America the pathetic.

Mindless conversations that no sane person would care about.
Pennyroyal Tea

Re: America the pathetic.

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

Mmmm
Yeah, you were right about me, but can I get myself out from underneath this guilt that will crush me? in the choir, I saw our sad Messiah he was bored and tired of my laments
He said, "I died for you one time, but never again"
josh :)
Uber Otaku

Post by josh :) »

instead of a war on pov-er-ty they got a war on drugs so the police can both-er-me!
My Facebook Profile Add me as a friend if you want :)
Adolf
Master Otaku

Post by Adolf »

You're off-topic.
SASSZAIN

Post by SASSZAIN »

:!:
I don't hate my country. I Hate my government. My country is a beautiful place, that is being contaminated by greed and stupidity.
"You dont have to be alive to make yourself relevant.And you dont have to be a good person to be a hero.You just have to know who you are and stay true to that.So Im going to keep fighting for people the only way I ever knew how"-Vriska Serket
Dretlin

Post by Dretlin »

Mista Cola wrote:Everyone hates the country they live in. No exceptions.
Incorrect.
The Joker wrote:
Athos wrote:If you don't like it, either get out or help change it.
What a typical response.

I kinda sorta expected better from you. -3
I must pass my agreement to Athos. Do something about it Joker. From what I have learned from your behaviour, you should have an impact on other peoples lives.
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

Adolf wrote:You're off-topic.
WRONG
+:D.Ř.Ę.Ŧ.Ļ.Ĭ .N:+ wrote:
Incorrect.
The Joker wrote:
What a typical response.

I must pass my agreement to Athos. Do something about it Joker. From what I have learned from your behaviour, you should have an impact on other peoples lives.
It's not so simple. I can make a lot of noise and cause a big stink. But it takes a person of some sort of priviledge to enact great change.

I'm not assuming a defeatist attitude of course. I'm just saying the best I could do is give words to what everyone knows. The government isn't the problem. Blaming the government solves nothing. The government is nothing but the shell. People are the problem. People are the government's lifeblood. It's not up to me to do anything. It's up to everyone to do something, and until people realize the power in unity, we'll be forced into bickering.
Yeah, you were right about me, but can I get myself out from underneath this guilt that will crush me? in the choir, I saw our sad Messiah he was bored and tired of my laments
Dretlin

Post by Dretlin »

The Joker wrote:
Adolf wrote:You're off-topic.
WRONG
+:D.Ř.Ę.Ŧ.Ļ.Ĭ .N:+ wrote:
Incorrect.
The Joker wrote:
What a typical response.

It's not so simple. I can make a lot of noise and cause a big stink. But it takes a person of some sort of priviledge to enact great change.

I'm not assuming a defeatist attitude of course. I'm just saying the best I could do is give words to what everyone knows. The government isn't the problem. Blaming the government solves nothing. The government is nothing but the shell. People are the problem. People are the government's lifeblood. It's not up to me to do anything. It's up to everyone to do something, and until people realize the power in unity, we'll be forced into bickering.
Then unite, be the first to draw in others. Nothing gets done, unless you do it. I do admire your passion on the matter.
Athos

Post by Athos »

Andre, I have worked in government, and I study it. If there is one thing I have noticed, it is that people complain so much about things, but never have they done anything about it. When I disagree with a certain policy, I contact my appropriate representative. When I see they are doing a great job, I let them know. It may not be much, but it is still something rather than nothing.

There are a host of grass root organizations that you could probably join if that would make you feel better. But if you REALLY want to have an impact on the macro level of society, write a book or an editorial, or get on Oprah. On the micro level, do what I do, and discuss things in the open (i.e friend in the marketplace).
Member of the ModSquad 8)
Hardcore
Absolute Otaku

Post by Hardcore »

I like Oprah.
Decisions to decisions are made and not bought, but I thought this wouldn't hurt a lot. I guess not.
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

Athos wrote:Andre, I have worked in government, and I study it. If there is one thing I have noticed, it is that people complain so much about things, but never have they done anything about it. When I disagree with a certain policy, I contact my appropriate representative. When I see they are doing a great job, I let them know. It may not be much, but it is still something rather than nothing.

There are a host of grass root organizations that you could probably join if that would make you feel better. But if you REALLY want to have an impact on the macro level of society, write a book or an editorial, or get on Oprah. On the micro level, do what I do, and discuss things in the open (i.e friend in the marketplace).
You are not allowed to refer to me by my civilian identity on the streets!!!!Because then everyone will know what I am.

And I've dealt with reason enough to know that anyone who involved themselves in those sort of things are wasting their time unless they sell out to the right people enough to gain influence. We're American. If people wanted to make lives better for themselves they would've listened to Jimmy Carter ages ago.

Unfortunately I'm too aware of the way the world works to think that anything I do will ever compete with the corporations and religious right that sets policy nowadays.

I'm actually surprised politicians haven't started wearing Walmart and Newscorp logos on their suits.
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

You really expect me to waste my time trying to compete against the people who voted no against a cost of living minimum wage hike, yet spent over 27,000 dollars in tax payer money to give themselves a cost of living raise?

You expect me a person of no influence. A person who lives on the street to try to compete with the same people who are against raising the minimum wage and brainwash people into believing it that it puts too much pressure on small businesses yet give big corporations tax breaks like they couldn't do something simple like cut taxes and force corporations and small business owners alike to raise the minimum wage to something that someone could actually work forty hours and live off of?

Face it. The system isn't made to be fixed, it's made to be duct taped until the time it breaks again.
Athos

Post by Athos »

My post wasn't one of social welfare benefits, if that is what your latter post suggests. There are still good politicians out there who have not succumbed to corporate lust, and who actually work for the people, despite what other people say.

While I respect your opinion my post still stands. If you want change, do something about it, try to resonate with people and start a movement. If one were to only whine and complain about how the system "imposes" on us a great injustice, nothing will ever change, and the whining will only amass to nothing but spurts wasted oxygen.

As a reminder, some of us are working, out of our own pockets, to improve the society in which we live. In the grand scheme of things, it may not seem like a lot, but it does matter, and affect to those who we watch over.
Member of the ModSquad 8)
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

Athos wrote:My post wasn't one of social welfare benefits, if that is what your latter post suggests. There are still good politicians out there who have not succumbed to corporate lust, and who actually work for the people, despite what other people say.

While I respect your opinion my post still stands. If you want change, do something about it, try to resonate with people and start a movement. If one were to only whine and complain about how the system "imposes" on us a great injustice, nothing will ever change, and the whining will only amass to nothing but spurts wasted oxygen.

As a reminder, some of us are working, out of our own pockets, to improve the society in which we live. In the grand scheme of things, it may not seem like a lot, but it does matter, and affect to those who we watch over.
You can only assume that I'm not doing anything. I'm not doing much, but I'm fairly limited at least right now. Talking and creating a forum isn't the same as whining as it's not until an active discussion takes place that any goals can be set. I'm years away from actually doing anything useful to change the system because right now under the current system things aren't movable so the best thing I could do right now is not only seek enlightenment but seek to enlighten others, or bring together those who are enlightened. But in terms of carrying the world on my shoulders it's not a burden that I'm prepared for either mentally or emotionally because I haven't reached that stage yet. My opinion and influence is still much too immature and poorly developed to be effective. If the current system of changing things was effective in any way, then it would've been changed long ago. So any time spent in protest groups, if I may use language that's strong mostly for the point, is wasted. I'm not going to spend time in one of those groups, or writing to politicians just because it may justify what I say or my cause when there are more efficient ways to spend my time. I.E education.
SASSZAIN

Post by SASSZAIN »

Joker wrote:the best thing I could do right now is not only seek enlightenment but seek to enlighten others, or bring together those who are enlightened. But in terms of carrying the world on my shoulders it's not a burden that I'm prepared for either mentally or emotionally because I haven't reached that stage yet.
You're not expected to carry the world on your shoulders, not at all. No one should ever do that TBH (though the president does seem to be one of the closest places to that description..) Going out, and gathering together other bright enlightened people such as yourself is exactly what you should be doing. You don't have to write letters if you don't want to, when spreading the word to the masses through word of mouth is sufficient enough for you. Going to a local coffee shop, handing out flyers, going to a town meeting, these are just two of many many small ways you can make a difference without using the current system you seem to oppose so much..
"You dont have to be alive to make yourself relevant.And you dont have to be a good person to be a hero.You just have to know who you are and stay true to that.So Im going to keep fighting for people the only way I ever knew how"-Vriska Serket
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

SASSZAIN wrote:
Joker wrote:the best thing I could do right now is not only seek enlightenment but seek to enlighten others, or bring together those who are enlightened. But in terms of carrying the world on my shoulders it's not a burden that I'm prepared for either mentally or emotionally because I haven't reached that stage yet.
You're not expected to carry the world on your shoulders, not at all. No one should ever do that TBH (though the president does seem to be one of the closest places to that description..) Going out, and gathering together other bright enlightened people such as yourself is exactly what you should be doing. You don't have to write letters if you don't want to, when spreading the word to the masses through word of mouth is sufficient enough for you. Going to a local coffee shop, handing out flyers, going to a town meeting, these are just two of many many small ways you can make a difference without using the current system you seem to oppose so much..

The problem isn't me or other 'bright enlightened people'

People like us already know what's wrong. From what I know of history, the power isn't in us directly, but our ability to move the common man. The general populace. And as uninterested as many of them are, yes you do need to shoulder some sort of leader image. Because you become a symbol. Otherwise you're ineffective even if you do gain influence.

Look at Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. They've been discredited, and nobody pays attention to them anymore. The only reason why they're still relevant is because their organizations actually have weight. Through voting and otherwise.