Is it hard?

It's not nearly as complex as English, but as usual we find ways to screw it up.
Rickster
Master Otaku

Is it hard?

Post by Rickster »

How hard is it to learn to read Japanese? I would love to be able to read it so I can buy the comics, manga and games that go with some of the shows I like. Or maybe I could find someone who could reproduce all that stuff in English. :D Which would be easier
Ryukon
Uber Otaku

re: Is it hard?

Post by Ryukon »

Reading is a totally different if you're on a manga and games sort of thing...

For one, the Kanjis. Kanji is the hardest form to know and there are some that even the natives don't know. The Katakana's that'll be used might not be understood either. Like for instance, "suimingu" is an easy translation that turns to "swimming" in English. However, there are some like the word "arubaito" which translate to "part-time job".

Another point is that usually sentences and words like in the mangas are in rude and informal formats, unless the character is speaking in a polite composition.

Your last choice would probably be better. :lol:
Blue like. Like blue.
~龍子
StarrybluMew
Visitor

Re: Is it hard?

Post by StarrybluMew »

I study Japanese and I don't think that it's that hard to say. Sure, words like "Jigazugama" (Zigzagoon) are hard to say, but all U gotta do is break it down into chunks and then there ya go! Just try saying until ya get faster at it and POOF! Japanese!!!
Ryukon
Uber Otaku

Post by Ryukon »

StarrybluMew wrote:I study Japanese and I don't think that it's that hard to say. Sure, words like "Jigazugama" (Zigzagoon) are hard to say, but all U gotta do is break it down into chunks and then there ya go! Just try saying until ya get faster at it and POOF! Japanese!!!
Speaking has always been easy for everyone. The reading and/or writing is another story.

Remember back in the old days where slavery was just abolished for the African Americans? They could speak, but they couldn't read or write.

Same as us when we were kids. We could talk, but not so much as read all that well.

If one was to go to Japan with only speaking under their belt, they wouldn't really get very far if they want to travel around. I don't think the people will like it if you asked them to read the newspaper or schedule board for you... :lol:
Blue like. Like blue.
~龍子
.:*Saiko*:.
Visitor

Post by .:*Saiko*:. »

I don't think japanese is hard...ok.. I was born in Japan and I'm still living here, so...But, speaking English is really hard for me....
and my grammar isn't pretty good... :twitch: :twitch: :twitch:

Well... I have a friend that came from the USA, she's been living here for 3 years. And what she thinks it's the most difficult is the pronounce.
But.......
Inuyasha-sama
Absolute Otaku

Post by Inuyasha-sama »

Are you from Tokyo?
Black cat is my pet cat!
Mik3 is an awesome buddy =D
.:*Saiko*:.
Visitor

Post by .:*Saiko*:. »

No, I'm from Kumamoto-ken.
Ryukon
Uber Otaku

Post by Ryukon »

Whatever language you learn first, it won't seem hard to you since you use it every day and your whole environment is using it as well. Although as you get older, if you want to learn a different language out of your major, it does become somewhat difficult. Usually the best time to learn something is when your younger, that way you have more time to excel in it.

Your grammer is pretty good than some that are surrounded in an English speaking nation.

English is one of the most complicated languages of the world so far. We have too many ways to say the same thing and a wide variety of words to use, and more.
Blue like. Like blue.
~龍子
Inuyasha-sama
Absolute Otaku

Post by Inuyasha-sama »

oh......so you live in the Southern area.
Black cat is my pet cat!
geishaboy
Dragon Master Otaku

Post by geishaboy »

.:*Saiko*:. wrote:I don't think japanese is hard...
ななな何だって?俺は大学で日本語を勉強しているんだけど、だんだん難しくなっている。でも、英語の方が勉強しにくいと思う。

何かは漢字がたくさんあったら、ぜんぜん読めない

そして。。。

漢字が大嫌いなんだよ!

*ehem*

Learning Japanese is like hitting yourself over the head with a a sake bottle, and then drinking the whole thing
Ryukon
Uber Otaku

Post by Ryukon »

まあまあ。。。気を静めて、先輩。

Hitting yourself with the sake bottle sounds fun...lol.
Blue like. Like blue.
~龍子
asdfsdf
Uber Otaku

Post by asdfsdf »

I learn how to read so much kanji from u guys =\.
Ryukon
Uber Otaku

Post by Ryukon »

It'd be easier if there was a setting that allowed us to write in furigana...most of the time I'm pretty much guessing on just what the kanji means when I read the whole sentence.

Needless to say, that idea doesn't really get me very far.
Blue like. Like blue.
~龍子
asdfsdf
Uber Otaku

Post by asdfsdf »

Lol. Furigana would be godly. But still, I'm getting used to reading (Not writing, obviously) the kanji, which comes in handy when I'm translating songs for anime when I do karaoke and stuff. (Usually it's furigana, so I don't really have to know the kanji, just hiragana)
Inuyasha-sama
Absolute Otaku

Post by Inuyasha-sama »

Kanji is really easy. :mrgreen:
Black cat is my pet cat!
Ryukon
Uber Otaku

Post by Ryukon »

Inuyasha-sama wrote:Kanji is really easy. :mrgreen:
When I start my Chinese language class this upcoming school year, I'll get back to you on this one.

To DarkbearX-san: I would so love to have furigana, but noooo...unfortunately I can't. It's exercise for my brain and memory, which is for the better I suppose, but when it comes to new kanjis and new combinations, I start freaking out.
Blue like. Like blue.
~龍子