Something I cooked up

Show off your fan fiction, poetry, or links to your fan art.
Pennyroyal Tea

Something I cooked up

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

I just randomly wrote this because I felt like it. It's not really anything. Just a break from the super long story I'm writing. It's a short story and it's blegh

Kris has no idea how long he had been in the room, or even how he got there, but he knew he wasn't in any hurry to leave as he surveyed his surroundings. The room was lightly decorated, but it had several chairs, each of them the same color, all linked together and attached to the wall. If Kris didn't know better, he would've thought that he was in some sort of doctors’ office. It had all the trademarks, a bunch of old magazines, worn children's books. Was he in some sort of hospital? Kris examined himself. Sure he wasn’t in the best of shape; he had always been shorter and leaner than everyone else, especially in his family. His mother and father were both over six feet tall, and his brother, who is three years his junior towered over him. It was because of this that everyone affectionately nicknamed him runt. It didn’t bother him all the years it followed him through elementary school and junior high. Ever the optimistic youth, Kris didn’t take notice of such differences. Of course he wasn’t completely ignorant of such differences, he never realized they mattered. Maybe as a result of the fact that his small town wasn’t carved out of whatever the rest of the world was made out of. Everyone knew each other, everyone’s parents had a great relationship with each other, and if something happened, everyone suddenly knew about it. News travelled faster than wildfire, which basically forced the younger generation to get along with each other or face drastic consequences. Also, Kris knew very little of the world outside of his small town, the roads were narrow and windy going to and coming out of the rarely had any outside travelers. However, that all changed once he went to high school in the big city. Once not so innocent subjects such as girls and popularity Kris found himself at a loss, suddenly he was an outcast, picked on and branded a theme. His thoughts drifted back to the way things used to be, times of innocence and great fun, of haunted hay rides and Easter egg hunts. These thoughts always drifted through his head accompanied by little pangs in his heart. At first they were minor, but as time went on they became sharper, and lasted longer and almost became unbearable.
But that neither here nor there, and Kris was starting to worry, how long had he been in this room? Kris’s thoughts again began to drift, but this time to his parents. He wondered if they missed him. If they were worrying about where he was, then a darker thought floated beneath his skull. Why would they miss me if they have Reggie? Reggie, his perfect taller younger brother gifted with enough athletic ability to carry him through college and beyond. He would probably make millions of dollars pursuing whatever sport he wanted to play professionally and would take care of the family. Kris felt another pang in his heart. Kris wasn’t without his talents of course, his just weren’t as loud or attention grabbing as his brothers. Even though he was incredibly smart and got good grades in school receiving numerous academic awards, he hadn’t made anything of himself. But he felt like a ghost, unable to put much of himself into anything he accomplished, and because of this he wasn’t proud of anything he’d done. So he felt like a ghost, invisible, unable to affect his surroundings an invalid.
Kris stands up, then quickly fell back down to his seat. It had been awhile since he stood on his feet, and his legs were wobbly from misuse.
“Haha. I could have told you that that wasn’t such a good idea”
Kris turned around and noticed the elderly black gentleman for the first time. He smiled warmly and showed his missing teeth his hair was salt and peppered with age, and he wore a weathered burgundy beret on the top of his head. He held a black cane in his long crooked fingers.
“Nobody does much walking here boy. They know it wouldn’t do them much good. There’s only two places to go, and once you leave there’s no turning back.” He said.
“Where I am I?” Asked Kris hesitantly, he wasn’t sure if he really wanted to know the answer.
“You’re at one of the last places most people ever see.” He said.
His guess had been right, he was at some sort of hospital, but how did he get there? Kris spoke the last half of his thoughts out loud.
“Why are you here? Because you need to be, of course you only need to be here as long as you want to be.” He then gestured over towards two doors. He pointed to the door in the back, that’s the way you came. Outside Kris could see through the glass that the door led to a hallway, but his eyes couldn’t pierce the darkness. He then thumbed towards another door. “Go through that door, and well, I can’t really tell you what it leads to, it’s different for all of us. Some of us get sent right back into this room, others don’t make it back at all.”
“So what is this really about?” Kris asked.
“You’re asking the wrong person, but if I ever find out, I’ll be sure to tell you.” He answered.
All along Kris had been moving his legs, trying to build back up strength. “Alright then, I’ll leave. He stood up to go, but the old man blocked the path with his cane. “I’m sorry son but I can’t let you do that. You’re not ready yet” He said.
“And why the hell not? I’ve already made my decision, I decided that I don’t want to go back yet, not for awhile anyway. My parents won’t miss me for awhile anyway, they’ll be too busy with my brother. I can always go back when I feel like it. Kris looked towards the other door. It’s inviting warm glow, the mysterious humming coming from behind it. Plus it looks like it might be fun, you say I can never come back to this place, I may as well enjoy everything it has to offer before I leave forever” He said.
“It doesn’t work like that, once you walk through that door, the only thing we’ll know is that you’ll never be able to go back to the place you came from” He said.
“And just why not?” I asked.
“It just isn’t the way it works. There will be no place for you. Alright, fine, I don’t care, I still want to leave, you don’t understand half the crap I had to deal with.” Intoxicated by the hum of the machinery behind the mysterious door, Kris found his thoughts drifting towards it. He pictured himself in some sort of meadow, relaxed away from all his worries. Then he looked towards the other door. As he looked towards the other door, he pictured the daily grind that he so feared. Bullies, sexual frustrations, pressures to get good grades, jealousy, violence, frustrations, all of this he could live without.
“I know what you‘re thinking, but it’s not your time yet. You know which door you should really choose. There’s no guarantee that it’s going to be what you think it is.” The old man said
“I don’t care, I know what I dealt with before, and it couldn’t be worse than that.” Kris said, his small body began to drift towards the mysterious door. Kris was so taken in by the door’s aura that he didn’t even notice that his feet weren’t touching the ground.” I’m going to do it.
But before he could drift another second, he felt a painful slap that brought him back to reality.
“Focus boy you want your mind clear when you make this decision, this doesn’t impact only you.”
Kris stared into the old man’s time, both by his manner of speak, and dress, it was easy to tell that this old man was a relic of a different time. He looked like a character based in the fifties, dressed in tan trousers, and a crisp white shirt. His shoes sparkled black, and you could tell that they weren’t very comfortable.
“Just who do you think you are slapping me? It’s my life, I get to choose what I do, and I’m old enough to make my own decisions.” Kris said angrily
“You’re old enough to make decisions, but no decision you make is ever your own. The people who love you suffer through every torture you put yourself to. When you’re loved by someone there is no “you” you become more than what your body holds. You’re a ‘we”. You hurt the people you claim to love, and you don’t help them out by deciding things for them. You don’t save people from yourself; you can only save you from yourself. Days are tough, but you have nobody to blame, you have to keep working boy.” He said.
“I hate everything, I realize how pointless it all is, what does it matter what I do? Nobody needs me anymore, they have other crap to busy their lives with, they will forget about me, and I will be happy when I get behind that door. We will all win. “
“Nobody chooses the age that they’re born in, nobody chooses how good the times are, but the single thing that defines the people who define their age is that they dared to dream. They didn’t like their lives, which is why they created things to make life better. You are a beneficiary of all that, of their freedom they fought so hard for, of the diseases that they spent so many years looking for a cure, of the quality of life they wanted to improve. However their work isn’t done yet, it is up to young boys like you to carry the load that they left us, if anything we’re left with more possibilities, and greater difficulties than they faced, you can make your own adventure, you just have to stop making excuses and start exploring. As for the people who don’t care look at that screen.” He said as he pointed up.
It was something that Kris had ignored until now, the tv screen, only it wasn’t showing any station that he was aware of, it flashed through millions of images per second, but for some reason Kris was able to comprehend it all; Because it was going through all the tender moments of his life.
“So what, things were good, but they passed.” He started but stopped suddenly as he recognized the next pair of faces staring back at him. They were his parents, and they were the saddest he had ever seen them. In fact, he struggled to recall a time where he’s ever seen them sad. Sure he’s seen their angry side a few times, but overall, they were probably the happiest people he ever known. Rarely were they caught without a smile on their face. Why were they crying? Was it because he wasn’t there?
“They’ll get over it.” He began, but again stopped suddenly as the television flashed through the remainders of their lives, they were bitter people now, angry towards each other, always blaming themselves and everyone else around them. They divorced, neither had one more happy moment. His brother kept screaming something, but Kris couldn’t hear him, it was as if everything went mute.
“Don’t think you know as much about things as you do boy. You may be surprised what you find if you were to ever open your eyes. Sure things are hard now, but the fact that you had good times should show you that it’s possible for you to be happy, sure it’s hard, and I’m willing to bet you don’t know where find happiness. The good news is you have the rest of your life to search for it. But you have to be willing to look for it. You don’t find anything you don’t look for, and I’m willing to be you have many people to support you throughout your life, and even more watching over you sending you their blessings. It won’t be easy, but you’re the only person who could help your parents avoid such a fate.”
Kris’s face grew wet with tears, he never meant for anyone else to suffer, he loved his parents, and even though he was incredibly jealous, his parents really didn’t do him any harm.
“Alright I’m going back, but first tell me who you are; I don’t want to forget you.” Kris said
“I’m someone you’ve already forgotten from long ago, but don’t worry I forgive you, after all you were really little at the time. Well even littler than you are now. Now git going before it’s too late.” He said.
“I’m serious, I know we’ll never meet again, and this is probably just a dream, but I don’t want to ever forget who you. You helped me immensely with your kind words.
“I already told you, you know who I am” He said with a smile and a wink, now go, they’re waiting for you, any longer and they’re going to have a heart attack he said as he pushed Kris through the door.
The next thing that Kris felt was a tugging sensation, as he was pulled back into consciousness. He looked up and saw his parents’ faces staring back at him.
“You wouldn’t believe I had the strangest dream” He said smiling weakly it was then that he noticed the tears in both of their eyes, and the broken rope loosely tied around his neck.
“You weren’t dreaming, you were dead.
Yeah, you were right about me, but can I get myself out from underneath this guilt that will crush me? in the choir, I saw our sad Messiah he was bored and tired of my laments
He said, "I died for you one time, but never again"
LeoXiao
Newbie Otaku

Re: Something I cooked up

Post by LeoXiao »

Good story. I had to re-read some parts (it's a little difficult to stay on track), but the idea is good and fairly concise. Some of the dialogue seems kinda awkward, but it doesn't ruin anything. I like the ending line for some reason.
Grell
Absolute Otaku

Post by Grell »

:oops: I'm glad Kris had a happy ending, if its okay that I call it that.

Btw, I apologized to my friends, so we're all good again.
Please, I am but a smol potate.

Past Names you'll know its me by: Demyx, Dreaming Awake, Lord Koryu
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

Yeah I realized it as I reread it later, but didn't really feel like editing it. Like I said, I just typed it as it came to me without much thought going into it at all. Which is why there's a lot of mental errors and messy dialogue. It was basically just a quick one-shot to take a break from writing my story.

And it wasn't an ending, just a new beginning.
Yeah, you were right about me, but can I get myself out from underneath this guilt that will crush me? in the choir, I saw our sad Messiah he was bored and tired of my laments
He said, "I died for you one time, but never again"
Grell
Absolute Otaku

Post by Grell »

True. People don't realize how good it is to have those, to have a chance to keep going.
Please, I am but a smol potate.

Past Names you'll know its me by: Demyx, Dreaming Awake, Lord Koryu