Any Gun owners here?

Topics about anything not related to the other forums.
Pennyroyal Tea

Re: Any Gun owners here?

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

Cookie wrote:
Sasami Jurai wrote:Guns freak me out. :pale:
Guns don't kill people.
People kill people.
I will kill you...

sexually
Yeah, you were right about me, but can I get myself out from underneath this guilt that will crush me? in the choir, I saw our sad Messiah he was bored and tired of my laments
He said, "I died for you one time, but never again"
Mista Cola
Full Metal Otaku

Post by Mista Cola »

Cookie wrote:
Guns don't kill people.
People kill people.
Well, since we're using platitudes...
“And the National Rifle Association says that, "Guns don't kill people, people do,” but I think the gun helps, you know? I think it helps. I just think just standing there going, "Bang!" That's not going to kill too many people, is it? You'd have to be really dodgy on the heart to have that…”
Jade_Steel_Hawk

Post by Jade_Steel_Hawk »

I'm locked and loaded. :D

Not sayin' what I have though.
Mista Cola wrote: “And the National Rifle Association says that, "Guns don't kill people, people do,” but I think the gun helps, you know? I think it helps. I just think just standing there going, "Bang!" That's not going to kill too many people, is it? You'd have to be really dodgy on the heart to have that…”
Criminals are going to have weapons either way.
I like being able to defend myself.
I DO think that some people should not be allowed to own guns. Too many morons nowadays. :|
"The reason I have such faith in God is because He showed me there is someone I could rely on once I lost faith in humanity."
Tailtiu
Mobile Suit Otaku
Location: A dorm room usually; occasionally (read- when I have classes) the Nursing Bldg

Post by Tailtiu »

I enjoyed archery, when I did it. *all ready plotting to sign up for archery come next semester*
<3 life
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

Jade_Steel_Hawk wrote:I'm locked and loaded. :D

Not sayin' what I have though.
Mista Cola wrote: “And the National Rifle Association says that, "Guns don't kill people, people do,” but I think the gun helps, you know? I think it helps. I just think just standing there going, "Bang!" That's not going to kill too many people, is it? You'd have to be really dodgy on the heart to have that…”
Criminals are going to have weapons either way.
I like being able to defend myself.
I DO think that some people should not be allowed to own guns. Too many morons nowadays. :|
That logic is incorrect.
Yeah, you were right about me, but can I get myself out from underneath this guilt that will crush me? in the choir, I saw our sad Messiah he was bored and tired of my laments
Jade_Steel_Hawk

That is a matter of opinion.
"The reason I have such faith in God is because He showed me there is someone I could rely on once I lost faith in humanity."
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

Not at all, it is a matter of fact. So what are you advising? People have gun battles in the streets in their homes? You want to know how a gun is stored? Most of the time under the bed in a lockbox. How would someone get to the gun before the gunman gets to their kids? I don't feel like looking it up, but there are several studies on the subject that put into doubt how effective having a gun would actually be. You don't limit how effective criminals are with weapons by adding more, if anything that just gives them more access guns. The way to stop that is to instead give more funding and training to the police so that they're can better stop the illegal trade into places.
Jade_Steel_Hawk

I'd rather have my life in my own hands, rather than wait for cops to show up and do their thing. Ever heard of concealed carry? That doesn't imply a locked safe under the bed. If someone breaks into my house, I want them DEAD, not just imprisoned, where my tax dollars are going to keep them alive. Sorry, I have no pity for criminals, especially if they're trying to bring harm to people I care about. Even with capital punishment, all the trials cost an outrageous amount, so you might as well kill 'em on the spot.
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

So what are you going to do when/if you have kids? I would think the odds of them hurting themselves with the weapon are a bit higher than the odds of being robbed.
Jade_Steel_Hawk

I'll think about that when the time comes. A locked box would probably be necessary, or I would keep the ammunition separate but near. Either way, it would still be faster than waiting for the cops.
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

Or do you honestly think you could pull a gun out on someone aim and shoot faster than they could pull the trigger? Revenge may feel sweet, but I think that needlessly risking your life will not help you.

And even if it's faster, it doesn't necessarily mean it's practical/safer. I'm not saying don't have a gun if you enjoy guns, but saying that people need them to protect themselves is bs in that you'll have trouble getting you're weapon ready.

Also I'm assuming that even if you carry the weapon the safety would be on. You're probably better off learning self defense in that regard.
Jade_Steel_Hawk

Who says they're in the room that I'm in when I hear them?
Also, aiming doesn't take much time. All you need is a bit of practice. If someone is breaking in, the likeliness of robbing is higher than murder, so they might not have their weapon ready either for that matter. I'm not going to crawl into a corner and wait. If I go down defending people I care about, let that be the case.

I'm not saying that people NEED guns to protect themselves. Some people can't handle guns, or shouldn't be trusted with them. There are plenty of other weapons as well, but guns make things a bit less messy than...say a machete or something along those lines. Plus, they're a whole lot faster and take less force for the user.

What does the safety have to do with anything? It's just a switch.
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

It has to do with it being an extra step. Criminals would just have the gun pointed to you. And saying that they're higher for just robberies over murder doesn't really mean anything since I'm guessing that having weapons would provoke them more. But I should point out that I don't disagree with you, just your logic.
Jade_Steel_Hawk

That means they're preoccupied doing something else rather than having the sole purpose of killing you. If they fire a gun, that might wake neighbors and whatever. The safety on a gun MIGHT add an extra second, not much. I'm not saying I'll go into every bad neighborhood with confidence if I have a gun..heck no.
Athos

Post by Athos »

Damn wrote:
Guns don't kill people.
People kill people.
Best thing I've seen:

Guns kill people like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Edit: I understand, and respect, that the government on all levels have a responsibility to protect the citizenry. However, that does not mean the citizenry is to give up a need of defense. Too often we forget that we can fall back into Locke's 'state of nature.' Especially when a massive amount of prisoners are to be released, and too few law enforcement officials to help. And kids will get into crap, but with law enforcement training, you introduce your offspring to guns, and explain to them that they are dangerous, etc...and in time, show them how to use it.
Member of the ModSquad 8)
Pennyroyal Tea

Post by Pennyroyal Tea »

Athos wrote:
Damn wrote:
Guns don't kill people.
People kill people.
Best thing I've seen:

Guns kill people like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Edit: I understand, and respect, that the government on all levels have a responsibility to protect the citizenry. However, that does not mean the citizenry is to give up a need of defense. Too often we forget that we can fall back into Locke's 'state of nature.' Especially when a massive amount of prisoners are to be released, and too few law enforcement officials to help. And kids will get into crap, but with law enforcement training, you introduce your offspring to guns, and explain to them that they are dangerous, etc...and in time, show them how to use it.

You can tell a kid about sex and abstinence, but that doesn't mean that kids will stop having sex and doing drugs. Because sex and drug education totally has an effect on most kids right?

I'm not saying it won't dissuade a few here or there, but kids will be kids, and they tend to do what they want, especially when peer pressure enters the equation. Whenever you read about kids shooting each other, it's always because or when a friend/brother is with them at the time, it rarely happens that they just shoot themselves.

Also I shudder to think what would've happened if there was a gun readily available in the house when I went through my severe bouts of depression a few years ago. With the whole added culture we have going on who knows what effect adding more guns would do.