Yesterday I woke up early and beat a grandma in line to get the last PS3 at EB. I decide to get Resistance for a Christmas present, so I buy the Collector's Edition of FFXII because it's on sale and I needed something to keep me occupied.
Much to my chagrin, while playing FFXII the in-game textures are a bit more jagged and have less brightness than if I were to play it on a PS2. People are complaining that this is happening with all PS2 games on the PS3 and Sony hasn't released a firmware announcement or anything to fix it so far.
I find this quite ridiculous since there is essentially an entire PS2 housed inside the PS3 in order to make it run almost all 9000 PS2 and PS1 titles.
Has anyone else noticed this? Does it go away when playing on an HDTV? Is this actually something that can be fixed with a firmware update?
Forum is closed. New registrations are disabled. Join our active Discord community.
PS3 Fails at backwards compatibility
-
Gravy-Trainā½
- Full Metal Otaku
- Posts: 213
- Joined: Oct 11, 2006 1:59pm
- Gender: Male
Re: PS3 Fails at backwards compatibility
Yeah, this is a problem with a handful of games, and FFXII just happens to be one of them.
There are different problems with different games so its gonna take Sony some time probably to come up with a fix for each game.
Looks like Nintendo is the only one who got the Backwards compatibility right, since 360 has issues too. Heh...
There are different problems with different games so its gonna take Sony some time probably to come up with a fix for each game.
Looks like Nintendo is the only one who got the Backwards compatibility right, since 360 has issues too. Heh...
Re: PS3 Fails at backwards compatibility
The only complaints I've heard regarding the PS3 has been about backwards compatibility and some glitchy issues. However, the exact same thing happened last year with the Xbox360. I personally find it ridiculous how people today criticize the PS3, when this same time last year, they would be Xbox 360. And no GT, I'm not pointing a finger at you, or Orion for that matter.
We all know the PS3 has not had a successful launch, in terms of hard ware or games, but the thing happened last year for the Xbox 360, which currently enjoys the most next gen success. The PS3 will most definetelty recieve a firmware update which will fix the problem.
Personally, I'm happy that I've chosen not to buy one till the bugs are worked out. I may buy one in the spring, when there are more PS3s available, and less bugs.
We all know the PS3 has not had a successful launch, in terms of hard ware or games, but the thing happened last year for the Xbox 360, which currently enjoys the most next gen success. The PS3 will most definetelty recieve a firmware update which will fix the problem.
Personally, I'm happy that I've chosen not to buy one till the bugs are worked out. I may buy one in the spring, when there are more PS3s available, and less bugs.
OniRuroKen=OniLawliet=OniKira
I promise, this is the last name change. And don't you dare take one of my old names. I'll write you down if you do.
Equality. Tolerance. Respect.
I promise, this is the last name change. And don't you dare take one of my old names. I'll write you down if you do.
Equality. Tolerance. Respect.
-
Gravy-Trainā½
- Full Metal Otaku
- Posts: 213
- Joined: Oct 11, 2006 1:59pm
- Gender: Male
Re: PS3 Fails at backwards compatibility
360 had a bad launch lineup, save COD2, and only select games were backwards compatible, but at least they looked just as good. Hell, the 360 made Halo2 look even better.
I really hope this is something that can be fixed with a firmware update, because if Sony comes out with an 'improved' PS3 in the next few months that has this bug fixed, there will be blood.
I really hope this is something that can be fixed with a firmware update, because if Sony comes out with an 'improved' PS3 in the next few months that has this bug fixed, there will be blood.
Re: PS3 Fails at backwards compatibility
It is...so I've read.Gravy-Train wrote:I really hope this is something that can be fixed with a firmware update
This hasnt deterred me from getting the PS3 which I hope will be on Friday. Hell, I already bought a copy of Resistance.
-
Gravy-Trainā½
- Full Metal Otaku
- Posts: 213
- Joined: Oct 11, 2006 1:59pm
- Gender: Male
Re: PS3 Fails at backwards compatibility
Early Christmas present or are you still on the pre-order list?Orion wrote: This hasnt deterred me from getting the PS3 which I hope will be on Friday. Hell, I already bought a copy of Resistance.
Re: PS3 Fails at backwards compatibility
Early Christmas present for myself. The only place close to my house that sells PS3s is a Best Buy, and they are out of stock but said they should be getting a shipment in on Friday. With any luck I'll be getting one. Though I had to go really cheap with Christmas presents this year. I think the most I spent for a gift was $11. HAHA...Im such a cheap bastard when it comes to buying things for other people. 
-
Gravy-Trainā½
- Full Metal Otaku
- Posts: 213
- Joined: Oct 11, 2006 1:59pm
- Gender: Male
Re: PS3 Fails at backwards compatibility
God speed and get there an hour before they open. I'd been setting my alarm at 10:00 for a week so I could call EB every time they opened. It took me 30 minutes to walk across campus to get there and by that time they had already sold 5 and I was fortunate enough to get the last one. Beat out the grandma in line behind me.Orion wrote:Early Christmas present for myself. The only place close to my house that sells PS3s is a Best Buy, and they are out of stock but said they should be getting a shipment in on Friday. With any luck I'll be getting one.
Re: PS3 Fails at backwards compatibility
Aye. Getting there early will probably be the key to getting one. Problem is I start work at 7am.Gravy-Train wrote:
God speed and get there an hour before they open. I'd been setting my alarm at 10:00 for a week so I could call EB every time they opened. It took me 30 minutes to walk across campus to get there and by that time they had already sold 5 and I was fortunate enough to get the last one. Beat out the grandma in line behind me.
Re: PS3 Fails at backwards compatibility
I hope it can be fixed with a firmware update. I heard someone say that the PS3 works a lot better with an HDTV but I mean COME ON!. They're not expecting us to buy an HDTV just so we can play the PS2 games, are they?Gravy-Train wrote:Has anyone else noticed this? Does it go away when playing on an HDTV? Is this actually something that can be fixed with a firmware update?
I loves meh Bambi
HOT! handle with care
Everyone has an enemy. It's why God gave us baseball bats. Well, He gave us trees, but we knew what He meant.
HOT! handle with care
Everyone has an enemy. It's why God gave us baseball bats. Well, He gave us trees, but we knew what He meant.
Re: PS3 Fails at backwards compatibility
No. The PS3 looks better with an HDTV... as would anything else on HDTV. The backwards compatibility problem wont be effected by what TV you use.Twilight_Demon wrote:I heard someone say that the PS3 works a lot better with an HDTV but I mean COME ON!. They're not expecting us to buy an HDTV just so we can play the PS2 games, are they?
