearing armour, you can then loot that armour from its body after you kill it and wear it. In real life you would not be able to wear it because it would be 5x bigger than you.

Long story short, game dev's like to add realism to their games, but they lean closer towards the side of practicality and fun more than realism. Because, like you said, real jets can carry about 6 missiles, but in Ace Combat they have around 80. This 80 missile thing was done so you don't run out of missiles super fast and get annoyed when you reach a part that needs missiles.
I AM CANADIAN
Commander Sparx
Absolute Otaku

Yeah, realistic or not, it's a cool game :pirate: