Have you forgotten the meaning of Music?

Discussions about anything music-related.
Dretlin

Have you forgotten the meaning of Music?

Post by Dretlin »

The Art of Sound.

Perhaps reread the first sentence - just one more time - and absorb it.

Music is not a pre-decided series of a mere 12 notes. The "What Are You Listening To" thread is dominated by a single system of notation.

Ignoring the history of just why it is 12 notes aside, do you not want to desire more? The micro-tones between the notes? Perhaps traditional Indian music which has a massive 21 note octave? Or the minimalist 6 note octave of ancient Japanese music? Atonal music? The prepared piano, that literally destroys any future a piano could have, for the sake of throwing away the rule book of harmony.

The sound of water dripping from your roof onto a solid stone? The wood of your floor board creaking and complaining under your own weight? A car screeching to an abrupt halt? - Silence?

Consider, maybe for the next one - or perhaps two - tracks you listen to, be atonal or not western in their structure, harmony or lack of any.

Rediscover that sound - is music.

Western harmony is a small fruit, in a colossal tree of rich, sweet, sour and bitter. Rediscover!

(Rant over. One might say)
Gaming Goddess
Absolute Otaku

Re: Have you forgotten the meaning of Music?

Post by Gaming Goddess »

Odd, I read this the day a friend points out that a ping-pong ball's bouncing makes music.
An ordinary girl, an ordinary waist; but ordinary's just not good enough today.
Who needs imagination when you have a television?
Half of the Dream Team. Sup Mike? :wink: Part of the Sexy Trio =P~
BIKI! =3
Mai

Post by Mai »

Reclusive thoughts are the best. Continue tangent, im intrigued.
I felt like a race horse in a world without racetracks or a champion college footballer suddenly confronted by Wall Street and a business suit, his days of glory shrunk to a little gold cup on his mantel with a date engraved on it like a tombstone.
SASSZAIN

Post by SASSZAIN »

Agreed.
All sound can be seen as music. Whatever speaks to the soul.
"You dont have to be alive to make yourself relevant.And you dont have to be a good person to be a hero.You just have to know who you are and stay true to that.So Im going to keep fighting for people the only way I ever knew how"-Vriska Serket
Dretlin

Post by Dretlin »

hey little girl wrote:Reclusive thoughts are the best. Continue tangent, im intrigued.
I require open minded input, from such people as yourself, to proceed. :-k

I would suggest music by John Cage. Or anything atonal. By that I mean music that has no Key.

"Prepared Piano", is a piano that has be modified with random bits and pieces, such as small bits of rubber and screws (or anything you can find).

That is only one example however. It could be argued this is or is not atonal. I would need to study it more in depth to come to a confident conclusion.
Mai

Post by Mai »

I have no real concise conclusion about keys vs notes (which i presume is mostly what you're referring too? Not all of us are within the musical industry)! And I DO play piano, so I am intrigued by this entire concept. I could really go on about music for decades, but I like to know what's in that pretty little head of yours, Thomas!

I just checked out John Cage (thumbs up) and i've never experienced so many random chord progressions. Stellar! I was listening to the 1-3 parts of "Twenty Three", and I quite enjoyed the entire set. It seems he's very peripatetic with the way he plays. Like he walks around actual notes and stretches them out indefinitely. Awesome. But this is all amateur thought. xD I only play piano very limited. I play guitar though, and I know saxx (all simple instruments, really). So the difference between keys and notes is easily recognizable (and well manipulated), so I understand you on that part.

When you say the time of atonal it reminds me of my most recent ex-boyfriend Jason. He was a crazy guitarist, and would manipulate his loop pedal so when you listen to the string of conscious music, you can't tell the difference when one chord ends and another begins. Which, being one who-attempts- to play myself, it seems a ridiculously difficult task. (I guess all you really need is an incredibly easily delayed pedal, but ionno haha, you tell me)!

Sound is music, yes, very much so! I fully understood that when I stumbled upon this artist called Mindweld (on myspace, here's the link: http://www.myspace.com/mindweld and definitely check out his song on there called "Orange, w/feeling". I fell in love with bashing things together and listening to the beauty of that kind of destruction). Lol, I trailed off, sorry! Another thing that really broadened my musical experience was Robert Fripp with Frippertronics. You probably know all about that, too, so I wont drone on! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhhvneRblmg I like the delay in that song though.

I feel the urge to divulge further into this entire concept and figure out the math behind the meaning. :-k
I felt like a race horse in a world without racetracks or a champion college footballer suddenly confronted by Wall Street and a business suit, his days of glory shrunk to a little gold cup on his mantel with a date engraved on it like a tombstone.
kekeo_14
Baka Otaku

Post by kekeo_14 »

music is everything. everything is music. thats what makes it so beautiful. no matter what the genre,beat,or melody is. music is music. and it will live on forever
ANIME