Sub or Dub? The never ending battle in anime.

Discussions about anything anime-related.

Sub or Dub?

Sub
44%
Dub
22%
Really don't care as long as I can watch my anime.
33%

Total votes: 27

Gyro Zeppeli
Absolute Otaku

Re: Sub or Dub? The never ending battle in anime.

Post by Gyro Zeppeli »

Karin Rengu wrote:I agree with Aoi about the earlier dubs. I like the Bleach dubs, the Naruto could use some work, and the Geass is decent (I can't STAND Lloyd's voice though. I mean, Liam O'Brien is good, but he just wasn't meant for Lloyd...)
I agree
And I'm the same way Gyro, I can understand German and Japanese better then I can make sentences and write.
Yeah.

I can actually understand a good deal of Spanish (for instance, I was able to watch and understand the movie Pan's Labyrinth without subtitles) and can understand Japanese just well enough to make sense of what I hear and read (though it involves a fair deal of deductive reasoning and filling in the blanks). But when I speak or write, I mess up with sentence structure and have a tendency to forget words, stutter, etc.
In the beginning was the Win, and the Win was with Gai, and the Win was Gai.

Raptor Jesus went extinct for your sins. He is the true messiah
Haoie
Full Metal Otaku

Post by Haoie »

Japanese voices all sound too darn similar to me.

So I prefer the richness dubbing brings. ADV and Geneon are especially good.
"Turn on your shine and hold me near"
Karin Rengu
Absolute Otaku

Post by Karin Rengu »

You see, I made that point in another forum but nobody agreed with me. Being American, all Japanese voices sound the same to me too, so I do like the voice range of the dubs.
Gyro Zeppeli wrote: I can actually understand a good deal of Spanish (for instance, I was able to watch and understand the movie Pan's Labyrinth without subtitles) and can understand Japanese just well enough to make sense of what I hear and read (though it involves a fair deal of deductive reasoning and filling in the blanks). But when I speak or write, I mess up with sentence structure and have a tendency to forget words, stutter, etc.
I always forget words when I'm trying to form sentences, in both Japanese and German.
L's Fan Club (Anti-Light)-President
Third in Command of the Black Knights
My Mod App.
Pink Supervisor|EL
Absolute Otaku

Post by Pink Supervisor|EL »

for me it really matters on 3 things that i look to in order

1) is it Licensed
2) is the series still continueing, and if it is how far behind is the dub
3) is it a decent dubbing where i don't bleed out of my ears

if #1 is a "no", i'm forced to watch subs
if#2 is that the jap series is really ahead of the dub series (e.g naruto and bleach) i'm not waiting 5 years to watch it, when fansubs are generally current
lastly #3 if i find half the cast portrayed or voiced horribly... i will probably end up dropping the show altogether, but that's prety rare for me to do that

really don't mind either for example the anime "Beck: M.C.S" i equally enjoy both the sub and dubbed versions (except one horrible part in the dub when koyuki asks an american girl "do you speak english" when there all speaking in english -.-' ), also the dubbing in Gundam:Seed was perfect and i enjoyed the english version alot more than the subbed (although the show itself wasn't as good)...then there's robotech (which is entirely/heavily video edited to make a new story) which had a great dubbing

it also depends on what you watch first, the Dub or the sub...depending on what you watch first you WILL be biased toward the latter.
Assassin of the Black Knights
Naru-chan's hubby50 YEN FEE TO CALL ME PINK
PINOY PRIDE ^_^
I'm in Dispair! (insert random social problem here) has left me in dispair!
Karin Rengu
Absolute Otaku

Post by Karin Rengu »

XD It is funny to hear things like 'do you speak english' in the dubbed version.
L's Fan Club (Anti-Light)-President
Third in Command of the Black Knights
My Mod App.
Pink Supervisor|EL
Absolute Otaku

Post by Pink Supervisor|EL »

XD it's the other way around the girl ask koyuki...i find those parts terrible and i would actually be glad if they took that out and switched it with a new line...just so long as it's like small talk and nothing serious...but then again it makes me laugh slightly
Assassin of the Black Knights
Naru-chan's hubby50 YEN FEE TO CALL ME PINK
PINOY PRIDE ^_^
I'm in Dispair! (insert random social problem here) has left me in dispair!
Akemi
Baka Otaku

Post by Akemi »

subbed cause when its dubbed they sometimes change some script that ruins the original story(got my point?..no? oh darn XD)
TheGodFather
Baka Otaku

Post by TheGodFather »

Depends on the anime. Something like cowboy bebop, i wouldn't mind watching in English.
Yes I know it's annoying when i space out all my sentences. Habits.
Sinsei
Master Otaku

Post by Sinsei »

Definitely depends on the anime. In some anime,it's best to watch it in Japanese with sub titles because the voices in English sound horrible.
The life that conquers is the life that moves with a steady resolution and persistence toward a predetermined goal.Those who succeed are those who have thoroughly learned the immense importance of plan in life,and the tragic brevity of time. -W.J Davison
Grell
Absolute Otaku

Post by Grell »

The reason alot of the english dubs sound so bad is because no one really takes it seriously here. I mean, there are a lot of good voice actors in america, but alot of the big brand stuff (IE One Piece) they just want to get it out and make money. No one really cares for quality anymore.

On the other hand, I really hate reading the subs on the screen because I have bad eyesight and its a strain to try to read it while still paying attention to the art. :(
Please, I am but a smol potate.

Past Names you'll know its me by: Demyx, Dreaming Awake, Lord Koryu
spinch1
Baka Otaku

Post by spinch1 »

The Hellsing OVA's have awesome dubs.
Axle Starr
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by Axle Starr »

It depends on the show for me
"You will not forget this devil's power....AND YOU ARE NOT WORTHY AS MY OPPONENT"
Tyche
Absolute Otaku

Post by Tyche »

I prefer the dub, since I tend to play anime in the background while I do other things.
"Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

"If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. You want to change the world? There's nothing to it."
Axle Starr
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by Axle Starr »

Ooo, I'm guilty of that mahself
"You will not forget this devil's power....AND YOU ARE NOT WORTHY AS MY OPPONENT"
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

I have found some dubs to be rather good, but not many. Mostly I's rather watch the original version when it airs on tv. I thank god I don't get Amerikan television here, I'd probably shoot myself if I had to sit through more than an hour of your anime channels.......just plain scary
(*Bleach 101 ARMY*) - General 陸軍大将 Rikugun Taishō (****)
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
Axle Starr
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by Axle Starr »

Anime channels? What anime channels?