Resident Evil 5 Racism?

Discussions about anything videogame-related.
Dretlin

Resident Evil 5 Racism?

Post by Dretlin »

The following blog was posted on the website "Black Looks"

"The new Resident Evil video game depicts a white man in what appears to be Africa killing Black people. The Black people are supposed to be zombies and the white man’s job is to destroy them and save humanity. “I have a job to do and I’m gonna see it through.”

This is problematic on so many levels, including the depiction of Black people as inhuman savages, the killing of Black people by a white man in military clothing, and the fact that this video game is marketed to children and young adults. Start them young… fearing, hating, and destroying Black people."

While this blog is quite old and I am sure some of you have seen it before. However what are your feelings on that matter?

Lestat69_99
Absolute Otaku

Re: Resident Evil 5 Racism?

Post by Lestat69_99 »

It's one big steaming pile of Bull****...... It's based in Africa....What do they expect people to shoot Zombie Polar Bears?
"Well, look who's back...Show him why we call it "SPLATTERHOUSE'."
Terror Mask

Snowy
Full Metal Otaku

Post by Snowy »

I did some research on the question and found this video really helpful

http://blog.capcom.com/archives/1116

Jun Takeuchi, the producer of RE5, did this interview after the comments were made about racism being a part of the game. He explains that the reason for it being in Africa was that they wanted it to show the origin of the virus... which they say came from where mankind began.

Eritrea:
http://www.vso.org.uk/Images/Eritrea-ca ... -10810.jpg
Ethiopia:
http://www.transitionsabroad.com/public ... iopia4.jpg

Its possible that they had visions of this rural area. He also says how he wanted the zombies to be faster and more insane - maybe thats what makes them appear savage.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167929

My 6 yr old nephew is really excited about this game, but just for the fact that its zombies. I found RE4 to be so obsenely gorey but yet no one complained.
I cannot save you, I cant even save myself.

The Evil Russell Crowe
Uber Otaku

Post by The Evil Russell Crowe »

Hahahahahahahhahahahaha. Remember that big chat we had in msn about this Dret?
I see a little silhouetto of a man...

Dretlin

Post by Dretlin »

The Evil Russell Crowe wrote:Hahahahahahahhahahahaha. Remember that big chat we had in msn about this Dret?
Aye I do lol I felt like making it a wider discussion. It is awful isnt it?

That blog is more racist then anything it is trying to bash.

Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

MY OPINION:

Resident Evil games are about killing zombies.....If the person is watching to see what color the zombies are THEY are trying to make it racist.

let me ask you this...

EXAMPLE: if RE5 was a black guy killing white zombies would anyone throw a fit? Or if it was killing Asian zombies would anyone throw a fit? Of course not because white and asian people weren't enslaved. In my opinion people are still stuck on the slavery that happened 200+ years ago, you cant hold that against this generation.......Yes slavery was bad but not everything bad that happens to a black person is racism.

IF the game was killing LIVING people then I'd say, yea it's wrong. But these are zombies and it doesn't matter what color you are when your the walking dead.....When I'm shooting something in a game I could care less what color it is......actually bright neon colors are pretty cool
(*Bleach 101 ARMY*) - General 陸軍大将 Rikugun Taishō (****)
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.

Amray
Uber Otaku

Post by Amray »

This is a question I have seen so many, many times..

No, Resident Evil 5 is not racist at all! All the other Resident Evil games consisted of slaughtering caucasians, other Europeans, and such, so why not Africa now too? If the story is set in African then ofcourse the player will be shooting African citizens, just like in the previous ones in American we were shooting American zombies. Who cares? It was so obvious that people would complain about this..it's pathetic!
Hm Hm Hm Ha Ha Ha HA HA HAAA

Pink Supervisor|EL
Absolute Otaku

Post by Pink Supervisor|EL »

now people care about african's now that it's on international shelves :roll:

amray said it perfect, not much can add there
Assassin of the Black Knights
Naru-chan's hubby50 YEN FEE TO CALL ME PINK
PINOY PRIDE ^_^
I'm in Dispair! (insert random social problem here) has left me in dispair!

Cloud Leonhart
Absolute Mega-Insane Otaku

Post by Cloud Leonhart »

Wasn't there a RE game where you went around killing a bunch of Mexicans or something?

The Evil Russell Crowe
Uber Otaku

In 4 you were fighing possessed Spainards.

Dretlin

Post by Dretlin »

I think we can put this entire issue down to one "journalist" looking to be racist, cause controversy and of course receive attention.

Which she has done - mostly negative - all is right with the world because racists, like the author of the article, have been shot down completely.

The Evil Russell Crowe
Uber Otaku

:)

Ethereal Blaze
Absolute Otaku

Post by Ethereal Blaze »

Every video game in history that involves killing is percieved (or can be) as racist.

Hitman: Caucasian man assassinating Asain, Muslim, Japanese, French, American, Cuban, Chinese etc etc

Grand Theft Auto: Caucasian, Black, Hispanic, Eastern European, Italian American, etc

I tend to ignore people when they start crying Racism in video games. I'll only listen to justified arguments.
Hate cheats?
Love competition?
Son's of Snakes.
See you on the battlefield...

Chrono Paladin
Absolute Otaku

Post by Chrono Paladin »

:roll:

As a black guy who knows what's on Capcom's minds, I honestly don't find the game racist. People who think that this game promotes afrophobia need to get over it. Just because Chris Reinfield (who is a white) For a game to be racist, it has to be made by a white man and the goal of the game would be to eliminate blacks for not being white. And RE5 ain't about that. Resident Evil 4 had you (playing as American citizen Leon Kennedy) in Spain killing "zombified" Spaniards and No one of Spanish decent ever complained about that setting. You're not really killing zombies because of their ethnicity. You're only killing them because they wanna kill you (most likely eat your brains) and you have to make it through the whole game without dying. I'm so tired of people saying **** like "Oh this game is racist! It should be banned!" Plus, the people who do RE4 and RE5 are not even racist for they are Asians. But hopefully Jack Thompson won't claim that the game "supports white supremacy" because IT DON'T!

Also, that woman from the trailer who joins sides with you in the game is black so people who say it's racist should know that so they'll stop it with their inaccurate claims like "It's racist".
R.I.P. Steven Irwin, V-Tech, Heath Ledger, George Carlin, Bernie Mac, Isaac Hayes, Michael Jackson, Billy Mays, Taco Bell dog, Brittany Murphy, Garry Coleman, Ronnie James Dio and Toonami (although at least it reincarnated as Toonzai!)
Ignited
Help Haiti!

Seiji Sawamura
Absolute Otaku

Post by Seiji Sawamura »

the question is why should they care if it is racist or not. when resident and evil 4 came out. you were shooting hispanics. we didn't care at all long as we like the games. next to that capcom was send to court so i heard and they won. Apperently one thing is for sure it's no racist. Why? Look at the trailers. How can you say that a black women shoot black people is racist? I mean. The lady kicks ass XD
"Yet, the Arcana is the means by which all is revealed...
Beyond the beaten path lies the absolute end.
It matters not who you are...Death awaits you."

+ тнє ѕαιηт +
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by + тнє ѕαιηт + »

Lestat69_99 wrote:It's one big steaming pile of Bull****...... It's based in Africa....What do they expect people to shoot Zombie Polar Bears?
Zombie polar bears eh? sound Genius!!!!
High wire escape artist