Forum is closed. New registrations are disabled. Join our active Discord community.
Anyone ever embarrassed to show their true anime colors?
Anyone ever embarrassed to show their true anime colors?
Yeah, I've heard it before and I'm sure I'll hear it again. The whole "who cares what others think about you" speech, but sometimes it just gets to me...Is there anyone else that is sometimes afraid to show their love for anime?
I by no means consider myself hardcore Otaku. I like to consider myself an entrepreneur of all. I'm a man of many talents and master of none. I'm your average anime-watcher, and sometimes I'd like to show my support. Although, and I'm sure I'll get some flamage for this, the anime crowd isn't the most...normal.
Stereotyping is what does us in. People see someone wearing a Naruto hoodie and it automatically means they make weird noises when thinking or coming to stops, they eat ramen for breakfast, they like cartoon porn, and are very animate in their hand gestures.
Despite not really caring what others think, most of my friends hate anime and all that it entails. Fine by me, I'm not here to convert non-believers. At the same time, the minute I mention something anime it's an all-out, free-for-all harassment parade. Of course, at that time I open up a can of kick-ass and put 'em straight.
I guess the whole relevant point of this thread is to see if anyone else relates or if I'm just some kinda freak for worrying about such trivial things.
I by no means consider myself hardcore Otaku. I like to consider myself an entrepreneur of all. I'm a man of many talents and master of none. I'm your average anime-watcher, and sometimes I'd like to show my support. Although, and I'm sure I'll get some flamage for this, the anime crowd isn't the most...normal.
Stereotyping is what does us in. People see someone wearing a Naruto hoodie and it automatically means they make weird noises when thinking or coming to stops, they eat ramen for breakfast, they like cartoon porn, and are very animate in their hand gestures.
Despite not really caring what others think, most of my friends hate anime and all that it entails. Fine by me, I'm not here to convert non-believers. At the same time, the minute I mention something anime it's an all-out, free-for-all harassment parade. Of course, at that time I open up a can of kick-ass and put 'em straight.
I guess the whole relevant point of this thread is to see if anyone else relates or if I'm just some kinda freak for worrying about such trivial things.
"Yeah, that's right. Turd Ferguson. It's a funny name."
-
Commander Sparx
- Absolute Otaku
- Posts: 1834
- Joined: Jan 07, 2007 11:26am
- Gender: Female
Re: Anyone ever embarrassed to show their true anime colors?
Don’t worry I understand, everyone in my school dislikes Anime or they don’t even know what it is. I really dislike stereotypes.
Commander Sparx from Planet Delta First commando of the Central base, Long live the Sliver Blades!
Re: Anyone ever embarrassed to show their true anime colors?
I understand it too.. u___u
People in my school doesn't like anime and in my class, I'm alone.
(i don't mind on being alone in school though, i have true friends on my japanese classes! 8D)
But I don't like stereotypes too.. u__u'
People in my school doesn't like anime and in my class, I'm alone.
(i don't mind on being alone in school though, i have true friends on my japanese classes! 8D)
But I don't like stereotypes too.. u__u'
olááá
L'Arc~en~Ciel forever~
o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o
quando pousar e abrir os olhos como seria bom se te encontrasse com um sorriso...
tchau~
L'Arc~en~Ciel forever~
o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o
quando pousar e abrir os olhos como seria bom se te encontrasse com um sorriso...
tchau~
-
Commander Sparx
- Absolute Otaku
- Posts: 1834
- Joined: Jan 07, 2007 11:26am
- Gender: Female
Re: Anyone ever embarrassed to show their true anime colors?
I hate when I’m the odd one out, put me in any group and I’m the odd one out.
Commander Sparx from Planet Delta First commando of the Central base, Long live the Sliver Blades!
Re: Anyone ever embarrassed to show their true anime colors?
For me it wasn't too bad in High School, since it was a very small school. It seemed like most people were ignorant of anime stereotypes, so it wasn't too bad.
College however has a good number of anime fans, and unfortunately they only fuel the fire. A perfect example that comes to mind is a girl that walks around the entire day with a Kon doll draped around her shoulders. I mean seriously, c'mon now. I'm not saying it's inappropriate, just is it really necessary and do they really need that much attention?
College however has a good number of anime fans, and unfortunately they only fuel the fire. A perfect example that comes to mind is a girl that walks around the entire day with a Kon doll draped around her shoulders. I mean seriously, c'mon now. I'm not saying it's inappropriate, just is it really necessary and do they really need that much attention?
"Yeah, that's right. Turd Ferguson. It's a funny name."
-
Commander Sparx
- Absolute Otaku
- Posts: 1834
- Joined: Jan 07, 2007 11:26am
- Gender: Female
Re: Anyone ever embarrassed to show their true anime colors?
Very one is different.
Commander Sparx from Planet Delta First commando of the Central base, Long live the Sliver Blades!
Re: Anyone ever embarrassed to show their true anime colors?
I work in a teorically serious place, and everytime or any reason my anime passion comes out, they look at me like a overgrown kid that never abandoned his love for moving images.
I tried once or twice to explain that there's a lot more... but now I simply avoid speaking about anime. It's useless.
I tried once or twice to explain that there's a lot more... but now I simply avoid speaking about anime. It's useless.
-
Jade_Steel_Hawk
- Moderator

- Posts: 1578
- Joined: Jul 14, 2005 8:12pm
- Gender: Female
Re: Anyone ever embarrassed to show their true anime colors?
I'm pretty open with liking anime, especially in art classes.
Some people have come up to me and are like, "Wow, I didn't know you liked anime!! I do too!!"
Not quite like that though.
I made it extra cheesy.
Anime has started a few of my friendships though.
Some people have come up to me and are like, "Wow, I didn't know you liked anime!! I do too!!"
Not quite like that though.
I made it extra cheesy.
Anime has started a few of my friendships though.
"The reason I have such faith in God is because He showed me there is someone I could rely on once I lost faith in humanity."
Re: Anyone ever embarrassed to show their true anime colors?
Very true Khorne, and something I had no idea how I forgot to mention. People see cartoons and they think automatically think kids. Since when did it become a crime for a grown man to watch cartoons anyways, American or otherwise? 
I'm glad to see that there are places that accept anime though. Art class seems like it'd be a good way of meeting other anime-lovers. People that share a passion in intricate detail and the fluent animation.
I'm glad to see that there are places that accept anime though. Art class seems like it'd be a good way of meeting other anime-lovers. People that share a passion in intricate detail and the fluent animation.
Last edited by Slash on Feb 14, 2008 9:36am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yeah, that's right. Turd Ferguson. It's a funny name."
Re: Anyone ever embarrassed to show their true anime colors?
I'm very secritive about my love for anime. People in my school hate it.
When life gives you lemons you make lemonade, but I say "LEMONS! Screw you life I want some freaking cherries."
I AM CANADIAN
[divinephoenix is my sexy genie]
This sig is owned by [L is my only letter]... She's also my sexy cat girl.
I AM CANADIAN
[divinephoenix is my sexy genie]
This sig is owned by [L is my only letter]... She's also my sexy cat girl.
-
Yami Haga-Ryuzaki
- Absolute Otaku
- Posts: 7355
- Joined: Jan 03, 2005 7:25pm
- Gender: Female
- Contact:
Re: Anyone ever embarrassed to show their true anime colors?
Most people in my school also believe that anime equals NERDS.
However, it's become apparently clear to everyone that I like anime - due to the fact whenever there's a break in class or general discussion at all - I whip out my artbook or a manga and start drawing/reading.
Everyone knows I like anime - and surprisingly they don't judge me as an all out geek.
I know two other people who like anime; one gets teased and the other is a boy (a hot one I'll add) who only gets teased when he's talking to me or said girl about anime. There are a few others who'll watch Ghost in Shell or Hiyao Miyazaki films - but we don't have any real otakus at our school.
I guess I'm not very embarassed about admitting it - but that's only because my social status is secured as 'that girl who wears that PIXIES jacket every single day'
...
I'm rather odd. xDD
However, it's become apparently clear to everyone that I like anime - due to the fact whenever there's a break in class or general discussion at all - I whip out my artbook or a manga and start drawing/reading.
Everyone knows I like anime - and surprisingly they don't judge me as an all out geek.
I know two other people who like anime; one gets teased and the other is a boy (a hot one I'll add) who only gets teased when he's talking to me or said girl about anime. There are a few others who'll watch Ghost in Shell or Hiyao Miyazaki films - but we don't have any real otakus at our school.
I guess I'm not very embarassed about admitting it - but that's only because my social status is secured as 'that girl who wears that PIXIES jacket every single day'
...
I'm rather odd. xDD
I wish to the starry sky, I pray to the Earth
and swear to a love that will not fade.
and swear to a love that will not fade.
Re: Anyone ever embarrassed to show their true anime colors?
I hope I find anime fans on college (maybe) next year... o__o
I don't understand why, but I know that maybe 1 or 2 guys in my class like Naruto (and i don't like naruto ), but they don't tell me about it! And it isn't because they don't know I like anime. If they at least talked to me, I could know if they like something else than Naruto...u___u
I don't understand why, but I know that maybe 1 or 2 guys in my class like Naruto (and i don't like naruto ), but they don't tell me about it! And it isn't because they don't know I like anime. If they at least talked to me, I could know if they like something else than Naruto...u___u
olááá
L'Arc~en~Ciel forever~
o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o
quando pousar e abrir os olhos como seria bom se te encontrasse com um sorriso...
tchau~
L'Arc~en~Ciel forever~
o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o
quando pousar e abrir os olhos como seria bom se te encontrasse com um sorriso...
tchau~
Re: Anyone ever embarrassed to show their true anime colors?
Perhaps they're closet anime fans as well? Admittance is the first step they say, and always the hardest.
I'm sure you'll meet people in college. It's where I met my first batch of anime friends. and LARPers... *sigh*
I'm sure you'll meet people in college. It's where I met my first batch of anime friends. and LARPers... *sigh*
"Yeah, that's right. Turd Ferguson. It's a funny name."
Re: Anyone ever embarrassed to show their true anime colors?
i don't think they could even be called anime fans... u__u (because i think when they were talking about naruto, they were actually talking about the game. now i remember i heard they saying something that sounded like a game)
Yeah, my cousin met a lot of interesting people in her college. I hope I'm as lucky as she is...
Yeah, my cousin met a lot of interesting people in her college. I hope I'm as lucky as she is...
olááá
L'Arc~en~Ciel forever~
o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o
quando pousar e abrir os olhos como seria bom se te encontrasse com um sorriso...
tchau~
L'Arc~en~Ciel forever~
o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o
quando pousar e abrir os olhos como seria bom se te encontrasse com um sorriso...
tchau~
- Aoi Sakuraba
- Absolute Otaku
- Posts: 2966
- Joined: Dec 01, 2007 8:28pm
- Gender: Female
Re: Anyone ever embarrassed to show their true anime colors?
If I was allowed to wear an anime hoodie I definitely would, I think I'd like a Burst Angel one or maybe a Strawberry Panic one. Unfortunately appearance is everything in my family and it just isn't appropriate to wear.
I have to dress properly or I'd get in trouble and it would look bad on my family.
(*Bleach 101 ARMY*) - General 陸軍大将 Rikugun Taishō (****)
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
Re: Anyone ever embarrassed to show their true anime colors?
My 'rents used to be the same way. Real conscious of family image. They always respected who I was, but discouraged anything too out of the ordinary. Unfortunately that's pretty difficult for an art student. Thus when I got to college it was time for the ol' mohawk route.
I was deprived as a child. Give me a break.
I was deprived as a child. Give me a break.
"Yeah, that's right. Turd Ferguson. It's a funny name."
