Faith or Lack of.

Topics about anything not related to the other forums.
Dretlin

Faith or Lack of.

Post by Dretlin »

I have been motivated to create this topic, due to a fascinating discussion in Other Adult discussions. It was utterly wasted in that area and we wished it to branch out into other issues but the threads topic could not meet that requirement. I want to thank Shinning Star and Jade Steel Hawk for their agreement.

So here it is. Faith or lack of.

I will get the ball rolling. I am a former Christen, now I am an Atheist. I have no beliefs. I have never found any sufficient evidence to proves anyone's god/gods exists or behave in a manner that is described by their faith. I have read the bible and found it, often at times, appalling and disturbing.

Hopefully that is enough for now, to at least tease someone's urge to start a discussion.
Mai

Re: Faith or Lack of.

Post by Mai »

I was raised a Catholic girl. Currently, I still have my Catholic ties but I don't extend them to a belief. I am utterly disenchanted by the idea of praising a higher being yet, praising the world surrounding is something I do daily.

Spirituality is a form of 'religion', but a very unambiguous branch (in my eyes). Regardless, faith for those who have it gives those in question more of a reason. Those who lack it have equal reason, just in varying forms unto them self.

It's too subjective for me to really base my opinion as anything less than neutral. While I don't 'believe in God', I will still respect the option that the former exists for others.
I felt like a race horse in a world without racetracks or a champion college footballer suddenly confronted by Wall Street and a business suit, his days of glory shrunk to a little gold cup on his mantel with a date engraved on it like a tombstone.
Athos

Post by Athos »

I have been raised as a non-denominational Christian protestant, but I am leaning towards becoming a 'traditional' Catholic. Religion is difficult because we really have no answers, and even philosophers for many centuries don't have a consensus. If any one group has to win in the religious spectrum, it's the agnostics.

The bible is a difficult thing since it's been picked apart by pretty much everyone. I suppose the only solid thing we know (from God) is the 10 commandments, otherwise, everything is constructed by man. I've been meaning to read up on hermeneutics, but I've been distracted by other things. While biblical interpretation is a difficult thing (given the clash between eisegesis and exegesis). I understand that like everything else, we must be wary of deviancy/radicalism/fanactism, &c. and at times, it can be difficult to perhaps find where that line is.

It seems we begin to plummet after the Sun melt's our wax.
Member of the ModSquad 8)
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

For me my beliefs are harder to explain since I'm really not what one would consider a typical Christian. While I believe in God, that doesn't necessarily stop me from disagreeing with some of the stuff in the bible, or most of organized religion. I know that Religion has probably caused more damage than it has fixed, think crusades and the dark ages, but that mainly had to do with the people involved. I believe that religion is a powerful weapon, and as with any weapon, it could be used to save, or to condemn. I believe that free thinking is the way to keep it on the positive side, and it is possible to do both.
Yeah, you were right about me, but can I get myself out from underneath this guilt that will crush me? in the choir, I saw our sad Messiah he was bored and tired of my laments
He said, "I died for you one time, but never again"
Kitty
Uber Otaku

Post by Kitty »

I was born a Christian but my parents and I never went to church or anything, I went a few times with my baby sitter when I was little but I never really got into it. I'm not really an Atheist, I used to be Agnostic. But i'm not sure anymore. I've never read the bible and I don't really believe in God or Jesus but I do believe there is something/someone out there.
キティ

x Move On, It's just a chapter in the past. But don't close the book, just turn the page x
Gaming Goddess
Absolute Otaku

Post by Gaming Goddess »

My parents would like to think they gave me religious freedom while raising me, but the truth is they made me cynical and bitter towards organized religions; and with that cynicism belief was looped in.
All the talks they had of atrocities in the name of whatever deity that was convenient has marked me fully. I have a distrust of any organization, because I know that no matter the intention, belief in such concentration is corrupted. I know that there's more to it than just the negatives of humanity, but that's what I see, every time.
When I think about faith, or anything more than us, I continue to see our glaring flaws.
I get so lost sometimes, there's nothing more I'd like that to believe in something, but I can't. There's just me.
An ordinary girl, an ordinary waist; but ordinary's just not good enough today.
Who needs imagination when you have a television?
Half of the Dream Team. Sup Mike? :wink: Part of the Sexy Trio =P~
BIKI! =3
Dretlin

Post by Dretlin »

Kitty wrote:I was born a Christian but my parents and I never went to church or anything, I went a few times with my baby sitter when I was little but I never really got into it. I'm not really an Atheist, I used to be Agnostic. But i'm not sure anymore. I've never read the bible and I don't really believe in God or Jesus but I do believe there is something/someone out there.
If you want to become Agnostic or Atheist, I would suggest reading the bible. It had that affect on me, maybe you would be the same.
Gaming Goddess wrote:My parents would like to think they gave me religious freedom while raising me, but the truth is they made me cynical and bitter towards organized religions; and with that cynicism belief was looped in.
All the talks they had of atrocities in the name of whatever deity that was convenient has marked me fully. I have a distrust of any organization, because I know that no matter the intention, belief in such concentration is corrupted. I know that there's more to it than just the negatives of humanity, but that's what I see, every time.
When I think about faith, or anything more than us, I continue to see our glaring flaws.
I get so lost sometimes, there's nothing more I'd like that to believe in something, but I can't. There's just me.
You remind me of a quote: "Beware of those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than the truth as the authority."
Tailtiu
Mobile Suit Otaku
Location: A dorm room usually; occasionally (read- when I have classes) the Nursing Bldg

Post by Tailtiu »

I was "raised" Catholic, but none of it ever stuck. I went to CCD, aka Sunday school, from 1st grade to 8th grade (6-13), and am confirmed. My mom and dad both went to Catholic school for quite a few years, so they decided I would be confirmed. After that is was my own choice on whether or not to go to church. I went a few times with Tyche, but I never really continued. I consider myself agnostic, but take an open-minded view towards the religious "hot-topics".
<3 life
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

I was raised Shinto and Buddhist and I still believe in them both, Mother is Shinto Father is Buddhist.
(*Bleach 101 ARMY*) - General 陸軍大将 Rikugun Taishō (****)
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
Yodama Man
Uber Otaku

Post by Yodama Man »

I believe in me and my godliness...Actually I'd go so far as to say I'm bigger than the Beatles.

[edit]
I just remembered a badass quote to sum up my religious views

"I contend that we are both Atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you'll understand why I dismiss yours." -Stephen F Roberts
[Yodama Man] 11:50 pm: Thank god my weed is plentyful and my cock is huge
[+:D.?.?.?.?.? .N:+] 11:51 pm: Said Jesus
Tyche
Absolute Otaku

Post by Tyche »

I'm a Yodama-ist as well.
"Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

"If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. You want to change the world? There's nothing to it."
Shining Star

Post by Shining Star »

+:D.Ř.Ę.Ŧ.Ļ.Ĭ .N:+ wrote:
Kitty wrote:I was born a Christian but my parents and I never went to church or anything, I went a few times with my baby sitter when I was little but I never really got into it. I'm not really an Atheist, I used to be Agnostic. But i'm not sure anymore. I've never read the bible and I don't really believe in God or Jesus but I do believe there is something/someone out there.
If you want to become Agnostic or Atheist, I would suggest reading the bible. It had that affect on me, maybe you would be the same.

Gaming Goddess wrote:My parents would like to think they gave me religious freedom while raising me, but the truth is they made me cynical and bitter towards organized religions; and with that cynicism belief was looped in.
You remind me of a quote: "Beware of those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than the truth as the authority."
^ Dret that doesn't make any sense at all what you said about the Bible thats not what the Bible is for. Kitty if you want to know more, talk to me about it. The Bible can be confusing at first. Gaming Goddess, there is someone out there...I know its hard and such to understand and I struggle with the concept too, but I try to hold onto my faith and surround myself with people who know where I'm coming from. But enough about that. I didn't really intend to come on this topic but when I read that, I knew in my heart I had to say something.

but let's see..my religious background...my parents are ex-catholic who just stayed Christian. We went to church up until i was like 7, and went back again for less then a year when i was 10. I remember almost nothing about this time period, and I knew about God and not Jesus so I was dettached from it...because without knowing about Jesus, God frigthen me. And plus, my mom threw the law on my head several times and made me turn away from God and left me to believe, He was a wrathful and vengeful being who only gave punishment to others. I was agnostic almost athetist then the rest of my life and this was reinforced because of the types of "Christians" I saw in the world around me.

When it came time for choosing universities I didn't know what to except when I came to Concordia. Its a religious school but I was going there because i got an academic and athletic scholarship. When I first started going there I was extremly uncomfortable with all the praying, going to chapel, and the readings from the Bible. Over time, as I heard more I wanted to learn more and I became greatly curious. I started making alot of friends there and through them they helped me out with telling me more about Our Savior. It was incredible and I realized that this was so much bigger then me, and how could I not live my life by this and for this so I became Christian, and its been that way for the last two years. I also went through confirmation at my school and became lutheran this past spring. There's so much more to my faith story that I can't cover in a simple post. All I can say is Jesus saved my life literally...I came from a broken home among other things, but by taking up the cross and dying to my old self my life became so much more. And let me clarify something following God isnt easy, but its well worth it...I mean if you think about it when you look at anything in life worth fighting for it never comes easy. All I know is God gave me life, a good home (finally), great friends, and much more. I guess thats all I have to say.
God is love. Because the love that He provides us with is the greatest love of all. And it is because of Him that we are able to love others, since He loved us first.

If you want to know more just pm me. :) He loves you despite what you might think.
Dretlin

Post by Dretlin »

Shining Star wrote: ^ Dret that doesn't make any sense at all what you said about the Bible thats not what the Bible is for. Kitty if you want to know more, talk to me about it. The Bible can be confusing at first. Gaming Goddess, there is someone out there...I know its hard and such to understand and I struggle with the concept too, but I try to hold onto my faith and surround myself with people who know where I'm coming from. But enough about that. I didn't really intend to come on this topic but when I read that, I knew in my heart I had to say something.
I initially read the bible in the hope of coming to some understanding. I was not looking for faith, I could have gone to thousands of other religions that offer the same.

I found the bible cruel, I found god to be a character that I only could feel pity and disdain towards.
Shining Star

Post by Shining Star »

Shining Star wrote: ^ Dret that doesn't make any sense at all what you said about the Bible thats not what the Bible is for. Kitty if you want to know more, talk to me about it. The Bible can be confusing at first. Gaming Goddess, there is someone out there...I know its hard and such to understand and I struggle with the concept too, but I try to hold onto my faith and surround myself with people who know where I'm coming from. But enough about that. I didn't really intend to come on this topic but when I read that, I knew in my heart I had to say something.
I initially read the bible in the hope of coming to some understanding. I was not looking for faith, I could have gone to thousands of other religions that offer the same.

I found the bible cruel, I found god to be a character that I only could feel pity and disdain towards.
If I may ask, why pity and disdain?
God is love. Because the love that He provides us with is the greatest love of all. And it is because of Him that we are able to love others, since He loved us first.

If you want to know more just pm me. :) He loves you despite what you might think.
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

Shining Star wrote:

If I had to guess, I would say it's probably most of the things in the old testament.
Yeah, you were right about me, but can I get myself out from underneath this guilt that will crush me? in the choir, I saw our sad Messiah he was bored and tired of my laments
He said, "I died for you one time, but never again"
Shining Star

Post by Shining Star »

Pennyroyal Tea wrote:
Shining Star wrote:

If I had to guess, I would say it's probably most of the things in the old testament.
:-k I was thinking the same thing myself.