PS3 HDDs: Do they still sell the 60gig?

Discussions about anything videogame-related.
Zabo
Mobile Suit Otaku

PS3 HDDs: Do they still sell the 60gig?

Post by Zabo »

I have a little mundane question that googling seems to have not solved to my satisfaction: Does Sony still sell/manufacture the 60gig HDD model of the PS3, or have they abandoned both 20 and 60gigs in favor of the 40gig which can't play PS2 games, and the 80gig model?

I ask this because I may be looking into buying one and wonder if it's at all worth the money.
Rickster
Master Otaku

Re: PS3 HDDs: Do they still sell the 60gig?

Post by Rickster »

Sony no longer makes or distributes the 60gb PS3. I managed to find one at Kmart about three weeks before Christmas. You may still be able to find one at a retail store but it won't be easy. If you can't find one go with the 80gb. It's the same price as the 60 and can play most PS2 games. The difference is the 80 uses emulators to play the games and Sony doesn't have emulators for every PS2 and PS1 game out yet. As they release more you would be able to download them via LAN or WiFi connection. Hope this helps
Zabo
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by Zabo »

Well that's kind of depressing. I guess I'll just stick with my slimline and purchase the cheaper 40gig as I'm finding that the 256MB Drive on my Wii is plenty for my purposes. If I did want to expand on the HD in the future; could an External Drive be used off the shelf, or are there some OS compatibility issues?
Rickster
Master Otaku

Post by Rickster »

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this :|
As far as I know an external HDD will work fine as long as it's usb. However you may want to consider the 80gb as the 40 only has 2 usb ports, the 80 has 4, and the 40 does not have any expansion slots for sd cards. Also 40 does not have WiFi, which may not be an issue for you. Remember that everything is stored on the PS3 HDD. That includes hardware updates, game updates, and any PS1 or PS2 game saves you may have. One more thing. If you have a flash drive, you can move files from the PS3 and store them on any PC, which I find helpful.