a cookie cutter

Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

a cookie cutter

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

if you watch the show Fafner, which is older then seed/seed destiny you'll see that the seed destiny character Shin and the seed captain Ramius are exact copies of two characters from Fafner
(*Bleach 101 ARMY*) - General 陸軍大将 Rikugun Taishō (****)
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
Sanger Zomvolt
Absolute Otaku

Re: a cookie cutter

Post by Sanger Zomvolt »

Thats because they both have the same character designer, Hisashi Copypasta Hirai, who rehashes character designs over and over. It isn't new.
Duuz
Uber Otaku

Post by Duuz »

Yes, even the characters in another series which the name escapes me right now done by the same person all have the same looks as Seed and Fafner.

S-cry-ed?
"Charge! The Goddess of Victory is flashing her panties at us!" -Bittenfeld / Legend of Galactic Heroes
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

I think it a cheap crapy way to do things....
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
Sanger Zomvolt
Absolute Otaku

Post by Sanger Zomvolt »

blame the lousy artist, not the company.
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

When did I blame the company? I simply said it was a crapy way to do things
Gyro Zeppeli
Absolute Otaku

Post by Gyro Zeppeli »

Duuz wrote:Yes, even the characters in another series which the name escapes me right now done by the same person all have the same looks as Seed and Fafner.

S-cry-ed?
s-CRY-ed has a few character designs that aren't exactly identical to Seed and Fafner, but yes, there are clones in s-CRY-ed as well.

Anyhoo, it's sad, but it seems that a lot of other artists rehash character designs like crazy too, not just Hirai.
In the beginning was the Win, and the Win was with Gai, and the Win was Gai.

Raptor Jesus went extinct for your sins. He is the true messiah
Cold Revolver
Absolute Otaku

Post by Cold Revolver »

Sanger Zomvolt wrote:blame the lousy artist, not the company.
No my friend, you would do better to blame the producers for saving time and money... They recycle characters in order to save time money for productions costs and animation.
Can you find your name?
Amigos list: NickMistaColaJohnAmrayYMBedeMikeTycheAthosCloudTrishMatLust<33GioSerasErikBiki
KarinDretJessKoyue

I am not gay, I'm just colorful Betch! =-]
Sanger Zomvolt
Absolute Otaku

Post by Sanger Zomvolt »

It is possible, but not necessarily. Hisashi Hirai just can't design characters. It is evident in all of his works. Seed Destiny's budget was quite high actually, because Seed was so popular. If you compare the character art of GSD to that of GSD Stargazer, you can tell that Stargazer's character designs are far superior, and yet as an OVA consisting of 3 15 minute episodes, it was obviously an afterthough, not really Bandai's main focus, especially compared to GSD, which took most of their effort, considering that it was their cash cow. He just sucks as an artist, money has nothing to do with it.

Oh and to the OP, Though older than Gundam Seed Destiny by a few months, Fafner is actually newer than Gundam Seed.
Cold Revolver
Absolute Otaku

Post by Cold Revolver »

Sanger Zomvolt wrote:It is possible, but not necessarily. Hisashi Hirai just can't design characters. It is evident in all of his works. Seed Destiny's budget was quite high actually, because Seed was so popular. If you compare the character art of GSD to that of GSD Stargazer, you can tell that Stargazer's character designs are far superior, and yet as an OVA consisting of 3 15 minute episodes, it was obviously an afterthough, not really Bandai's main focus, especially compared to GSD, which took most of their effort, considering that it was their cash cow. He just sucks as an artist, money has nothing to do with it.

Oh and to the OP, Though older than Gundam Seed Destiny by a few months, Fafner is actually newer than Gundam Seed.

Animation quality and the recycling of characters sometimes does have a lot to do with funds and the companies current budget, the only reason why I know is because right now im working with the industry, well im in school for it but I do hear things from people that have worked in the animation field.

But I was also told (and which I find very/extremely true) Is that anime/manga/manhwa is a lot easier to animate that your more terrific/realistic western style, because of the limitations of certain or all anime character designers one can only go so far... Notice how all most every anime character shares similar traits, most anime artists draw one way, but the over all shapes and anatomy they use are very stylized and can mis represent what they have created for the most part, this is when they apply they technique to the paper, they tend to regress a bit. Most anime character artists stick to their styles because it is anime, being that they can only go so far with that particular style. anyone that says any different is a fool, I know you can understand this Sanger your a smart amigo :).

Note, I Love anime and just so happen to believe that their are good quality anime character designers out there such as Shinchiro Watanabe, He did a good job in Cowboy beebop. As for the artist that do gundam, they all stick to the same TRENDS...
Can you find your name?
Amigos list: NickMistaColaJohnAmrayYMBedeMikeTycheAthosCloudTrishMatLust<33GioSerasErikBiki
KarinDretJessKoyue

I am not gay, I'm just colorful Betch! =-]
Duuz
Uber Otaku

Post by Duuz »

Then why were there so many variations between the characters of Mobile Suit Gundam and Venus Wars? The characters were both designed by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, or does this just highlight Yas' awesomeness? Sure General Donner looked like Girhen Zabi with long hair, but it was easier to tell them apart.
"Charge! The Goddess of Victory is flashing her panties at us!" -Bittenfeld / Legend of Galactic Heroes