Fruits Basket; character disscussion--Akito

Anon
Visitor

Fruits Basket; character disscussion--Akito

Post by Anon »

Okay, I'm starting up this thread because the only other Furuba thread I could find in here is waaaay off topic and deader than a doornail. >_< Let's try to keep this one on the ball, please?

What I want is to hear other people's thoughts on the characters in the anime/manga Fruits Basket. Especially dealing with Akito Sohma and the rest of the Sohma family.

From what I read on the website...at least four (?) people here have a very hard view of Akito; his character descriptions seem to be extremely flat. What I mean is they are two-dimensional and do not touch on his character's motivations at all. They alight only on his cruel side, and yes, he does have a /very/ cruel side. But what of the other hints in the anime and manga...with his fear of being alone? Of dying? Of being forgotten? What about his hope to have the curse broken?

And for those of you who have heard or seen the delicious new scandal...

...spoiler space...
...spoiler space...
...spoiler space...

...that 'he' may just be a 'she'?

Any thoughts?
Venus
Visitor

I Dont know what ur talking about??

Post by Venus »

[b][i] :shock:I dont know what your talking about but I just want to say the I LOVE Ruroni Kenshin ( a cool anime show ) Kenshin is too cute! and I also think Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho is totaly sweet! I would like to get my freak on with him any day...(sigh) see ya later peeps!!!!
kagome
Visitor

Re: I Dont know what ur talking about??

Post by kagome »

Venus wrote:[b][i] :shock:I dont know what your talking about but I just want to say the I LOVE Ruroni Kenshin ( a cool anime show ) Kenshin is too cute! and I also think Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho is totaly sweet! I would like to get my freak on with him any day...(sigh) see ya later peeps!!!!

:shock: :lol: right!!
Visitor

Post by Guest »

>_< Okay...that's...random. Why don't you guys create a discussion thread for RK and YuYu Hakusho instead of posting off topic here?

I'm trying to debate FB charcters and plot.

You guys don't know about it? Fruits Basket (also know as Furuba) is an anime about a high school junior named Tohru Honda (female, age 16-ish) whose mother dies unexpectedly. One thing after another occurs and Tohru tries to live in a tent in the woods on her own, not wanting to bother her friends and family for help.

A week passes and on her way to school Tohru stumbles across a big house in the woods; she's shocked to find out that it's the home of her high school's 'Prince', Yuki Sohma. But Yuki and his family are not what they seem.

Tohru finds out, by accident after accident, that certain members of the Sohma family bear a curse that turns them into animals of the Chinese zodiac--whenever hugged by a member of the opposite sex. But that's only the beginning...

Hilarity, angst, and friendships ensue.
Anon
Visitor

Post by Anon »

Shoot, I forgot to sign in...the above message is by me, Anon. Sorry!
« p i n k p u p p i »
Visitor

Post by « p i n k p u p p i » »

I LOVE FRUITS BASKET!!!!!! ^____^ IM AT THE POINT OF BEING OBSESSED!!!!!! Ahem, well, with the manga at least. (i LOVE manga! I own Fruits basket manga >.<) Right...back to the main point...yes, all of the websites on Furuba that I have been to say Akito is mean, cruel, blah blah... he doesnt seem soo bad to me! its kinda sad no one likes him ;_; My FAVORITE characters are Isuzu aka Rin, Haru <3, and Aya... ^________^ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
« p i n k p u p p i »
Visitor

wait... change of fave chara's...
• Rin (Isuzu...is that how u spell it?)
• Haru
• Ayame
• Yuki
• Kisa...soo cute!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
« p i n k p u p p i »
Visitor

*myah huya huya huya huya!* IM OBSESSED WITH FURUBA...NO1 CAN STOP ME! *psycho laughter!* o.O
Anon
Visitor

Post by Anon »

_pinkpuppy_ wrote:I LOVE FRUITS BASKET!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hey pinkypuppy!

Glad to see someone on here likes Furuba. I'm not sure how to spell Rin's name, I think you're close though. I've seen the anime and heared a lot of the manga's plot from friends. I haven't taken the time to catch up all the way with the manga's plot line. It does sound extremely interesting these days, though. With the curse starting to fall apart and all the secrets within secrets. I'm not sure how far you are in the series, so I don't want to spoil anything for you.

For me, Akito's motives and actions are eternally changing based on his fear, which makes him so much more human to me. Considering how little control he has in his life, including over his own body which has been sickly since he was born plus knowing he would die young, it's not surprising that he tries to take absolute control of all those around him. Akito wants to live, but if he can't do that, he'll make sure that noone forgets him and that they belonged to him. That they owed him. You're exactly right, he's a very sad character.

Anyhow, I guess my views of the charcters are permanently colored by my friend's views (one an eternal Kyou fan, the other a rabid Akito fan...boy theose two are interesting to get together!). I'm not much of a fan for Kagure or Rin, for their broken relationships with Kyou and Hatsuharu. I am a supporter for Kisa and Hiro (he's so darn cute), but my favorite character has to be Momiji...or maybe Hatori. *Shrugs* What can I say, I like my guys angsty.
« p i n k p u p p i »
Visitor

^_^ I'm done reading the manga series--I read it in Japanese. Hatori's story is so sad. ;_;!!! I ordered the 1st DVD, and its not that accurate! I've also read "Tsubasa O Motsu Mono", "Those That Have Wings"---or is it those with wings? (my japanese isnt perfect!) by takaya-sensei!
« p i n k p u p p i »
Visitor

oh ya...

and that spoiler thingy, *tee hee hee* i know the answer...im not telling though! >.<
Asahi_Kasai
Visitor

Post by Asahi_Kasai »

I think if things were different Akito wouldn't be so cruel. Having a curse that's going to kill you would be really bad.

Akito doesn't even seem that bad, so yeah he beat Yuki, but you also see him holding the bird that always comes to his window. Then again that could be just loneliness or something.

Anyway I just wanted to say I love Furuba!!!
Miriae
Visitor

Post by Miriae »

Akito is one hell of a character. 'she' is very hard to understand.

Actually, when I first saw furuba (the anime), I hated him deeply for all the miseries he has brought upon the characters, but after reading manga summaries, it all changed.

Akito is not really as bad as they used to say. 'She' has beliefs that twisted 'her' mind.

Umm... I think I've said too much... so I'll stop here now before I give all the spoilers I know...
« p i n k p u p p i »
Visitor

i know ALOT of spoilers! ive read the whole series! i know who gave tohru the hat, the ending, who tohru falls in luv with... blah blah ^_^
miriae
Visitor

Post by miriae »

umm... pinkpuppy... is the manga finish already? Up to what chapter?
Amanda
Visitor

Post by Amanda »

In case you wanted to know who transforms into what, here's a list ((You can PM me if I messed up)) I'm just posting these in the order in which they come into my mind. =P
Ayame - Snake
Kagura - Boar
Yuki - Rat
Kyo - Cat
Hatsuharu - Cow
Shigure - Dog
Ritsu - Monkey
Kisa - Tiger
Hiro - Sheep
Momiji - Rabbit
Hatori - Dragon/Seahorse
??? - Rooster