what was your first anime that got you hooked?

Discussions about anything anime-related.
Ryoko
Rookie Otaku

what was your first anime that got you hooked?

Post by Ryoko »

howdy..... i was just wondering what was the first anime you ever seen? for me it was the screaming/crying of good old sailor moon...... :D
I am the space pirate, demon caller Ryoko! I'm back in full effect, yah baby you ain't seen nothing yet!
BigKwell
Inactive
Inactive

re: what was your first anime that got you hooked?

Post by BigKwell »

I was only twelve years old when I saw my first anime, "Speed Racer" in 1972. Of course, I didn't even hear of the term "anime". The first anime movie I saw was "Galaxy Express 999" in 1980, but it was an edited version, I wouldn't see the full version until 1995. Since then, the series that really got me hooked was "Tenchi Muyo!" and since then, I not only wanted to see other anime, but I since then began collecting anime. My collection includes the OVA "Tenchi", not to mention "Outlaw Star", "Slayers, the Motion Picture", "Tekkaman Blade II" "Blood Reign", "Plastic Little", "Dirty Pair Flash", "Princess Mononoke", "Tokyo Babylon", and right now I'm in the process of collecting "Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum Series" and "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex".
"When I hear of Schrƶdinger's cat, I reach for my pistol."

Stephen W. Hawking
The Naturalist
Visitor

Post by The Naturalist »

My first anime was probably Trigun maybe Kenshin. Either way, Tim_Burton got me hooked.
Shippo
Visitor

Post by Shippo »

The first anime I might have saw was back when I was still in early elementry. It was "Sailor Moon" I think. It's true I did sorta like the show back then but I quickly grew to hate it.

Other than that, my true first anime that I can think of would be "Tenchi Muyo!" and all. I also didn't know the term 'anime' till later on when I learned of it.
puffster
Visitor

Post by puffster »

the one that got me hooked was "FLCL" i think
ThunderFlarz
Visitor

Post by ThunderFlarz »

Consciously it would be Pokemon. I first saw part of the series on the weekday morning cartoon show... hooked ever since.
Symos
Absolute Otaku

Post by Symos »

The ealiest I can remember is Starvengers from Force Five

That was long ago in my youth. Before I even heard the word 'Anime'.
In an uncaring universe it is up to us to determine our own destinies.
Hey
Visitor

Post by Hey »

That would have to be "My Daddy Longlegs" or "Watashi no Ashinaga Ojisan" which is the japanese title. It's a classic. I love it to the bones. I saw it when I was very little and from that moment I knew that I would have to dedicate my life to anime. I finally found the DVD set online and bought it. But it's in japanese and I don't know any japanese unfortunately. It's got english subs though, so I'm happy :mrgreen: Recieving the package with the DVDs inside was the single greatest moment of my life.

If there's a way you can get your hands on it, do it. Belive me, you won't be disappointed. BUT as I said, the only way to get it would probably be online, and I know some people hate buying stuff from the internet. But meh, it's your choice. If you want more info, just visit the World Masterpiece Theatre or just google "Daddy long legs anime".

P.S. Has anyone seen Daddy Long Legs? If so, PM me!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ryoko
Rookie Otaku

Post by Ryoko »

as i said before, sailor moon was the first.... i thought that the show was oddly drawn... hell i didn't know that japan had cartoons.... then i was shown dragon ball z.... tenchi muyo came next.... i thought it was all classified as toonami.... years later the word anime came to me and all made sense... now i can't get enough.... i watch whatever anime that i can find regardless of what it is....
I am the space pirate, demon caller Ryoko! I'm back in full effect, yah baby you ain't seen nothing yet!
*~Hakkai~*
Visitor

Post by *~Hakkai~* »

Akira!

Actually Star Blazers..1978, Akira was a bit later. I have Angel Cop, Project A-Ko and some others on VHS. Getting Newtype with the one episode dvd in it was where I discovered Saiyuki.

What can I say? It's my all time favorite... and more is coming out 2-18-05! What joy!

All things Saiyuki!
matthiasisking
Visitor

Post by matthiasisking »

Dragonball Z i was so into that show i still have all of the first 3 seasons on tape i recorded
Xbemos
Visitor

Post by Xbemos »

not sure about my first, just that one summer i started renting movies out of the anime section and through good and bad quickly got a major attachment to it. started looking for more and more to feed the hunger.
julz012
Visitor

Post by julz012 »

mine wuld b SAILORMOON of c0rze. i was small n u use t0 wake up 0n early m0rningz t00 watch it 0n dat sh0w 0n channel 7, wit dat puppet
J-Chan
Visitor

Post by J-Chan »

The first anime I ever saw was Astroboy when I was about 6, but back then it wasn't registered in my brain as "anime", just a cartoon. The first one I did, however, register was "Love Hina" when I was twelve, maybe? I've forgotten ^^;
J-Chan
Visitor

Re: re: what was your first anime that got you hooked?

Post by J-Chan »

julz012 wrote:mine wuld b SAILORMOON of c0rze. i was small n u use t0 wake up 0n early m0rningz t00 watch it 0n dat sh0w 0n channel 7, wit dat puppet
What, Agro the puppet?
rohanassassin201
Visitor

Post by rohanassassin201 »

my first anime i saw was, i think it was DBZ, but that was such a long time ago.