Watchmen

Discussions about anything movie or television-related
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Watchmen

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

Anyone else looking forward to this movie? It looks so badass, I can't wait until March 28th. I'll go see it in theaters.

Anyone else going to see it?
(*Bleach 101 ARMY*) - General 陸軍大将 Rikugun Taishō (****)
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
Mik3

Re: Watchmen

Post by Mik3 »

Definety goingto see it. Its the best graphic novel ever. From what ive seen doesn't look like theyve f'd it up. Though how it ends may not be to peoples liking
I remembered my password.
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

Why, what do you think will be wrong with the ending?
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

Well if you read the graphic novel you'd know.
Yeah, you were right about me, but can I get myself out from underneath this guilt that will crush me? in the choir, I saw our sad Messiah he was bored and tired of my laments
He said, "I died for you one time, but never again"
MARS4
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by MARS4 »

The name sounded familiar. Is it an old comic from DC or Marvel?
I really do want to see it, though. But I suppose I'll need to read about it first before I see if, otherwise I'll be confused, as usual :P always ahappens. But everytime I say I want to see a movie in theaters, I ever do... last time I went to see one was Twilightb the day after it was released, and before that was in May, and the time before that, a year later again in may. =\ yeaahh...
can anyone post any information about the movie? I'd like to know more about it. :)
<3..*~Team Jacob or Team Edward. Seriously? I don't even have to think about it... I'm Team Damon. :] *~..<3
I'm a Bohunk, and I survive Minnesota winters. so don't fudge with me! =D
Thank you, and have a wonderful day.
Athos

Post by Athos »

It's a DC thing. It's kinda like the DC saga of "Kingdom Come" from what I've read on the web. I know much about the story (though I am reading through the graphic novel right now which is only $19.99).

So far though, the story opens with the murder of one of the Watchmen--the Comedian. The Comdian (Edward Blake) worked for the government. In this Universe, the U.S. Congress passed the Keene Act of '77 which was created as a result of the policemen going on strike because of these vigilantes doing the polices' job. Under the Keene Act, all vigilantes that aren't sponsored by the government must cease fighting crime. The only vigilantes that are able however to be active are ones that are supported by the U.S. Government (i.e.: The Comedian, Dr. Manhattan). The only "illegal" vigilante that is active is Rorschach (pronounced "roar-shock"). Rorschach finds out about the Comedian's death and begins to investigate. He looks for the old nemesis of the Comedian and goes into a bar (and breaks some guy's index and pinky fingers). I'll post when I read more of the novel.

((Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?))
Member of the ModSquad 8)
Mik3

Post by Mik3 »

Athos wrote:It's a DC thing. It's kinda like the DC saga of "Kingdom Come" from what I've read on the web. I know much about the story (though I am reading through the graphic novel right now which is only $19.99).

So far though, the story opens with the murder of one of the Watchmen--the Comedian. The Comdian (Edward Blake) worked for the government. In this Universe, the U.S. Congress passed the Keene Act of '77 which was created as a result of the policemen going on strike because of these vigilantes doing the polices' job. Under the Keene Act, all vigilantes that aren't sponsored by the government must cease fighting crime. The only vigilantes that are able however to be active are ones that are supported by the U.S. Government (i.e.: The Comedian, Dr. Manhattan). The only "illegal" vigilante that is active is Rorschach (pronounced "roar-shock"). Rorschach finds out about the Comedian's death and begins to investigate. He looks for the old nemesis of the Comedian and goes into a bar (and breaks some guy's index and pinky fingers). I'll post when I read more of the novel.

Thats the jist of it, and the story revolves heavily around cold war politics and the arms race between The US and Soviet Union.
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

Athos wrote:It's a DC thing. It's kinda like the DC saga of "Kingdom Come" from what I've read on the web. I know much about the story (though I am reading through the graphic novel right now which is only $19.99).

It's actually from an an imprint of DC geared more towards older readers.

And in my opinion it's much different than Kingdom Come, though it's in the same vein. The characters were far more realistic in the Watchmen, in Kingdom Come they were still in many ways larger than life when it came to the morals that they represented.

And speaking of Kingdom Come, Alex Ross is the best comic book artist EVER.
Yeah, you were right about me, but can I get myself out from underneath this guilt that will crush me? in the choir, I saw our sad Messiah he was bored and tired of my laments
Athos

Post by Athos »

Of course he is! I wanted to get one of his posters of Dr. Fate.
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

I do see 1 possible problem with the movie now that I read the novels......

Doctor Manhattan, he's a fully nude character and at times had full frontal in the novel, this might be a bit problematic with a movie. I mean it's hard to imagine Doctor Manhattan in underwear. lol
Mik3

Post by Mik3 »

Aoi Sakuraba wrote:I do see 1 possible problem with the movie now that I read the novels......

Doctor Manhattan, he's a fully nude character and at times had full frontal in the novel, this might be a bit problematic with a movie. I mean it's hard to imagine Doctor Manhattan in underwear. lol
Well from what ive seen from the trailers hes glowing so much hes pretty much censoring his own junk unintenionally
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

Yes. I read in an interview that they purposely understated his genitals and used as few frontal shots as possible. There's no sexual nature in his nude shots at all, so they may show it.
Mik3

Post by Mik3 »

Just bought my tickets for the midnight release, going to see it in IMAX in a few hours. Going to play Killzone 2 until then

Now im a bit skeptical, because they aparently tweaked the ending to make it more pleasing to the general public. Hopefully its just that, a small tweak and not some gay alternate ending to make everyone happy.
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

Its not fair.....I have to wait till the 28th to see it :(
Mik3

Post by Mik3 »

If you guys can, go and see it in Imax, the screen is huge.

I liked it, they stayed true to the novel for the most part.

They didn't have Hollis Mason's death though.

Spoiler
Show
The ending tweak was instead of a squid alien thing, it was Dr manhattan that got used s a scapegoat. Its ok though because the poinr of it all is still there and the project was at least named s.q.u.i.d.

The best part is the beginning fightThe Comedian has with ozy, while nat king cole's unforgettable plays. Just awesome stuff right there
Athos

Post by Athos »

I just watched it last night. I loved it. I was somewhat bummed about it too. I have to say, at first I liked Nite Owl, but I'm starting to gravitate towards the Comedian. Also, they did show brief parts of Dr. Manhattan in the nude. And now that I think about it, the Comedian sure knew how to go out in style.
Spoiler
Show
What I can't figure out is the thing between Silk Spectre I and II and the Comedian. Apparently becoming a father wasn't enough to change his views on humanity.