Discussions about anything movie or television-related
Pennyroyal Tea

Re: Avatar

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

SASSZAIN wrote:if you're dense

If it was as good as people say it was it would've won the oscar, in a relatively weak field. But allow me to dissect it farther.

You see, twilight is all about looks, it's like a Lamborghini fast, sexy looking but it gets like 12 miles to the gallon. The same is said about Avatar. It's entertaining as everything just looks gorgeous, but when it comes to the story, it's recycled. There are at least four woefully similar movies/cartoons that I can name right off the bat that came before it that avatar seemed to have emulated. Even if it didn't, it was still pretty unoriginal and shallow. And this isn't just me, this is the general opinion of a lot of critics. Physically it's gorgeous, emotionally it's touching, intellectually it's pretty shallow.
Yeah, you were right about me, but can I get myself out from underneath this guilt that will crush me? in the choir, I saw our sad Messiah he was bored and tired of my laments
He said, "I died for you one time, but never again"
Kitty
Uber Otaku

Post by Kitty »

Pennyroyal Tea wrote:
SASSZAIN wrote:if you're dense

If it was as good as people say it was it would've won the oscar, in a relatively weak field. But allow me to dissect it farther.

You see, twilight is all about looks, it's like a Lamborghini fast, sexy looking but it gets like 12 miles to the gallon. The same is said about Avatar. It's entertaining as everything just looks gorgeous, but when it comes to the story, it's recycled. There are at least four woefully similar movies/cartoons that I can name right off the bat that came before it that avatar seemed to have emulated. Even if it didn't, it was still pretty unoriginal and shallow. And this isn't just me, this is the general opinion of a lot of critics. Physically it's gorgeous, emotionally it's touching, intellectually it's pretty shallow.
What movies/cartoons are similar to avatar? Just wondering because I don't know any movies or cartoons that are similar to it but then again there are a lot of movies I haven't seen and the same with cartoons. And critics sometimes suck at rating movies.
キティ

x Move On, It's just a chapter in the past. But don't close the book, just turn the page x
Mik3

Post by Mik3 »

^
Dances with Wolves, Ferngully for sure. The Last Samurai to some extent.

The Protagonist arrives with their party to a foreign land, usually with intent to exploit or harm either the natives themselves, the environment or both. They meet a female love interest who shows them the beauty and culture of said habitat and inhabitants, which makes the protagonist admire and appreciate it. Then they change sides and fight off whoever they originally came to work for.

All those themes and plot devices are recycled, and the only thing that makes Avatar stand apart is the fact of it being a feast for the eyes. But the plot is nothing new.
I remembered my password.
Kitty
Uber Otaku

Post by Kitty »

Yeah.. I haven't seen either of those movies but I know what you mean on how they are alike. But a lot of movies are being recycled or there are sequels nowadays since directors can't come up with anything new.
キティ

x Move On, It's just a chapter in the past. But don't close the book, just turn the page x
Dragon X
Absolute Otaku

Post by Dragon X »

i actually liked the movie.
I am a dragon that cannot be tamed!Great freinds josh Snc SSJ Gogeta an AA pixies. josh Alfonso Soriano is my cousin. i dont care what ppl say.you don't like me fine
Kitty
Uber Otaku

Post by Kitty »

Dragon X wrote:i actually liked the movie.
I loved the movie. I bought the DVD. Most of the new movies that they are recycling now are actually great movies.
キティ

Dragon X
Absolute Otaku

Post by Dragon X »

Kitty wrote:
Dragon X wrote:i actually liked the movie.
I loved the movie. I bought the DVD. Most of the new movies that they are recycling now are actually great movies.
Cool
I am a dragon that cannot be tamed!Great freinds josh Snc SSJ Gogeta an AA pixies. josh Alfonso Soriano is my cousin. i dont care what ppl say.you don't like me fine
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

Kitty wrote:Yeah.. I haven't seen either of those movies but I know what you mean on how they are alike. But a lot of movies are being recycled or there are sequels nowadays since directors can't come up with anything new.

Not much really, it's just I find it ironic that the people who trash Twilight eat up avatar like it's something delicious.

Artistically speaking, there is plenty wrong with recycled plots, where's the interests? Movies cost me 11 dollars where I live, and around 8 dollars where I go to school, for that sort of coin I expect something fresh. There are tons of movies that don't play off of tired themes and played out plots. Look at movies like short bus and the go getter, [censored], I can get you an entire list of movies that are actually somewhat thought provoking. Not every movie has to be Schindler's list, but for something to get so much attention, and so much credit at least let it bring something new/interesting to the table.
Yeah, you were right about me, but can I get myself out from underneath this guilt that will crush me? in the choir, I saw our sad Messiah he was bored and tired of my laments
Kitty
Uber Otaku

Post by Kitty »

Pennyroyal Tea wrote:
Kitty wrote:Yeah.. I haven't seen either of those movies but I know what you mean on how they are alike. But a lot of movies are being recycled or there are sequels nowadays since directors can't come up with anything new.

Not much really, it's just I find it ironic that the people who trash Twilight eat up avatar like it's something delicious.

Artistically speaking, there is plenty wrong with recycled plots, where's the interests? Movies cost me 11 dollars where I live, and around 8 dollars where I go to school, for that sort of coin I expect something fresh. There are tons of movies that don't play off of tired themes and played out plots. Look at movies like short bus and the go getter, [censored] I can get you an entire list of movies that are actually somewhat thought provoking. Not every movie has to be Schindler's list, but for something to get so much attention, and so much credit at least let it bring something new/interesting to the table.
I agree on the last part. But a lot of movies lately have been redone, Recycled or there are getting to be too many sequels. They are making movies from cartoons like lets see Yogi Bear and Smurfs are coming out in the theaters and The Last Airbender should be coming out on dvd in a couple of months. They are making a new Pirates of The Caribbean, Underworld, Piranha 3D, Cats and Dogs, Nanny McPhee Returns and Step up 3D, some of them are close to going into theaters but its like they have nothing better to do than make sequels or cartoons to movies.
キティ

Shining Star

Post by Shining Star »

I agree with both of you.

Oh and also book movies! If I see another one of those..I'm going to die! They ALWAYS ruin the book!!!
God is love. Because the love that He provides us with is the greatest love of all. And it is because of Him that we are able to love others, since He loved us first.

If you want to know more just pm me. :) He loves you despite what you might think.
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

Kitty wrote:
Pennyroyal Tea wrote:

Artistically speaking, there is plenty wrong with recycled plots, where's the interests? Movies cost me 11 dollars where I live, and around 8 dollars where I go to school, for that sort of coin I expect something fresh. There are tons of movies that don't play off of tired themes and played out plots. Look at movies like short bus and the go getter, [censored] I can get you an entire list of movies that are actually somewhat thought provoking. Not every movie has to be Schindler's list, but for something to get so much attention, and so much credit at least let it bring something new/interesting to the table.
I agree on the last part. But a lot of movies lately have been redone, Recycled or there are getting to be too many sequels. They are making movies from cartoons like lets see Yogi Bear and Smurfs are coming out in the theaters and The Last Airbender should be coming out on dvd in a couple of months. They are making a new Pirates of The Caribbean, Underworld, Piranha 3D, Cats and Dogs, Nanny McPhee Returns and Step up 3D, some of them are close to going into theaters but its like they have nothing better to do than make sequels or cartoons to movies.

No. They're completely different things. Taking something and changing the format to be something else is still original even if it uses characters and storylines from a book or cartoon. Because the screenplay is still a book. It's an adaptation.

But when you take something not supposedly adapted from a novel, like Avatar then you kinda want some originality with the script, or at least have some sort of fresh take on the idea, not the same self fulfilling fantasy that always occurs. It wasn't even the best movie with the same idea. :/
Kitty
Uber Otaku

Post by Kitty »

Shining Star wrote:I agree with both of you.

Oh and also book movies! If I see another one of those..I'm going to die! They ALWAYS ruin the book!!!

Yeah I know! Twilight was ruined, Harry Potter was pretty much ruined. I mean Twilight was good but it kinda sucked and Harry Potter they took out most of the important stuff.

Pennyroyal Tea wrote:
Kitty wrote:
Pennyroyal Tea wrote:

No. They're completely different things. Taking something and changing the format to be something else is still original even if it uses characters and storylines from a book or cartoon. Because the screenplay is still a book. It's an adaptation.

But when you take something not supposedly adapted from a novel, like Avatar then you kinda want some originality with the script, or at least have some sort of fresh take on the idea, not the same self fulfilling fantasy that always occurs. It wasn't even the best movie with the same idea. :/

I get what you mean. But some of the adaptations suck. Like with the saw movies, I mean yeah there is a good story line in it but its the same thing over and over torture and death and trying to get out.
キティ

Gaming Goddess
Absolute Otaku

Post by Gaming Goddess »

You know what was original, visually appealing, and thought provoking that didn't get enough attention?

District 9.

You haven't seen it? You don't like it?
[censored] you.
An ordinary girl, an ordinary waist; but ordinary's just not good enough today.
Who needs imagination when you have a television?
Half of the Dream Team. Sup Mike? :wink: Part of the Sexy Trio =P~
BIKI! =3
Kitty
Uber Otaku

Post by Kitty »

Gaming Goddess wrote:You know what was original, visually appealing, and thought provoking that didn't get enough attention?

District 9.

You haven't seen it? You don't like it?
[censored] you.
I haven't seen it but there is a lot of good movies I have not seen. I'll look into it though.
キティ

SASSZAIN

Post by SASSZAIN »

District 9 was awesome.
It was a disappointment only because they did that ghay camera thing. Never did like that camera thing.
I'm looking forward to the sequel I heard about.
"You dont have to be alive to make yourself relevant.And you dont have to be a good person to be a hero.You just have to know who you are and stay true to that.So Im going to keep fighting for people the only way I ever knew how"-Vriska Serket
spencer12
Baka Otaku

Post by spencer12 »

I watched that movie and I am really impressed with that. It is a great movie in 3D world. I liked its sound and visual effects. I liked also its 'Pandora' concept which is very interesting. It is really amazing movie of the decade.