Two Questions

Talk about the website, offer suggestions, express opinions, and get help with understanding and using the forums.
Dark Lilly
Ex-Moderator

Two Questions

Post by Dark Lilly »

Question #1
Why do some avatars not show up on my computer when they do on others?

Question #2

Why do some sites I link to in Pic of The Day work fine and others get blocked or say something about “stealing bandwidth?”
Stand back! This old Otaku has PMS, a broadsword, a double bladed battle ax, a flail, dagger in her teeth and a pistol in her belt.
Kyle Bloodheart
Visitor

Two Questions

Post by Kyle Bloodheart »

Well, I can answer question #2.
It is likely that the website has been coded to prevent direct linking.
Whenever someone links to a file, aka a picture, download, music or whatever, it uses up bandwidth from the site. Many people can't afford unlimited bandwidth, so they do something like what you have seen. Prevent direct linking by redirecting your link to a simple page saying, "Stealing Bandwidth, and/or direct linking isn't allowed, or not accepted."
That is the most likely reason you are having that problem..
noodles87
Ex-Moderator

re: Two Questions

Post by noodles87 »

Well question #2 was answered well by Kyle. It was one of the reasons why our webmaster didn't like the idea of allowing choosen avatars from other sites. The best thing to do is just save the avatar onto your computer and upload it to your Photobucket or Imageshack account. Both sites are free.

Question #1: It's most likely something to do with what image software you have installed on your computer. If you have Macromedia Fireworks, a .png file would appear correctly. But say if you had none except Microsoft Paint, a .gif, .png, etc. may not show up correctly, yet you can still use them, but unlikely edit with programs currently on your computer. I hope that helps Dark Lilly?

P.S. Can i just call you Lilly?
I'm a facebook whore.
Dark Lilly
Ex-Moderator

re: Two Questions

Post by Dark Lilly »

>It was one of the reasons why our webmaster didn't like the idea of allowing choosen avatars from other sites. The best thing to do is just save the avatar onto your computer and upload it to your Photobucket or Imageshack account. Both sites are free.
++Well, question #2 had more to do with linking to anime galleries than it did with avatars but I suppose it's all pretty much the same.

Hmmmmm.... are Photobucket and Imageshack free? If so, that might solve some of the problems we have linking in Pic of the Day........? You think?

>Question #1: It's most likely something to do with what image software you have installed on your computer. If you have Macromedia Fireworks, a .png file would appear correctly. But say if you had none except Microsoft Paint, a .gif, .png, etc. may not show up correctly, yet you can still use them, but unlikely edit with programs currently on your computer. I hope that helps Dark Lilly?
++I'm not really interested in changing my avatar. The one I have suits me fine. I was just curious why some folks avatar doesn't show up on my screen when they say it is just fine on theirs. I run Mac and Netscape but I'm not sure what all soft ware is on it. Should be good. The friend that set it up is a graphic designer, web designer and all that. I can't make it do one fraction of what it is designed to do. As yhou can tell, I'm pretty much a computer illiterate.

>P.S. Can i just call you Lilly?
++Sure you can.
Stand back! This old Otaku has PMS, a broadsword, a double bladed battle ax, a flail, dagger in her teeth and a pistol in her belt.
noodles87
Ex-Moderator

Re: re: Two Questions

Post by noodles87 »

Dark Lilly wrote:>

Hmmmmm.... are Photobucket and Imageshack free? If so, that might solve some of the problems we have linking in Pic of the Day........? You think?
It should. Takes only a couple of minutes to set an account up and you're allowed up to 100 MB. Oh i forgot Tinypic is a branch of Photobucket.
I'm a facebook whore.