YuGiOh: King of (Shadow) Games Only

LiVe_WiRe
Master Otaku

YuGiOh: King of (Shadow) Games Only

Post by LiVe_WiRe »

Haha, besides my returning, I must arse blast about this one. *nudges panel* I was once an illiterate 13 year old here, still fan-dancing about Luffy or Trigun or some such thing : )

I finished reading Yu-Gi-Oh! For the second time this summer/fall. How wonderful the system is! It's very simple, but catchy. You have a part where Yuugi is wronged, and then gets revenge by turning into Yami Yuugi, who challenges the offender with a shadow game: a risky game that will twist the soul of the loser. It features such games as 'stack of money with knives', my personal favorite. (I just gave it a name.) For instance, two players layer 500 bills on each other's hand, and they take turns stabbing the stack with a knife-trying to pluck off as many as they can. The winner is the one with the most bills. Losing.. Well, you know what happens. Your hand gets a coupla dents, and you get to be punished in a judgmentally sadistic way.

My beef is, why did they market the card game so hard? I understand the story asked for a little bit of marketing, but by the beloved 'Pegasus Arc', the story is downright.. Unattractive. Also including that the american folk's Yu-Gi-Oh exposure starts with Pegasus. Forgetting all the, you know, REASON why Yami is there and all, with his friends!! #-o Turning it into a card game palooza is just irritating and destroys the value.

So, in retrospect. It's nice to have a card game. Who doesn't like collecting cards. But show about cards? One can only push the theme of 'the heart is in the cards' so much, before it becomes downright transparent. I love the beginning series, gosh, I never thought I'd say that about a Yu-Gi-Oh thing, I mean anything. But I love it. I really do. So much charm, now I cherish my 1 (count them 1) manga, which just so happens to be the Bobobo volume where Yuugi guest appears with Slifer! : )
what's wrong with you? youve totally lost it! put that toe back on and enjoy your peopleburger!
Memeber of the HARRY POTTER SUCKS Club
Member of the Kakashi club
Proud member of the Sasuke is Gay club
stormsangel
Absolute Otaku

Re: YuGiOh: King of (Shadow) Games Only

Post by stormsangel »

Yami Yuugi is so evil in the beginning of the manga, the difference between the start and when Duel Monsters comes in is insane! First hearing about Season 0 and then watching it, I was shocked that Yami was so evil, though how he gets back at those that did something Yuugi and friends is great, freaky at times but great.
*~I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I am not~*
*~Dare to dream, dare to fly, dare to be the ever chosen one to touch the sky~*

"You can't help it when you fall in love. That's just love, you know?" ~Hideki, Chobits
Bacchikoi Baby!!!
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by Bacchikoi Baby!!! »

i loved Yami then....but when he started spewing "the heart of the cards" bullcrap.......i was appalled........it was disturbing to see a somewhat demonic king suddenly turn peaceful......and turn violent in a card game.....

"Lets decide the fate of the world by playing a childrens card game....in stead of beating the crap directly out of the evil guy"

what kind of logic is that.....like the abridge series cuz its so logical....unlike the actual show
Temporally using until further notice.
poopy
LiVe_WiRe
Master Otaku

Post by LiVe_WiRe »

Yeah! How evil he was in the beginning, combined with the old drawing style ( his gangar-ish smiles ) really made a chilling effect. He wasn't afraid to lay his life on the line to play a game of death, more or so. He was a lot more inclined to take matters directly.

It was a poor turn in all. Just too much of a stretch. I keep hearing all this about the abridged series; should I have seen all the card arcs before I see the abridged?

FYI: I recommend reading Yu-Gi-Oh! The books rather than the anime. (Toei effed with it)
what's wrong with you? youve totally lost it! put that toe back on and enjoy your peopleburger!
Bacchikoi Baby!!!
Mobile Suit Otaku

you dont really need to see the series before watching the abridged series. Everything gets explained, in a funny way though, and it makes a lot of fun at 4kids for their horrible dubs
poopy
LiVe_WiRe
Master Otaku

Post by LiVe_WiRe »

Hey, thanks : )
Bacchikoi Baby!!!
Mobile Suit Otaku

yeah man, no problem at all
poopy