Should Avatar: The Last Airbender ever be considered anime?

Discussions about anything anime-related.
akichan19
Baka Otaku

Should Avatar: The Last Airbender ever be considered anime?

Post by akichan19 »

I love Avatar, and as most people (even die-hard anime fans) would agree with me, it contains a crapload of the most common elements of anime, most of the characters have Asian names, and Asian culture is so obviously infused with the western culture in the American based cartoon.

This is just an opinion-based question. If it turns into an argument the topic will fall flat.

Do you think that Avatar, though created by American cartoonists, should ever be considered or regarded as an anime? Why, and how?
Tyche
Absolute Otaku

Re: Should Avatar: The Last Airbender ever be considered ani

Post by Tyche »

No, because it's American..
"Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

"If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. You want to change the world? There's nothing to it."
SASSZAIN

Post by SASSZAIN »

No, because the art style isnt that of actual anime.
"You dont have to be alive to make yourself relevant.And you dont have to be a good person to be a hero.You just have to know who you are and stay true to that.So Im going to keep fighting for people the only way I ever knew how"-Vriska Serket
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

I have no problem with it being considered anime and neither does any of my friends over here. Hell I give props to the creator because I like the show.
Tyche wrote:No, because it's American..
Saying 1 animated show isn't anime because it's from Amerika and not Japan is like saying Japanese major league baseball isn't baseball because it's in Japan not in Amerika.
SASSZAIN wrote:No, because the art style isnt that of actual anime.
What is "anime art style"? peach girl is anime and it doesn't follow your typical art style, neither does NANA or Paradise Kiss or Requiem From The Darkness or Crayon Shin-chan

no offense but I think you all are acting kind of pathetic and closed minded.
(*Bleach 101 ARMY*) - General 陸軍大将 Rikugun Taishō (****)
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
Tyche
Absolute Otaku

Post by Tyche »

I call American animations cartoons, and Japanese animation anime. I don't see how that's closed minded.

"If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. You want to change the world? There's nothing to it."
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

whatever you all just go on thinking that japanese animation is different and more special than the rest of the worlds animation
Last edited by Aoi Sakuraba on Jun 26, 2010 9:27am, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
Hardcore
Absolute Otaku

Post by Hardcore »

I lol'd

Main Entry: an·i·me
Pronunciation: \ˈa-nə-ˌmā, ˈä-nē-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Japanese, animation, short for animēshiyon, from English
Date: 1988
: a style of animation originating in Japan that is characterized by stark colorful graphics depicting vibrant characters in action-filled plots often with fantastic or futuristic themes
Decisions to decisions are made and not bought, but I thought this wouldn't hurt a lot. I guess not.
Mai

Post by Mai »

Aoi, one being closed minded and the act of 'labeling' or classifying-better term-anything are two completely different things; not just by definition.

Lol.

I couldn't get past your first sentence, it irritated me too much.

/:
I felt like a race horse in a world without racetracks or a champion college footballer suddenly confronted by Wall Street and a business suit, his days of glory shrunk to a little gold cup on his mantel with a date engraved on it like a tombstone.
SASSZAIN

Post by SASSZAIN »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime
Link wrote:Anime is animation originating in Japan.
"You dont have to be alive to make yourself relevant.And you dont have to be a good person to be a hero.You just have to know who you are and stay true to that.So Im going to keep fighting for people the only way I ever knew how"-Vriska Serket
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

i'm post a few links here of some animation i want AA's opinion of if it's anime or not. I have my opinion of yes they are but i want your opinions. But of course my opinion is that it doesn't matter where it's made, animation is anime to me. I wont tell you the names of the shows or you'd just go look them up and form your opinions from where they are made.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/899/anime1b.jpg
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/3925/anime2w.jpg
Tyche
Absolute Otaku

Post by Tyche »

I'm guessing the first it Japanese and the second is French, but that's beside the point.

I understand where you're coming from, Aoi, but consider that most of us are Americans, so there's a difference to us, maybe not to you. (I dunno if you consider all animations to be "anime" since that's what you call your animations to begin with. Kind of like my parents calling anime "cartoons" because that's just what they call animated shows in general.) We're not saying either is better, we just prefer to point out the difference, since it makes it easier to look up/talk about.

Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

did you know that this is Japanese anime? Yes, it's batman, but Batman: Gotham Knight is made by I.G Productions which is a Japanese anime company :P
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2kjisMm3M9Y/S ... mation.jpg
SASSZAIN

Post by SASSZAIN »

Tyche wrote:I'm guessing the first it Japanese and the second is French, but that's beside the point.

I understand where you're coming from, Aoi, but consider that most of us are Americans, so there's a difference to us, maybe not to you. (I dunno if you consider all animations to be "anime" since that's what you call your animations to begin with. Kind of like my parents calling anime "cartoons" because that's just what they call animated shows in general.) We're not saying either is better, we just prefer to point out the difference, since it makes it easier to look up/talk about.
Mista Cola
Full Metal Otaku

Post by Mista Cola »

Aoi Sakuraba wrote:I have no problem with it being considered anime and neither does any of my friends over here. Hell I give props to the creator because I like the show.
Saying 1 animated show isn't anime because it's from Amerika and not Japan is like saying Japanese major league baseball isn't baseball because it's in Japan not in Amerika.
What is "anime art style"? peach girl is anime and it doesn't follow your typical art style, neither does NANA or Paradise Kiss or Requiem From The Darkness or Crayon Shin-chan

Rofl, wow.
Hardcore
Absolute Otaku

Post by Hardcore »

Dotdotdot..
Mista Cola wrote:Rofl, wow.
This, xD
Decisions to decisions are made and not bought, but I thought this wouldn't hurt a lot. I guess not.
Hakuren
Ramen Slurping Otaku

Post by Hakuren »

Aoi Sakuraba wrote:I have no problem with it being considered anime and neither does any of my friends over here. Hell I give props to the creator because I like the show.

I couldn't have put it better, not even remotely! =D>
"What kind of disgraceful behaviour is this... Kuchiki Rukia?"

袖白雪