What would you rather do

Topics about anything not related to the other forums.
Tailtiu
Mobile Suit Otaku
Location: A dorm room usually; occasionally (read- when I have classes) the Nursing Bldg

What would you rather do

Post by Tailtiu »

Totally serious question here, hence why it's not in the game made for would you rathers.

Anyway. Today in my fundamentals of nursing class, we talked about would care. It's super important, esp. in preventing bedsores (but that's a whole 'nother topic). The bedsores and other non-healing wounds that a patient can have are classified by a number, 1-4. 3 and 4 are the absolute worst that one can have, and usually require surgical intervention for the inevitable necrotic, or dead, tissue. There's been a push to use maggots, which are at least 1/10 of the cost of a surgeon and relatively painless. They're better over all for the patient and do a much better job, but they are though, sterilized little buggies and usually used as a last resort.

This brings me to my question: would you rather have a limb/hand/food amputated or have maggots used to help the wound heal?
<3 life
SASSZAIN

Re: What would you rather do

Post by SASSZAIN »

Depends what limb for me. If its my hands, I sorta need those for my work. So, I think i'd like to wear my maggot suit for that. If its my legs, I dunno. I really wouldnt mind having maggots if i got to keep my legs.

The way i figure it, Wear a maggot suite for a few months/years/decades Keep your legs. Lose your legs, Never have them ever again.

math says to wear maggot suite XD

as for this being in the games section, you'd have to be madder than a hatter to think this is a topic for a game lolz
"You dont have to be alive to make yourself relevant.And you dont have to be a good person to be a hero.You just have to know who you are and stay true to that.So Im going to keep fighting for people the only way I ever knew how"-Vriska Serket
Athos

Post by Athos »

Let's see....According to an article from Atlantic Monthly, "Medicare pays a surgeon between $740 and
$1,140 for a leg amputation. This payment also includes the evaluation of the patient on the day of the operation plus patient follow-up care that is provided for 90 days after the operation. Private insurers pay some variation of the Medicare reimbursement for this service."

So paying about $114 (assuming you pay $1,140) to help the wound heal via maggots versus getting it rid of completely so you can still appear normal in society. I'd go with maggots. At least there may be a chance for the would to heal. It'd be gross, but I think better in the long run.
Member of the ModSquad 8)
Dretlin

Post by Dretlin »

I would get a second opinion.
Tailtiu
Mobile Suit Otaku
Location: A dorm room usually; occasionally (read- when I have classes) the Nursing Bldg

Post by Tailtiu »

Sass, the maggots go on, 24-48 hours later they're gone.

Athos- I'm not sure completely on the numbers/procidure, but maggot therapy is roughly $100 for the initial visit to the doctor to have them put on and then one follow up to get them taken out and have your wound checked. You'd still have doctor visits to deal with because of the gaping hole in your arm, heel, elbow, stomach, tailbone, ect but you wouldn't have any more dead tissue and the healing time would be vastly improved.
<3 life
SASSZAIN

Post by SASSZAIN »

if its that fast, then i'd go with a maggot suit no matter what.

Love dret's response though XD
"You dont have to be alive to make yourself relevant.And you dont have to be a good person to be a hero.You just have to know who you are and stay true to that.So Im going to keep fighting for people the only way I ever knew how"-Vriska Serket
Mai

Post by Mai »

i would not devote any of my extremities for the follies of medical research xD

maybe if you gave me morphine drip-iv and some stellar opiates i wouldnt care much. :-k
I felt like a race horse in a world without racetracks or a champion college footballer suddenly confronted by Wall Street and a business suit, his days of glory shrunk to a little gold cup on his mantel with a date engraved on it like a tombstone.
Tailtiu
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by Tailtiu »

*gathers her injecting supplies* Any preferences where? XD
<3 life
Athos

Post by Athos »

Tailtiu wrote:Sass, the maggots go on, 24-48 hours later they're gone.

Athos- I'm not sure completely on the numbers/procidure, but maggot therapy is roughly $100 for the initial visit to the doctor to have them put on and then one follow up to get them taken out and have your wound checked. You'd still have doctor visits to deal with because of the gaping hole in your arm, heel, elbow, stomach, tailbone, ect but you wouldn't have any more dead tissue and the healing time would be vastly improved.
Well, I still say maggots
Member of the ModSquad 8)
Gaming Goddess
Absolute Otaku

Post by Gaming Goddess »

Maggots, fosho.

Then I could start a black metal band too. YEAH
An ordinary girl, an ordinary waist; but ordinary's just not good enough today.
Who needs imagination when you have a television?
Half of the Dream Team. Sup Mike? :wink: Part of the Sexy Trio =P~
BIKI! =3
Mai

Post by Mai »

Tailtiu wrote:*gathers her injecting supplies* Any preferences where? XD
Ive got some pretty traumatic veins. :|
Be nice and use a baby catheter.
I felt like a race horse in a world without racetracks or a champion college footballer suddenly confronted by Wall Street and a business suit, his days of glory shrunk to a little gold cup on his mantel with a date engraved on it like a tombstone.
Haoie
Full Metal Otaku

Post by Haoie »

It doesn't sound that disgusting.

Bring on the bugs.
"Turn on your shine and hold me near"
divinephoenix
Absolute Otaku

Post by divinephoenix »

I'd rather do the maggot thing

It's sad to have a death certificate when you're still pretty much alive and besides, using maggots as a form of treatment is already an alternative to usual sources of treatment rather than operations and meds. You should here about the treatment when leeches are supposed to suck on your blood XD (Maggots are way better than leeches)
Please check out my Mod App
See my Drawings ^_^
Hallow Ichigo is my Master and I am his genie ^^
Hardcore
Absolute Otaku

Post by Hardcore »

I'd want to be out of it, like completely [censored] up if using maggots. I hate them. They're so gross..

But I'd prefer them, oddly.
Decisions to decisions are made and not bought, but I thought this wouldn't hurt a lot. I guess not.
fleurish
Absolute Otaku

Post by fleurish »

+:D.Ř.Ę.Ŧ.Ļ.Ĭ .N:+ wrote:I would get a second opinion.
thisthisthis
Hi, I'm Serena
and I used to love this place
MARS4
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by MARS4 »

I'd do it, even though I'd HATE it.
I'm a little bit scarred for life(if that makes any sense), 'cause one time as I was eating at home with my parents, I had a maggot hanging from a web or SOMETHING from my food. It took me a while to eat again after that. And I work at a convenience store that sell souveniers, tackle, and minnows(bait) for fishing. Well, we sell wax worms(aka: maggots). And yeah... I have to scoop them, count them and put them into individual containers so fishermen can buy them for bait. x_x Actually, I have fun with them sometimes. I tease my boss's friends and tell them I had a few for lunch and they taste the best on a salad. Hehe. :3
<3..*~Team Jacob or Team Edward. Seriously? I don't even have to think about it... I'm Team Damon. :] *~..<3
I'm a Bohunk, and I survive Minnesota winters. so don't fudge with me! =D
Thank you, and have a wonderful day.