Japanese translation help!!!

It's not nearly as complex as English, but as usual we find ways to screw it up.
Roy Hughes
Mobile Suit Otaku

Japanese translation help!!!

Post by Roy Hughes »

You know how in the anime Naruto in Japanese, they say the person's name then a word in Japanese? Or in a martial arts movie they say something in Japanese? Could you guys help me please and translate them? Please reply as soon as possible. Arigato!!!

Naruto-kun
Lee-san
Hokage-sama
Sakura-chan
kemo sabe
Proud Member of Homunculus Clan and Loving Animals Clan

Hoping to be a member of Bleach Clan, InuYasha Clan, Glomp Clan, and Chibi Clan too! :D

ANIMES AND MANGAS RULE!!!!!
Ryukon
Uber Otaku

Re: Japanese translation help!!!

Post by Ryukon »

All of them are honorifics placed after a name much like how we say "Mr./Ms." in English. "-kun" is a little on a personal level than "-san" and mostly used for guys. "-chan" is an affectionate way of calling someone. The "-sama" is basically for lords or people of higher rank.

As for "kemo sabe", I haven't the faintest clue.
Blue like. Like blue.
~龍子
Roy Hughes
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by Roy Hughes »

Lieutenant Colonel Ryukon wrote:All of them are honorifics placed after a name much like how we say "Mr./Ms." in English. "-kun" is a little on a personal level than "-san" and mostly used for guys. "-chan" is an affectionate way of calling someone. The "-sama" is basically for lords or people of higher rank.

As for "kemo sabe", I haven't the faintest clue.
Arigato! I still can't find kemo sabe though. It might be a made up Japanese word...but I digress.

Hoping to be a member of Bleach Clan, InuYasha Clan, Glomp Clan, and Chibi Clan too! :D

Dreams

Post by Dreams »

Wah! I can't believe you guys have never heard the word "kemosabe" before! It's Native American. This'll give you all kinds of background/meanings:

http://www.aaanativearts.com/article888.html
Пуля в сердце, мозг на дверцу...
"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." ~Romans 6:23
Roy Hughes
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by Roy Hughes »

Dreams wrote:Wah! I can't believe you guys have never heard the word "kemosabe" before! It's Native American. This'll give you all kinds of background/meanings:

http://www.aaanativearts.com/article888.html
Oops! I didn't realize. Sorry. I'm trying to learn Japanese so I wasn't sure.

Oh, btw, what is "otaku"? In the Full Metal Alchemist manga, they say it sometimes. Is it an insult or something? HELP!!!!

Yuki~
Absolute Otaku

Post by Yuki~ »

i read once that otaku could be the formallest form to talk to somebody....
^^
olááá
L'Arc~en~Ciel forever~
o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o o(•ω•)o
quando pousar e abrir os olhos como seria bom se te encontrasse com um sorriso...
tchau~
Dreams

Post by Dreams »

Otaku: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku

I was just surprised nobody knew the word, because it's part of our old heritage in the mainland USA, at least - something you grow up hearing randomly. But I forgot that the bulk of people on this board seem to be outside the US.
"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." ~Romans 6:23
Roy Hughes
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by Roy Hughes »

Dreams wrote:Otaku: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku

I was just surprised nobody knew the word, because it's part of our old heritage in the mainland USA, at least - something you grow up hearing randomly. But I forgot that the bulk of people on this board seem to be outside the US.
(reads article)

Oh, I see! So when Edward Elric (Full Metal Alchemist) says, "Engineering Otaku!" he's saying, "Engineering Nerd!" or when Winry Rockbell (FMA) says, "Alchemy Otaku!" Sugoi!

sasuke_rocklee
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by sasuke_rocklee »

what do u mean on the personal level for -kun? goodness i never understand these things
Fall down seven times, stand up eight.
Ethereal Blaze
Absolute Otaku

Post by Ethereal Blaze »

Kun is like an affectionate term used on guys. like:

Iruka-kun would incinuate that me and Iruka were close friends.

Sasuke-Chan would incinuate that me and you were close (since your female, it hasta be chan)

thats probably the best way i can describe it from what i have read on older threads, manga, and listening to anime in jap.
Hate cheats?
Love competition?
Son's of Snakes.
See you on the battlefield...
sasuke_rocklee
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by sasuke_rocklee »

oooo THANX!
Dreams

Post by Dreams »

-kun is informal between friends. It is traditionally a male term, but things continue to modernize between the genders in Japan, so it wouldn't be impossible to hear -kun at the end of a girl's name. (Although she might be tomboyish.)
geishaboy
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by geishaboy »

Dreams wrote:-kun is informal between friends. It is traditionally a male term, but things continue to modernize between the genders in Japan, so it wouldn't be impossible to hear -kun at the end of a girl's name. (Although she might be tomboyish.)
Most commonly you will find a superior in an employment setting addressing the younger female workers with ~kun

Yeah, language changes

I have even heard some Japanese girls refer to themselves with "boku", which took a minute to sink in
sasuke_rocklee
Mobile Suit Otaku

Post by sasuke_rocklee »

::hehe:: boku? i guess languages DO change as you say
and thanx again!
florencepugh
Baka Otaku

Post by florencepugh »

In Japanese anime like Naruto, honorifics are commonly used as a linguistic and cultural aspect to convey relationships and respect between characters. For example, "kun" is used for familiarity and affection towards someone of equal or younger age, while "san" is a polite honorific similar to "Mr." or "Ms." used to address someone respectfully.
marnos
Baka Otaku

Post by marnos »

florencepugh wrote: Jun 28, 2023 7:47am In Japanese anime like Naruto, honorifics are commonly used as a linguistic and cultural aspect to convey relationships and respect between characters. For example, "kun" is used for familiarity and affection towards someone of equal or younger age, while "san" is a polite honorific similar to "Mr." or "Ms." used to address someone respectfully.
You're absolutely right! These linguistic nuances add depth to the characters' interactions and can offer non-Japanese viewers insight into the subtleties of Japanese social customs.