What Kazuma really represents, and the system behind it

Dash
Rookie Otaku

What Kazuma really represents, and the system behind it

Post by Dash »

I understand many people love Kazuma, and that he's extremely popular, but I just can't bring myself to like him. In fact, I hate him. He's in fact my least favorite fictional character ever. And here I'll show you why.

First off, he kidnapped Mimori. "Kidnapping the princess" is an archetypal villain thing to do. That doesn't bother me as much as what he did after Kimishima got killed though.

Kazuma catches up to Scheris, who first off does not have an alter designed for fighting, and who never personally did anything to harm Kazuma. She gets scared and sends Dars to attack Kazuma. Kazuma shakes them off and stands in front of Scheris, physically intimidating her. He then picks her up, holds her down and basically beats her to a pulp. What's most disgusting is that Kazuma ultimately ends up winning against HOLY in the last episode. It would have been better if him and Scheris fought a fair battle, him going easy on her because she doesn't have the fighting alter Kazuma has. Instead, he found Scheris, who was relatively helpless at the moment, and used his raw male strength to take his anger out on and dominate someone physically smaller and presumably weaker than himself. Is this really the kind of hero we look up to in the 2000s? Is this the kind of male role model today's teens and young adults look up to? If so, then something has got to change.

I find this action against the prettier, more innocent, softer people within any given "evil empire" (in this case HOLY) to be despicable. Sure, most people say "well they started it so they're worse." True, but I always hated "justified brutality" against people, especially women and children of the "evil empire," especially because these actions, no matter how heinous, are done by the "good guy," so that apparently means it's good that he did that. I have posted rallying calls against Kazuma and his actions on anime websites and found nothing but replies rationalizing and justifying his actions, as well as criticizing me of wanting “everyone else” to think exactly like me. I now know that if my forum thread had been about one of the more widely-disliked characters in the world of anime, such as Sakura from Naruto, Flay from Gundam, or even Scheris herself (a few people love to watch Kazuma abuse her because they themselves hate her.) I have noticed that the overwhelming majority of widely-bashed characters are female. The angry, the young and the stupid value brutality, misogyny and misguided, vigilante justice, and p*ss on reasoning, kindness, chivalry and discipline.

What I have come to realize is that the creation of such characters as Kazuma, the anger found in such music as gangsta rap and nu-metal, the self-righteous, wrathful preachings of fundamentalist religion, the heartlessness, sarcasm, "biting wit" and "brutal honesty" of internet forum users, and the overall brutal image of what's generally considered "cool" for males...all those things are part of the same system: the system of a patriarchal society that values punishment and abuse, and ridicules kindness and honor. If we let it continue, then this society will continue to devolve, young people like you and me continuing to be brainwashed by such characters as Kazuma (or even Jack Bauer or The Punisher, though I don't mind them as much.) If we do not set an example of honor, chivalry, discipline, respect, self-defense and fighting spirit, then we can kiss our ideals goodbye, because nobody will listen or care...we'll be met with laughter and ridicule by the denizens of the system.

I had a dream a month ago, set 20 years in the future. In it, I dreamed the patriarchal system of abuse had grown so bloated and full of itself that characters such as Kazuma were everywhere, and his behavior was now considered the new heroic standard. The internet was controlled by an elite who "pwned n00bs" all the time, making ANY online community as corrupt as Newgrounds. Crime was way higher because criminals felt justified in attacking the innocent "because the innocent had it way better than them," and police brutality had reached an all-time high, because the police felt justified in attacking anyone labeled as a criminal...a 15-year-old white girl from a rich niehborhood (in other words not "suspicious" by most law enforcement standards,) commited a somewhat minor crime (I forget what it was) and was beaten and almost raped by an angry officer in the same manner as Scheris was attacked by Kazuma.

In the dream I held my hand out and yelled STOP! Time stopped and I yelled GUN! and an MP5 submachine gun appeared in my hands...it was really weird, like straight out of The Matrix, which is apt, since I liken this system to the computer-generated reality of the machines. I killed the officer and several more shot at me, but I held out my hands and yelled STOP again. I then yelled EVOLVE! and the people around me followed my lead and we all formed a militia to destroy this system. It was a good dream.

I imagine the future will not be as dramatic as my dream, but things will be similar. Justified brutality cannot last forever in a world where people will ultimately get sick of being pissed on. Eventually, sooner or later, someone is going to put a stop to it, and that someone may be me. Or you.

I expect some pretty entertaining responses from a few blind denizens of the system[/b]
Gyro Zeppeli
Absolute Otaku

Re: What Kazuma really represents, and the system behind it

Post by Gyro Zeppeli »

Another rant about a freaking fictional character.

I find it quite hilarious that your avatar is the HOLY insignia, an organization whose true goal is basically genocide and absolute power, yet you're calling Kazuma evil.
In the beginning was the Win, and the Win was with Gai, and the Win was Gai.

Raptor Jesus went extinct for your sins. He is the true messiah
Dash
Rookie Otaku

Post by Dash »

L Lawliet wrote:Another rant about a freaking fictional character.

I find it quite hilarious that your avatar is the HOLY insignia, an organization whose true goal is basically genocide and absolute power, yet you're calling Kazuma evil.
It's an act of defiance against the show, the character, and everything he stands for.

And no, it's not a rant. I'm only standing against this patriarchal system, and you're clearly defending it.
Gyro Zeppeli
Absolute Otaku

Post by Gyro Zeppeli »

Dash wrote:It's an act of defiance against the show, the character, and everything he stands for.
Maybe you need to separate fiction from reality
And no, it's not a rant. I'm only standing against this patriarchal system, and you're clearly defending it.
Kazuma is the lesser of 2 evils. What HOLY is doing is basically another holocaust. Kazuma is just a headstrong, somewhat empty-headed punk.

BTW, I'm not defending everything he stands for, just some of it. And the reason I like him isn't because of his beliefs, it's moreso because he reminds me of Joseph Joestar from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
Last edited by Gyro Zeppeli on Feb 02, 2008 7:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the beginning was the Win, and the Win was with Gai, and the Win was Gai.

Raptor Jesus went extinct for your sins. He is the true messiah
Dash
Rookie Otaku

Post by Dash »

I don't support HOLY btw

Look at Emargy, Tatsunami, Kigetsuki, Mujo, and such. They're no better than Kazuma, but unlike Kazuma, they're not all "righteous" and what they do is just bad, the show doesn't make what they do look "good" like what it does for Kazuma.

Fiction from Reality? I'm merely fighting the evil power Kazuma stands for, and the [censored] stupid rhetoric behind what the people who came up with him were thinking.
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

Kazuma is much more righteous then everyone you just mentioned, the members you mentioned are willingly following the genocide plan, that makes them lower then dirt. Kazuma just stands up for what he believes in, even if he does do some wrong stuff, he is the good guy. And the all noble Ryuho ends up respecting him so does the princess Mimori. so where is your argument?

Everyone who opposed Kazuma, ended up respecting him and becoming his friend. Ryuho, Sherice, Mimori, Couger, Tachibana...they all relised he was right.

and I agree with L, you need to realise that the show isn't real and can never be real. And really is it nessesary to make this big a fuss because you dont like 1 character.

I read through the first of the larger paragraphs and by then I knew it was just the typical whiny rant full of bs
(*Bleach 101 ARMY*) - General 陸軍大将 Rikugun Taishō (****)
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.