Words, phrases or anything else wanted? Ask here!

It's not nearly as complex as English, but as usual we find ways to screw it up.
Re-l
Baka Otaku

Re: Words, phrases or anything else wanted? Ask here!

Post by Re-l »

Hello, I'm new so please be nice to me!
I really need a bit from Akira translated, I attempted it but sadly have forgotten most of my Japanese (which was poor to begin with)
It's the bit where the newsreader lady says:
"A skirmish has broken out between student protesters and riot police. There appear to be casualties."
If anyone can help at all that would be great. I only have odd words. :cry: I'll love you forever.
geishaboy
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by geishaboy »

Damn, if I had the dvd or movie file I could tell you, but sadly I don't :(
Re-l
Baka Otaku

Post by Re-l »

Heh, same problem. My sister has it and wrote down what she heard, but some (most?) of it is wrong, or probably wrong. Anyway, she got:
"He(i) kinyata kinta kedo saito gakusei nai ga de_______chigai madetou mou desu."

Which I suspect makes no sense. My dictionary says kidoutai means riot police, higai means damage, and hei means be in a row/rival. And I think to(u?) means and or is a person suffix (?) sort of thing.
Sorry I'm dead tired. Really anything close to it is fine, but I don't know even nearly enough Japanese to figure it out without hearing it so I'd be stupidly grateful for any input. [-o<
"mizaru, iwazaru, kikazaru"
animekidcam
Visitor

Post by animekidcam »

domo hajimemashita
Mrs.RoronoaZoro
Master Otaku

Post by Mrs.RoronoaZoro »

YAY...what fun!...I wanna know everything! TELL ME EVERYTHING VERBS AND ALL THAT GRAMMATICAL STUFF!
"Y'know you want me!" - Arsene Lupin the third
"I'm gonna kick his ass!" -Monkey D. Luffy
"Where can love be found; if your heart won't feel?" -Shivers
I LOVE RORONOA ZORO! ^_^
Yuki~
Absolute Otaku

Post by Yuki~ »

animekidcam wrote:domo hajimemashita
hm... it'd be hajimemashitE...^^''
olááá
L'Arc~en~Ciel forever~
o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o
quando pousar e abrir os olhos como seria bom se te encontrasse com um sorriso...
tchau~
Mrs.RoronoaZoro
Master Otaku

Can someone please tell me what Kokoro no Chizu means... I think I know that um...kokoro means spirit (right?)...but...in this little handbook my friend bought me...chizu means cheese...and i think it's just like some kind of english adaption and that chizu could mean something else. So, if anyone knows...please share your knowledge! [-o<
I LOVE RORONOA ZORO! ^_^
Dreams

Post by Dreams »

"Kokoro" is usually translated as "heart", like the inner core of someone/something. "Chizu" means "map" (technically "cheese" has the long I, as in "chiizu")... so I'm pretty sure it would be "map of (my) heart". Without context, there's no way to know who the subject is, so it could be... my heart, your heart, his/her heart, etc. But cheese of the heart sounds more delicious.

You can check my particles thread if you want to know the basic use of "no".
Пуля в сердце, мозг на дверцу...
"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." ~Romans 6:23
Yume~
Rookie Otaku

Post by Yume~ »

couldn't it be kokoro no kizu? I think Kokoro no Chizu is just weird... but.. well, even im japanese's descedent, my japanese is just basic, 'cause i learn it by myself.....
Commander Sparx
Absolute Otaku

Post by Commander Sparx »

I’m not thinking of doing it but, how do you change you’re user name?
Commander Sparx from Planet Delta First commando of the Central base, Long live the Sliver Blades!
Yume~
Rookie Otaku

Post by Yume~ »

me? i went to profile and changed Komaki into Yume (which is my 2nd name btw)
geishaboy
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by geishaboy »

Yume~ wrote:couldn't it be kokoro no kizu?
Eh?

kokoro no kizu 心の傷 - "A injury to the heart and soul"
Keiji
Ramen Slurping Otaku

Post by Keiji »

Hmm, I'm surprised that nobody's posted this: http :// mahou .org /Dict (remove spaces, I'm dodging the website filter >_>). It's a Japanese dictionary, where you can search for English, or any form of Japanese (romaji, kana and kanji).

Now for a question: yokata is "I'm glad". But how can I say "I'm glad that..."? For example, "I'm glad that you're alive" etc.
Mrs.RoronoaZoro
Master Otaku

Dream, thank you for answering my question. Kokoro no Chizu is the name of one of the One Piece Openings...and its probably what you said, Map of My Heart. That sounds so cute...-sigh- I love One Piece. SO...thank you for answering my question. :D
I LOVE RORONOA ZORO! ^_^
geishaboy
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by geishaboy »

Keiji wrote:Hmm, I'm surprised that nobody's posted this: http :// mahou .org /Dict (remove spaces, I'm dodging the website filter >_>). It's a Japanese dictionary, where you can search for English, or any form of Japanese (romaji, kana and kanji).

Now for a question: yokata is "I'm glad". But how can I say "I'm glad that..."? For example, "I'm glad that you're alive" etc.
Thats not a bad little website, good find

And I think you mean "yokatta", you almost hat it right, but there is a slight pause between ka and ta. It's actually the past plain form of adjective "yoi", which means "good". So it can mean "I'm glad" but also "was good".

As for "I'm glad that you are alive" well, I guess you could say "anata ha ikiru koto ga yokatta" あなたは生きることがよかった, and more informal and natural would probably come out "ikiru yokatta" 生きるよかった, although to me, this would only really sounds natural if for some reason you thought the person in question was dead

However I'm not to sure of this myself, Dreams will probably correct me when she reads this
Yume~
Rookie Otaku

Post by Yume~ »

geishaboy wrote:
Yume~ wrote:couldn't it be kokoro no kizu?
Eh?

kokoro no kizu 心の傷 - "A injury to the heart and soul"
pfffff... sorry about that! i learn japanese by myself here and i do that sometimes... ==PP

but one more thing and sorry if im wrong again, but isn't the adjective ''ii''? Sorry, im without my japanese writing system at the moment.. ^^'' >.<''