Page 1 of 2

Final Fantasy

Posted: Oct 06, 2007 3:47am
by tonyboy17
Hello gamers.

I've never played a final fantasy game before, but I'm quite keen on playing one. I enjoy most RPGs that I play.

Which version should I begin playing? Are all the games part of one huge storyline or do they tell individual stories like the Zelda games?

Where do I start to start playing these games?!

thank you

Re: Final Fantasy

Posted: Oct 06, 2007 4:04am
by Cold Revolver
Fantastic Thread amigo, you can call me cold, although I am not so cold, I have a deep warm hearted soul that bears many pudding snacks. Anyways...


Let us discuss the nature of the world, AA, that being the majority of AA would instantly tell you to Play Final Fantasy 7 but since your dealing with me I can honestly let you know that you should start with FF4 and go from there because it only gets better. The first 3 were great as well though not many could say they have played through them.

My personal favorite is 6 and my all time favorite is VIII. Squall Leonheart is one hell of a bad ass, he is capable of many feats especially when he goes limit break on yur arse, Not to mention his gunblade rocks. in closure I would recommend VIII. It can be easier to play than FF7, but the game has this neat system that makes the monsters you encounter stronger, meaning the stronger you are the stronger the monsters will become. That is my advice in a semi long nut shell. Enjoy.

Re: Final Fantasy

Posted: Oct 06, 2007 4:49am
by Cloud Leonhart
I started with X, personally, though you should go with Cold's advice and go with VIII. :heh:

Re: Final Fantasy

Posted: Oct 06, 2007 8:24am
by Amray
10 (X) is the best, 8 (VIII) Comes Second, 7 (VII) Is next, 10-2 (X-2) Is great too ^^. That ones if you like to see Cute Girls Changing clothes half way through a battle!

Re: Final Fantasy

Posted: Oct 06, 2007 2:59pm
by Pink Supervisor|EL
lol the music and the fact it's three girls only that drive X-2

I like FF 5, or the US relase FF2, FFX, and FF7

Re: Final Fantasy

Posted: Oct 09, 2007 2:16am
by Ethereal Blaze
NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PLAY 10-2!!!!!

ok, here's a good idea.

start with Final Fantasy 4. if you download yourself a Snes Emulator (preferrably Z-Snes) and the AMERICAN version (this may come under the name of Final Fantasy II) as its easier for beginners to the series. this is the only way to start.

once done, you move up to the PS1 favourite universally, 7. this game is much overhyped, and for some reasons, isnt worth it. however, the gameplay is very simple, and very similar to 4. the only difference is Materia. basically magic crystals you equip to weapons and armour for various spells or effects.

then, i reccomend 8. this is very different than the aforementioned, as there is no front or back row, and you have no MP, and no equpiment. kinda tricky to explain on such a short time span.

Final Fantasy 9 is another good one for beginners. it also has one of my favourite ways of learning skill, through weapons and armour. but, as a story, it is very poor.

then i would back track to Final Fantasy 6, which is one of the hardest FF's i have played. the way you learn spells is a mix between your summoned creatures (Espers) and through levels. each character has unique specials abilities, and is one of the last final fantasies to use this feature. a real gem.

move on forward to the all round best, 10. visually amazing, stunning soundtrack, and a pretty clichéd but well thought out story. this game has hundreds of hours of play should you wanna 100% the game. a beauty, and a must have.

phew... i'm beat... but, one more.

although NOT a final fantasy, it is made by the same (ish) company. Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time (PS2) This is the last good game Square-Enix has done. nay, THE ONLY GOD GAME SE HAVE DONE. worth the money, an all round hard game.

and this is coming from a die hard Square fan. DOWN WITH ENIX!!!!

Re: Final Fantasy

Posted: Oct 09, 2007 7:36am
by Hallow
The first I ever played was Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I later played Final Fantasy 1&2 Dawn of Souls. Then I played Final Fantasy 3 DS.

Re: Final Fantasy

Posted: Oct 10, 2007 8:44am
by Jamie Madrox
i started with seven
then went to 1,2 and 4 for the GBA
then played 8&9 for the ps
and went to 5&6 for the snes
then came 10 and x-2
now im on xii and love it

if u have time to kill final fantasy is the best way to go
but i say

start with the 1rst and work your way up

Re: Final Fantasy

Posted: Oct 10, 2007 9:43am
by Hallow
kakashiFE wrote: if u have time to kill final fantasy is the best way to go
but i say

start with the 1rst and work your way up
I assume you aren't including FF3 DS in that. You can only save on the world map in that game.

Re: Final Fantasy

Posted: Oct 13, 2007 11:25am
by tonyboy17
Thanks for all your suggestions! I read up on some reviews too.

And I've made the decision that I'm going to go with Final Fantasy 4 first!

Omega...as you've played 3 on DS do you think thats a good platform for the game? Because Number 4 is coming out on DS soon...and I have a DS :)

Re: Final Fantasy

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 2:07am
by Ethereal Blaze
good man for starting on 4.

i have my reservations on the DS ones, because they changed the graphics on 3 DS. you cant beat the retro sprites. they are so much fun. ^_^

Re: Final Fantasy

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 6:29am
by drake dragon lord
go with 8 that was the first one i played and it was the best my seconed would be 12 i like the new battle system

Re: Final Fantasy

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 6:33am
by Hallow
D4rk wrote:Thanks for all your suggestions! I read up on some reviews too.

And I've made the decision that I'm going to go with Final Fantasy 4 first!

Omega...as you've played 3 on DS do you think thats a good platform for the game? Because Number 4 is coming out on DS soon...and I have a DS :)
Yes, the DS is a good platform.

Re: Final Fantasy

Posted: Nov 13, 2007 9:21pm
by Robbie Hendrix
I started with 10 then 7, and worked my way down to 3 and 4, 4 not a bad choice but Id start out with a playstation version first myself.

Re: Final Fantasy

Posted: Nov 14, 2007 12:22am
by Cold Revolver
Hallow Ichigo wrote:
D4rk wrote:Thanks for all your suggestions! I read up on some reviews too.

And I've made the decision that I'm going to go with Final Fantasy 4 first!

Omega...as you've played 3 on DS do you think thats a good platform for the game? Because Number 4 is coming out on DS soon...and I have a DS :)
Yes, the DS is a good platform.
No way, go with the original.

Re: Final Fantasy

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 12:20am
by Yami Haga-Ryuzaki
I started with VIII when I was in fourth grade, mainly because I wanted to play VII since all my friends were going nuts about it - but it was sold out and I got VIII instead.

Turns out all my friends liked it better! xD

Start with any of them. I love the entire series really.