Self-Pleasure a Sin?

Other adult topics. Only enter if you are of legal age to view such content.
Pennyroyal Tea

Re: Self-Pleasure a Sin?

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

+:D.Ř.Ę.Ŧ.Ļ.Ĭ .N:+ wrote:
Pennyroyal Tea wrote:The bible is not to be taken literally. It's where most people who are religious fail.
A plethora of Christians disagree with you. They are guided by their "moral" compass and not yours.
Relationships with God should be personal, not organizational. I understand the need for a church, but beyond that I don't care what most Christians say.
Yeah, you were right about me, but can I get myself out from underneath this guilt that will crush me? in the choir, I saw our sad Messiah he was bored and tired of my laments
He said, "I died for you one time, but never again"
Shining Star

Post by Shining Star »

Pennyroyal Tea wrote:
Pennyroyal Tea wrote:The bible is not to be taken literally. It's where most people who are religious fail.
A plethora of Christians disagree with you. They are guided by their "moral" compass and not yours.
Relationships with God should be personal, not organizational. I understand the need for a church, but beyond that I don't care what most Christians say.
I agree with what Dret and Pennyroyal said here. Except I would add to what Penny said and say that it is important to have fellowship with other Christians to stay strong in your faith.

The Bible is to be taken literally, its God's word. So what if its been translated and retranslated.

And thats the point of adultery on what you just said Penny. The ten commandments and other bible verses are much more deeper then what's on the surface.
God is love. Because the love that He provides us with is the greatest love of all. And it is because of Him that we are able to love others, since He loved us first.

If you want to know more just pm me. :) He loves you despite what you might think.
Shining Star

Post by Shining Star »

Pennyroyal Tea wrote:
God is love. Because the love that He provides us with is the greatest love of all. And it is because of Him that we are able to love others, since He loved us first.

If you want to know more just pm me. :) He loves you despite what you might think.
Jade_Steel_Hawk

Post by Jade_Steel_Hawk »

The "mistranslations" can be clarified if you have different versions and compare words and context in specific sections. With all the different meanings of words in the English language, some things can be misinterpreted. Also, the reason there are different denominations is because certain parts are taken literally while others not. What your personal take on the Bible is determines denomination, unless you choose to be nondenominational. There are always things to learn and research, so I don't like to classify myself, at least not yet.

Yes, I am Christian, but my faith is anything but blind. I question everything - creation, plate tectonics, carbon dating, certain degrees of evolution, the flood, dinosaurs, the big bang, the moon being once a part of Earth - and if you do some research, those can tie science and Christianity together. Look a bit deeper than the secular publications, and what you find might astound you.
"The reason I have such faith in God is because He showed me there is someone I could rely on once I lost faith in humanity."
Shining Star

Post by Shining Star »

Jade_Steel_Hawk wrote:The "mistranslations" can be clarified if you have different versions and compare words and context in specific sections. With all the different meanings of words in the English language, some things can be misinterpreted. Also, the reason there are different denominations is because certain parts are taken literally while others not. What your personal take on the Bible is determines denomination, unless you choose to be nondenominational. There are always things to learn and research, so I don't like to classify myself, at least not yet.

Yes, I am Christian, but my faith is anything but blind. I question everything - creation, plate tectonics, carbon dating, certain degrees of evolution, the flood, dinosaurs, the big bang, the moon being once a part of Earth - and if you do some research, those can tie science and Christianity together. Look a bit deeper than the secular publications, and what you find might astound you.
^ First Part: This was what I was trying to say, but I failed horribly at it. lol. But it is all so true. I personally classify myself as Lutheran but ultimately we all have our different takes. I have been thinking lately about owning different versions of the Bible. I want a King James version. I currently own NIV.

^Amen to that. I don't blindly follow as well. This is why God gave us free will. :mrgreen: Personally though, and probably because I'm still new at it, I want to learn so much more so I can intelligently converse with others about God and the Bible. So this way I can back things up with facts, research, and verses when its called for. But in the meantime, I to question these things but I understand what is a sin and whats not.

Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

Jade_Steel_Hawk wrote:The "mistranslations" can be clarified if you have different versions and compare words and context in specific sections. With all the different meanings of words in the English language, some things can be misinterpreted. Also, the reason there are different denominations is because certain parts are taken literally while others not. What your personal take on the Bible is determines denomination, unless you choose to be nondenominational. There are always things to learn and research, so I don't like to classify myself, at least not yet.

Not always. The only example I could come up with off the top of my head is a verse from Paul's letter to the Corinthians. In it he talks about how homosexuality is wrong, or something. But actually, the word used for homosexuals actually doesn't really translate to homosexuals, and it wasn't until 1926 that they started using that word. Truthfully we don't know what it means, and it's been said that it stands closer to old pervert than homosexual, yet we all use that same translation.
Yeah, you were right about me, but can I get myself out from underneath this guilt that will crush me? in the choir, I saw our sad Messiah he was bored and tired of my laments
Jade_Steel_Hawk

Old pervert homosexual?
"The reason I have such faith in God is because He showed me there is someone I could rely on once I lost faith in humanity."
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

Jade_Steel_Hawk wrote:Old pervert homosexual?
The exact definition escapes me, but maybe. I must admit to not knowing much about it other than what I said
Dretlin

Post by Dretlin »

Jade_Steel_Hawk wrote:Yes, I am Christian, but my faith is anything but blind. I question everything - creation, plate tectonics, carbon dating, certain degrees of evolution, the flood, dinosaurs, the big bang, the moon being once a part of Earth - and if you do some research, those can tie science and Christianity together. Look a bit deeper than the secular publications, and what you find might astound you.
I spend quite a bit of my spare time on this subject and I have never once seen any religious claim confirmed by science. Regardless of which, the thousands of religions, it could have come from.

A recommend this website for your study: Talkorigins.com

What I am about to say next is not a response to anything any of you have said, nor is it directed to anyone or motivated by anything said on this thread:

Any religious belief is not and never will be justification for bigotry. No one can hide behind that thin veil and preach hatred and claim discrimination based on intolerance toward their very own.
Shining Star

Post by Shining Star »

Jade_Steel_Hawk wrote:Yes, I am Christian, but my faith is anything but blind. I question everything - creation, plate tectonics, carbon dating, certain degrees of evolution, the flood, dinosaurs, the big bang, the moon being once a part of Earth - and if you do some research, those can tie science and Christianity together. Look a bit deeper than the secular publications, and what you find might astound you.
I spend quite a bit of my spare time on this subject and I have never once seen any religious claim confirmed by science. Regardless of which, the thousands of religions, it could have come from.

What I am about to say next is not a response to anything any of you have said, nor is it directed to anyone or motivated by anything said on this thread:

Any religious belief is not and never will be justification for bigotry. No one can hide behind that thin veil and preach hatred and claim discrimination based on intolerance toward their very own.
Dret, you lost me on the last part of your comment...please explain or clarify further. Thanks.

Jade_Steel_Hawk

You haven't looked hard enough then.
Edit: Nothing is proven, but there is significant evidence.

I'll look into that site and tell you what I think; maybe we can discuss it one-on-one sometime.

My religion is not an excuse for bigotry. Granted, many do use it for that, but I know I'm just as twisted and tainted as any other human. I don't hate anyone, though I may disagree with lifestyles chosen. I view homosexuality as a sin, and a sin is a sin, no one is bigger or lesser than another. I'm no more righteous than someone who does such things.
Dretlin

Post by Dretlin »

Jade_Steel_Hawk wrote: My religion is not an excuse for bigotry. Granted, many do use it for that, but I know I'm just as twisted and tainted as any other human.
You are not twisted or tainted. You are a beautify complex being that the universe, mostly likely, sees very infrequently.

I am deeply against the concept of sin. I feel it teaches us to be ashamed of being human and to be ashamed to have the natural urges that has sustained our species for millennia. It also instils beliefs that have no foundation in reason or a morally developed society.

I have also noticed I am yet to give my clear opinion on this thread. No - self pleasure is nothing to be ashamed of. Whether it is a "sin" or not is down to whatever religion you happen to have been born into or apart of. I am against anything that deny's a simple and harmless human experience.

Shining Star wrote:
+:D.Ř.Ę.Ŧ.Ļ.Ĭ .N:+ wrote: Any religious belief is not and never will be justification for bigotry. No one can hide behind that thin veil and preach hatred and claim discrimination based on intolerance toward their very own.
Dret, you lost me on the last part of your comment...please explain or clarify further. Thanks.
To put it another way: Anyone's religion is no excuse for bigotry, I could not care less what excuses any "holy" tome gives for e.g. homophobia. It is immoral to preach the example, then when you are fought against for that intolerance, the preacher claims religious discrimination. Everyone is entitled to their views, a right I hold very dear and bigotry has no excuse, regardless of its source.
Jade_Steel_Hawk

Jade_Steel_Hawk wrote: My religion is not an excuse for bigotry. Granted, many do use it for that, but I know I'm just as twisted and tainted as any other human.
You are not twisted or tainted. You are a beautify complex being that the universe, mostly likely, sees very infrequently.

I am deeply against the concept of sin. I feel it teaches us to be ashamed of being human and to be ashamed to have the natural urges that has sustained our species for millennia. It also instils beliefs that have no foundation in reason or a morally developed society.

I have also noticed I am yet to give my clear opinion on this thread. No - self pleasure is nothing to be ashamed of. Whether it is a "sin" or not is down to whatever religion you happen to have been born into or apart of. I am against anything that deny's a simple and harmless human experience.
Knowing that I'm sinful makes me strive to improve myself, to become a better person. If people didn't control their urges, the world would be utterly chaotic. Sometimes I want to drive into oncoming traffic, but I know it's wrong, so I try to not even think about it [though that doesn't always work].
Dretlin

Post by Dretlin »

Jade_Steel_Hawk wrote: Knowing that I'm sinful makes me strive to improve myself, to become a better person. If people didn't control their urges, the world would be utterly chaotic. Sometimes I want to drive into oncoming traffic, but I know it's wrong, so I try to not even think about it [though that doesn't always work].
I do not think you need the threat of hell or the promise of reward in heaven to motivate good/bad actions. "Be good, for goodness sake".

Sexual urge, as I said, is nothing to be ashamed of. It is a considerable part of the human experience and a very healthy one. I partly blame certain Christen and Islamic denominations for even implying they way we are is somehow detestable.
Jade_Steel_Hawk

I don't strive to be better because of hell, but because I genuinely want to become a better person. Actions don't determine heaven or hell.
Dretlin

Post by Dretlin »

Jade_Steel_Hawk wrote:I don't strive to be better because of hell, but because I genuinely want to become a better person. Actions don't determine heaven or hell.
It seems to me in that case, that you do not need religion at all.

Well, then again I am an Atheist. What else am I going to say. :-$